IPAD2 new purchase. Please advise!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jmenning1, Sep 30, 2011.

1. jmenning1 macrumors newbie

I own a 32 gb IPAD WIFI and love it, but its time to upgrade to a 16gb IPAD 2 WIFI. Please free to shoot holes in the following line of thought.

Because of the Cloud, I really don't need a 32gb IPAD 2. I use my current IPAD for movies, TV shows, some games, and internet. Most can be stored on the cloud.

The resell value will not be as good because of the competition entering the market (I sold the old one for $350.00). A 32 gb Ipad 2 will not have the same resale value when it's time to upgrade.

Am I right?

2. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

This is my personal opinion but I dont really think the competition is affecting the iPad's resale value much right now.... Even with the new kindle coming out I think the iPad will still hold its value well. I think the fire will take some sales from the iPad for those looking for an ereader on steroids... but for those in the market for a tablet with the ability to video chat, storage, cameras are still going to lean towards the iPad..... in closing I think you'll be fine when it comes time to sell your iPad 2 and upgrade to the 3.

3. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Until the details of iCloud are clear, I would be very hesitant to bet the farm on being able to use it as a substitute for local storage. A careful reading of the information on the Apple website, for example, indicates that while music "purhased from iTunes" can be stored in the cloud without impacting one's five gigabyte "free space," there's no indication that other music on your iPad can be similarly maintained there. In my case, I have about 14 gigs of music, of which only a miniscule portion was purchased via iTunes.

Likewise, there is no clear indication that the cloud can be used to store films whether purchased via iTunes or not. Nor is there a clear indication of what streaming features it will support for any type of content.

In short, there are more questions (at least for me) than answers about the value of iCloud. I expect those questions to be resolved with the release of iOS 5, but as I indicated, I wouldn't make too many assumptions at this point about the support it will provide if you elect to move from 32 gigs of local storage to 16.

4. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Why pay for iCloud (unless you're keeping within the 5GB limit). Just fish out the extra cash as a one off storage payment, if you need it.

5. lam93 macrumors member

keep the 32 gig ipad. unless you really care about a camera no need for the ipad 2. I actually wish i wouldve bought the 1 and saved 200 dollars.

6. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

You must be a really light user then, cause the iPad 2 does everything faster - including loading web pages. An iPad 1 would feel laggy compared to it.

7. lam93 macrumors member

you can't tell the difference unless you hold them side by side. whats the diff a page loads in 1 sec or 1.8 secs? virtually nothing

8. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

You reall can. The iPad 1 refreshes websites if you have more than 2 sites open. iPad 2 I can have 9 with no refreshing.

9. palpatine macrumors 68040

Obviously, the iPad will lose 20 or 30% of its value immediately after you open the package. If you priced a used one any higher, people would just go out and buy a new one. But, the resale value has stayed pretty steady at that high level with very little depreciation over time, so I think your theory about the poor resale rate due to competition is not very convincing.

In fact, I think you are also working with unrepresentative numbers. I sold my iPad1 16GB for much more than you sold your 32GB 3G. I think you sold it for too little (assuming it was in excellent condition).

As for the 16GB iPad 2, why not? There's no reason to spend money for memory you don't need. You seem to understand your needs well. I only differ about the justifications you are using for the decision.

10. sbddude macrumors 6502a

I had 32GB ipad 1 and upgraded to a 16GB ipad 2. I do not regret my decision whatsoever. Because of the timing, (sold my ipad 1 before 2 was announced) i was able to upgrade for free.

11. jmenning1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Many Thanks!!!

The replies on this thread helped immensley. I went with the 16 GB IPAD 2. I'll have to be more proactive in eliminating apps I never use. Thanks to all who responded.