Ipad2 looses wifi connection after a minimum of 20mins.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by cxwilliams, Jan 12, 2012.

1. cxwilliams macrumors newbie

My ipad2 has been a nightmare since day one.. I bought it just over 2 weeks ago and as soon as I got it I've been having isssues staying connected to a wifi connection. I tried everything from resetting the network settings to checking the router. However I have 5 pc's connected to the router without any issues. I also checked my mothers iPad2 and my friends all of which have the same issue. So like a normal person I called apple and boy how I wish I never.. There customer service is nothing but awful.. From the start I was treated like sh@t with a snooty apple obsessed man on the other side who was very rude, and who at one time told me to stop talking about other peoples ipad2 which I was only stating that I know many people who are having the same issue so replacing or calling it in for a repair would be pointless, but he didn't like that.. However sorry about that haha, I took it in my own hands to fix.. It was simple go into your router and change it from apples recommended WPA2 setting and downgrade it to a WEP connection.. This has stabled the ipad connection and has also improved my home networking. Oh and also a lot of people have been finding that setting your iPads brightness to max has boosted signal daft as it sounds it helps.. Apple really need to sort themselves out software wise and customer care wise because frankly 90 days phone assistance with a 1 year warranty doesn't make scence to me. Sh@t company good products when working. ;)

2. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Ok is your iPad loosing the wifi while your on it or when it goes to sleep ?

3. ghostworld macrumors member

ghostworld

I've had my iPad 2 since November, and I've never had any issues with wifi ever. Whether it be at my house, friends or family, or public wifi. I haven't heard anyone I know with an iPad complain about this either.

4. cxwilliams thread starter macrumors newbie

It would randomly stop working while I use it.. So when I'm streaming a video it'll just stop loading half way through.. And eventually say cannot connect to the Internet, even though it says it's connected.

I know of so far 4 ipad2 and 2iphones that are having issues.. However it is not a hardware issue at all. As it is working now that I put the security setting to WEP instead of WPA2 that it was already on and which apple recommend. When it's connected to WPA2 it looses Connection after a minimum of 20mins max 1hour 30mins. This states software failure.. So let's hope there next OS fixes this..

However I will not be contacting them ever again for help as they are rude and you only end up calling for what seems to be more of a debate rather than customer technical help, as your instantly comfrunted by a apple fan boy and everyone knows how hard it is to convince them there's an issue and that apple arnt perfect... Never again will I buy an apple product this will be my last.

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I seriously doubt what you are saying is true.

Apple products have the highest consumer satisfaction in the industry. They are definitely not "rude" and they are paid to help customers, not to deny problems.

If you can replicate your problem in store, they'll replace a device for you. Otherwise if it works fine in the store and you have problem at home, then I bet it's your router's fault.

6. ghostworld macrumors member

ghostworld

I don't know if this is true. My friend and sister both use wpa2 and they both have iPads in the house, as well as I have used mine there and never encountered this issue.

7. cxwilliams thread starter macrumors newbie

..?

I'm sorry but why would you think I'm lying? The man was rude, he be littled me, he was so rude I spoke to the supervisor.. However the situation was real and not fake I have fixed it now. Thanks to googling it and finding a forum which helped me hence the WEP change. Apple arnt as reliable as Youd like to think remember every time they launch a new product is full of design faults..

Also I tried it on 3 networks, one at work and one at a friends and of course my own all with the same issue

8. number84 macrumors 6502

Do you have QoS enabled on your router? Suggest trying to turn that off and see if WPA2 will work again for you. I remember I had an issue with a D-Link router with this setup.

9. hismikeness macrumors regular

I'm confused. Do you mean loses or did you misspell loosens?

:cool:

10. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

Maybe a screw is loose, just need a screwdriver.

11. Kemba123 macrumors newbie

Same problem

I don't know why anyone would say you are lying about this. I have the same problem on my iPad, and have read in a few forums that many other people are experiencing the same problem also. Apple customer service was unhelpful when I called.

Every few minutes my iPad just drops the wifi connection, I don't have this problem on my iPhone or MacBook and it doesn't happen when I am using cellular data.

12. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

There could be number of reasons for this.

1.) What router model? Have you researched other issues with this make and model?
    2.) At what distance are you from the access point? Wi-fi only has a limited distance.
    3.) Are there anything between you and the access point that could be causing interference. Things that cause interference in wi-fi signals are microwaves, refrigerators, lead based paint (or other lead based items), and cordless telephones (not cell phones).
    4.) What frequency are you using -- 2.4GHz or 5GHz? The 2.4 spectrum is a very polluted spectrum. If you live in an apartment, condo, or townhouse, even your neighbors devices can interfere with yours.
    5.) Are you running DHCP or static IP addressing? If DHCP, at what duration are your DHCP tokens expiring. Although doubtful, the wireless may drop if your device acquires a new IP address.
    6.) How does your wi-fi work OUTSIDE of your home? Does it work correctly at a Starbucks, McDonalds, Panera Bread? I interpreted the comment "I also checked my mothers iPad2 and my friends all of which have the same issue" as they connected to YOUR wi-fi. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Good luck!