Ipad2, leather smart cover, clicking unlock sound

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Emdev2, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Emdev2 macrumors newbie

I just purchased a iPad 2 with the leather smart cover and the unit keeps giving me the clicking unlock sound just when the unit is being handled but in the closed position. I went to the Apple store. They claim this is normal.

Has anyone else have this issue? Seems very annoying. Is there something wrong with my iPad2? Are the sensors in this thing that sensitive? Even the slightest movement in the cover will make the sound?

2. JBazz macrumors 6502

Settings-general-sounds-lock sounds select off.

Hope this helps. The covers pretty much make the sound when disrupted slightly by handling.

3. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

Mine does this too. It is normal because even if you move the cover half a centimeter over, the screen comes on. The magnetic sensor or whatever isn't very big I assume.

4. Emdev2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know I can turn it off. At $900 I just want to make sure nothing is wrong with it. So yours does this also? Just the slightest sliding movement of the smart cover in the closed position causes yours to make the clicking sound?

Other people have the same results?

5. Emdev2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just find it odd that the slightest sliding movement by mm's side to side not even opening the smart cover is causing this. Surprised this passed quality control. The Smart cover is a cool idea but this constant clicking unlock sound by just holding and walking with the unit is very annoying and a deal breaker.

Am I the only one that is bothered by this issue because I couldn't find anyone else complaining about this. That's why I thought I received a bad unit.

Do the aftermarket smart type covers do this also or is it just the Apple version?

6. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

My smart cover will cause the iPad to click when I carry it and shift the cover, but I have to really try to move it around. Maybe there is something not fitting right with your smart cover. Have you tried taking it to the store and putting on another smart cover.

7. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Which would you prefer? A design that immediately senses a shift in the cover and wakens the iPad in a ready state or a less sensitive sensor that remains black for a second before the iPad is ready to accept input after the cover is raised? Apple obviously decided the former response is preferred by most users and provided a means to silence the sound if it's annoying.

And the answer is yes, other covers respond in much the same way.

8. Emdev2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes they exchanged the smart cover and it made no difference. They didn't want to replace the iPad though. Then I could have compared but they refused. So I took my iPad and the new smart cover and it clicked all the way out the door with me just holding at my side walking out!

9. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Your holding it wrong :p