iPad2 - iMovie - 1080p

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Terrified, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Terrified macrumors regular

Forgive me if this has been posted elsewhere, but I couldn't find a post that covered question fully.

I have a collection of 720p video cameras, including a Flip Mino HD, my iPhone 4, and my iPad 2. I use them to create multiple angle clips of my band's rehearsals and edit them on iMovie on iPad 2.

Over on the iPhone forum the other day, someone posted linkage to iPhone 4S 1080p video demonstration, as posted on the Apple site. Of course, this doesn't open on iPad 2.

My query - anyone have any ideaat all whether iOS 5 or an iMovie update is going to allow iPad 2 to play/edit 1080p movies? This is going to make the difference between me continuing to use what I use, or potentially upgrading to the 4S. I'll not be able to shoot real time multiple angles any more, but the increase in quality would make it worthwhile - *IF* I can still just import and edit on my iPad.

2. Justim macrumors 6502

Just watched that part of the March 2011 Keynote, looked at apple.com, and googled it.

Nothing specially says the iMovie App edits in 1080p. It all just says HD. Weird.

But I'm sure you'll be able to port your 4s videos to your iPad 2. And it would be worth it for the video stabilization of the iPhone 4s.

3. Terrified thread starter macrumors regular

It seems odd to me that they've not mentioned it. Presumably the iPad 2 is 1080p capable, as specs wise it's over and above iPhone 4S. I just kind of need to know, as otherwise it's a pointless upgrade for me.

Anyone on iOS 5 GM iPad2 able to test whether the 1080p demo on Apple's site works? It doesn't seem to load on iOS 4.

4. Terrified thread starter macrumors regular

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this now that 4S's are actually arriving? Anyone able to test?

I know iMovie has been updated following the 5 launch but I didn't see any mention of 1080p.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=54.963962,-1.788517

5. Terrified thread starter macrumors regular

Yep. iPad 2 now plays the 1080p video demonstration on Apple's site, which it didn't under iOS 4.

Excellent.