iPad2 Launch in Orlando, FL - Advice Please!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rdflynn, Mar 10, 2011.

1. rdflynn macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I'm a Brit lucky enough to be over in Orlando on holiday at the moment and, to my eternal shock and awe, I have been allowed to buy an iPad2 while we are over here (I love my wife!). Also heard my first ever double sonic boom from Discovery landing the other day, but that's a story for another time...

However, having never experienced a launch in the US before (I did the iPhone4 launch in the UK *shudder*) I am in need of some advice. I am assuming that placing an order on the website and having it delivered is not such a good idea, as I am only here until the 17th and if it does not get delivered in time I'm not sure the hotel will forward it on, not to mention the expense! However, if someone knows something different, please feel free to correct.

So I am thinking of going to one of the stores in Orlando but wanted to know which one would be best, based on local good people's experience of this area. I realise neither store is going to have short lines but I don't want to be standing in line for 6 hours if I can help it.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Ryan

2. romeo.xk macrumors 6502a

I don't live there no more, but I used to... I'm gonna assume that you are staying by the parks, and the stores there are very congested, if I were you I would try to go to Altamonte Springs Mall, if I'm not mistaken they have an apple store, if for what ever reason you can't get it there, just drive 3 blocks to a best buy, or about 5 to a target and walmart.

Altamonte Springs is about 30-40 mins away from Sea World to give you an idea... Good luck!!

If you need more help on this, PM because I bet I will just forget to come find this thread...

3. cis4life macrumors regular

Agreed,

But I would / am going to the Millenia Mall. You can also go to the Florida Mall, but that mall is ALWAYS overcrowded.

4. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

I would skip the malls and apple stores altogether and go to a best buy or walmart or target. The lines will be alot shorter and there are tons of them around orlando. Apple store is a definite 2-4 hour wait. Ive lived in orlando for 34 years and the apple stores are always packed.

5. guitardave62000 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I am debating between altamonte mall and the millennia mall store. Altamonte will likely be less crowded but may also receive less stock in turn. I've also heard the Millenia apple store is better with getting through the lines faster. Either way I'd definitely avoid the Florida mall apple store

6. romeo.xk macrumors 6502a

The only down side I see with going to the millennia mall is that it is a lot closer to the attractions, and there will be a lot more tourists (like the OP), also, i think the kind of people that live in the area are more likely to buy the iPad.

I will also avoid going to a apple store, but the mall I'm going to has a Best Buy and Apple store, last year when the iPad was released I went there, and while the Apple store was packed, there was no one at BB, but I still had the apple store as a back up...

Another good thing about Altamonte is that every store that is suppose to carry the iPad 2 tomorrow is within minutes of each other...

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

As a former resident of Orlando, I would also recommend traveling up to Altamonte Springs Mall. The other stores closer to the attractions will be more crowded. Good luck OP.:D

8. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

9. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

I live in Orlando, and hope you're enjoying the city!

As for me, I'll be going to a local Best Buy store in hopes of shorter (or non-existent) lines, etc.

I was able to walk in on launch last year and snag one.

10. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Apple Store in Millenia.
    If too busy there is a Best Buy across the street from the mall.

11. rdflynn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, everyone!

Dear All,

Many thanks for all your great information. Unfortunately I was not able to get to the mall/a store on launch due to a combination of Universal Studios being very difficult to get out of (in a good way!) and my partner coming down with a flu type illness (obviously in a not good way).

I'm going to try and look out for one before I fly back in a couple of days but I don't hold out much (if any) hope of getting one, as everywhere appears to be sold out now. Just wanted to say how great it was to get so much good information and how great Orlando is!

Thanks again

Ryan

12. David R macrumors 6502

Ryan,

I'm glad that you are having fun at Universal. I'm writing this from my office just a couple blocks from the parks.

Grab a cab from your resort or City Walk and go to the Millenia mall. It's literally just a 5 minute drive Universal, there's an Apple store there. The cab fare should not be very expensive at all. There is also a Best Buy in the same general area but you can easily check their stock online.

If you don't want to do that, go ride the Harry Potter ride a couple more times, it's well worth it as I am sure you know. And Spiderman, gotta love that ride.

I hope your partner feels better too.

13. Phil Lee macrumors 6502

I'm going to be in this position on Saturday afternoon when I arrive with my wife and daughter. We're staying in Kissimmee for 2 weeks, leaving on 2nd April. I have a hire car and can travel around. I've saved the Millenia and Florida Malls in CoPilot but would welcome any other suggestions.

14. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Call ahead. As of Sunday the Apple Store was all out except for Verizon models. The local Best Buy hadn't gotten their shipment in. There are Best Buys all aound Orlando, and 3 Apple Stores (Altamonte, Florida Mall, and Millenia). Would save you alot of legwork to call around first.

15. Phil Lee macrumors 6502

I've saved details of all the Best Buys and Apple Stores in the Orlando area to Evernote :)

16. David R macrumors 6502

There is also an AT&T within a block or so of Universal Studios where they sell iPads. (407) 291-9335 - 4736 S KIRKMAN RD You could call and ask for stock information.

Step out of the Universal Studios resort (via Major Blvd), you'll see a Holiday Inn and Fridays in front of you, head left, cross the street (Vineland) walk uphill, and there is a shopping center to your left, right where Kirkman and Conroy meet. There's an AT&T store in there that sells iPhones and iPads.

If you walk just be careful. It's a very, very busy 6 lane road.