ipad2 home button not working

Discussion in 'iPad' started by martyx13, Apr 12, 2011.

1. martyx13 macrumors newbie

I just received my ipad2 today (germany), that i ordered online. after syncing it with itunes i turned it on went straight to settings and when i was done and wanted to go back to the home screen the home button did not work. I tried everything (turning it off and on, restore through itunes) but it seems to be a mechanical problem. does anyone else have this problem with a brand new ipad?
    i called apple and they told me that they could send me a replacement, which would be a refurbished ipad, which really doesnt make much sense, since mine is brand new. i could of course cancel my order and just send it back, but if i order a new one i would have to wait quite some time once again to get it.
    i now have a reservation at the genius bar at my local apple store for tomorrow morning, i hope they have a better solution...

2. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

Keep in mind that a refurbished iPad from Apple means they have taken a returned iPad and made it "like new" again. It may have been broken, or it may have just been returned with nothing wrong with it. Either way, they will have fixed any problems and made it as new as any other unopened iPad. But consumer laws requires them to tell you that they are not brand new, and therefore, refurbished.

3. navt macrumors member

Oh dear. I appear to have developed this fault on my refurbed iPad 1.

4. stevearm macrumors 6502a

Brand new iPad 2, just developed the fault after a couple of weeks of using it fine. :mad:

5. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

6. stevearm macrumors 6502a

My main computer I use to sync my iPad is a PC, but I do have a macbook. Can I connect it to that and use XCode to enable the 4 finger gestures? Or does it have to be synced to a computer, which I can't do on my macbook.

7. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

You can enable the gestures with a PC. You have to add two lines to a .plist file. You can't enable/disable them in settings though...You have to remove the two lines to turn them off. I'll find the link.

http://www.icopybot.com/blog/enable-multitouch-gestures-on-ipad-without-jailbreaking.htm

8. stevearm macrumors 6502a