iPad2: I've never owned an apple device and I need some advice!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RedStorm, Mar 3, 2011.

1. RedStorm macrumors newbie

Hah. That rhymes! Didn't even mean to do that.

I'm excited about the iPad2 - but have never had any dealings with anything apple and there are a couple of concerns I've had.

1) Will the iPad2 get a free update to iOS5 when it is released? I don't know how apple handles these updates and old devices.

2) I've heard that iOS4 has a strange/rudimentary file system (sorry if this is incorrect) - what is the chance that iOS5 will make the file system more standard for storing files?

3) How hard is it to move and sync files b/w Windows 7/Vista (ooooh I feel so naughty for writing that here :D ) and the iPad? I know that there is dropbox (does it work well w/ iPad?) but 2GB for the free edition can be a little limiting.

4) Lack of pre-order - I'm wondering if this means that there is a shortage of supply...any idea of how many an Apple store will receive? I know it varies by area, but is stock running out usually a problem on launch days? Shoot, I've never even walked into an apple store...

5) Is there a way to go ahead and buy app licenses that are on sale right now before I get my ipad and transfer them to the ipad when I get it? If I ever get an ipad 3, 4 or whatever, will I have to rebuy all my apps?

I know that's a barrage of questions, but I'm excited about picking one of these things up - thanks for your help!

2. Jcoz macrumors 6502

1 - Yes I am relatively certain

2 - Yes that's true, a file system such as OSX or Windows is not what you will find on the iPad, and its one of its weaknesses.

3 - It's iTunes, so It doesn't work quite as well on windows, but it works just fine IMO - I would use iTunes for your bulk initial transfer, and then Drop box afterwards, which works great BTW.

4 - Yeah I'm worried about a shortage as well. Who knows really? I wont wait in line, but I will be trying to get one Mar 11th.

5 - You can absolutely buy all the apps you want AFAIK through itunes now and it will sync when you buy it and hook it up to that itunes. No you dont have to rebuy apps.

3. poloponies macrumors 68030

1. Probably; you'll know for sure next week.

2. Anyone's guess. Apple likes to control media management through iTunes, so that's unlikely to change.

3. "Files"? You can set your iPad up for "drag and drop" transfer of media from iTunes (books, video, music). You still need to have iTunes active, but the media does not need to be stored in iTunes. As for other files, it really depends on the app. I've gotten into the habit of emailing work and other docs to my Gmail over the years , so it's not a big stretch for me to open and save through mail.

4. No clue.

5. Yes. The purchase is tied to the account, not the device. So you can download whatever you want before you actually buy the iPad and then sync it over. And if you have more than one i-device linked to the account you don't need to purchase more than once to use it on all.

4. RedStorm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks - you helped a ton. I doubt I'll grab one on launch - I'd like to know if there are any differences in ATT and Verizon's 3G service plans first (I doubt there will be).

5. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Regarding #4 on the list, it looks like Best Buy will have stock on the 11th as well. Even if there are less units on day one, you'll have a better chance of getting a unit. I suspect that most folks will go to Apple retail stores to get their units, so Best Buy may be a good option (my local Apple store and Best Buy are a minute walking distance from each other, so that will make my life easier).

Also, judging by initial reactions and polls I've seen, it sounds like there is a lot of interest in the white model. That will probably help too if you're wanting a black model like me.

Just my 2 cents.

6. RedStorm thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow. That's awesome. That's really, really cool. Time to do some app collecting!

Thanks to the BB info btw. I have both an apple store near me and a BB. Black 32GB 3G for me. Hope they aren't too many others with the same idea :)

Hey new question - are app developers good about giving you major version updates for free? Or do you (in general) have to rebuy when a new major version comes out? I won't mind rebuying (that's how software usually is), I'm just curious.

7. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

1. Almost certainly for free. If there is a cost (and again for the new iPad 2 I highly, highly doubt it) it is almost always below $10.

2. It's true. Steve Jobs has acknowledged the issue and I am sure iOS 5.0 will address it but likely not in the conventionally sense. It is my belief that Apple will offer free online cloud storage that works with iOS devices and your Mac OR Windows computer to make file transfer easier, similar to dropbox.

3. Dropbox has a free app right now that works great on iPad and many iPad apps have Dropbox functionality built in to save a step. I move all my files via Dropbox with no issue today.

4. Likely a combination of short term shortage and Apple wanting giant lines on the evening news on March 11. I am sure if you are prompt getting online on March 11 you can order your iPad and get it early the next week, that is my plan... I don't do lines.

5. Sure you can do that and the apps work for future iPads unless they stop getting developed and then don't work on future iOS revisions. An example is an app released for iOS 2.0 that the developer walked away from and no longer works with iOS 4.x due to changes, but that happens in the Mac/Windows world too. PS: No real need to buy the apps in advance, it takes seconds to do so from the iPad when you get it.

8. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

Apple's site indicates both AT&T will offer no contract plans with the usual pay as you go, month by month system of the 3G iPad 1. They do NOT list prices so I guess there might be a difference in price but I highly doubt it. Figure on 2GB of data for $25 a month from either but obviously check at time of purchase.

9. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

Totally depends on the developer. It is 50/50 in my experience. That said I think the new model since lower "upgrade" costs on the store aren't allowed is very much one of low prices for the app itself but then a new cost for a major upgrade. Instead of a $40 app and a $15 upgrade some day you get a $10 app and a $10 upgrade to the new version...

10. PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

No File System

Regarding #2, here's what I posted in a different thread:

iOS for the iPad was specifically designed to NOT have a file system. The lack of a file system is not an oversight, or something that Apple will stick in later.

Apple (Steve) wants the iPad to be used in an app-centric approach. You spark up an app, use it, the app saves your data, then you go on with your life.

We as a computer using society have spent the last 30 years setting up work processes and thought processes designed around files. In many financial reporting areas you can have 20 to 30 people generate 5,000 to 10,000 files each month. These files must be tracked, archived, stored, transmitted, and used. Many times one file is used as input to several different processes that each generate many more files (which are then used as input to yet more processes). This workflow is file-centric and cannot easily be implemented on an iPad.

If you have a workflow that is file-centric, do not buy an iPad. Many business fall in this category.

If you have a workflow that is file-centric, but you can switch to an app-centric model, then buy an iPad. Many of the previous commentators fall in this category.

If you have a workflow that is app-centric, buy an iPad. Most casual, personal use falls in this category.