iPad2 newb

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Flipadelphia, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Flipadelphia macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

So I just ordered iPad2 64gig. Over a week to ship! Some questions!

I travel from Philly to NYC a lot for for on the train. What is the best app to use for MS Office material?

I also have a message board I frequent. Anyone know a good app besides tapatalk for that?

What are some good games that i can get? To give an idea, I love fieldrunners.

What are other useful apps?

Must have accessories?

What data plan do you all use?

Basically tell me all I need to know.

2. 3dflyboy1, Jul 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2011

3dflyboy1 macrumors 6502

for all your MS office needs, I would suggest Quickoffice HD. I personally have Pages, Keynote, QuickOffice HD, Dragon Dictation, and Adobe Ideas in my "productivity" folder.

must have accessories:
    1) apple bluetooth keyboard (i bought mine used for $40 w/ shipping)
    2) this bag

that bag is reasonably priced at $21 and will hold the iPad, keyboard, and several other things. (charger, book, etc.)

EDIT: I also suggest GoodReader. It will view practically ANY file.

3. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

For games, my favorite is Cut the Rope. Have played through it several times and it's always fun. Civilization is a good one two, though I like the PC version much better.

I find Dropbox to be very handy (until iOS 5 comes out, that is) because you can share files to all your devices without having to sync everything to iTunes. You just install the app on all your stuff and it acts kind of like a shared network folder.

I've become pretty addicted to Wired Magazine on my iPad and I love iBooks--have read about 10 ebooks since getting it. If you're a gamer, EGM is distributing a free (until it's out of beta) digital version of their magazine every week. It's set up kind of like Wired. I've downloaded several issues now and still have not been asked for one dime.

Netflix and Hulu Plus are staples for me as far as watching video. If you like traveling or planning to travel to new places, Jetsetter is a VERY entertaining app.

The possibilities are endless. Once you decide what the iPad is to you, you will start finetuning your app selection

4. HazyCloud, Jul 15, 2011

HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

+1 for Wired too. I love it. I grabbed a year through the App Store for 19.99.

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

Flipboard.

6. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Electonic Gaming Monthly.

And someone else mentioned Flipboard--that one is awesome.

7. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Thanks, I already had it downloaded and had forgot. I wouldn't have gone back, but you mentioned it's currently free. Thanks!

8. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

SF Bags makes great stuff.

http://sfbags.com/products/ipad-cases/ipad-cases.php

I use the iPad cloth sleeve most of the time. It is pictured at the bottom of their page.

I second the suggestion for Goodreader.

I use iWork for reading and creating documents.

9. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

+1 for Goodreader (has built in Dropbox and SugarSync support)

Games: Infinity Blade, Sentinel 3, Worms Armageddon, SpaceStation HD

10. SXR macrumors 6502a

SXR

I absolutely second that. Flipboard is amazing!

11. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I have the incase origami sleeve. It changes from a padded neoprene sleeve into a stand. I'm rather happy with it.

12. weespeed macrumors 6502

I have the apple keyboard and it works great, but am going order this one.
    http://store.micgadget.com/292-aluminium-keyboard-buddy-case-for-ipad-2.html

Love Samurai HD fo the iPad.

Also have zinio and love that too.
    +1 on the Netflix app and Dropbox.

The kensington bag is pretty good, it is a little small if you want to carry more things though.
    http://www.ebags.com/product/kensington/ipad-sling-bag/201090?productid=10100531

I also have bestskinsever full body wrap on both my iPads. Would defiantly recommend that especially if you use the apple smart cover like I do. There is no protection for the back what so ever.

13. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

Love: Flipboard, Dropbox, twitter, ToDo, Bamboo Paper, Notes Plus, LogMeIn,

Games: I just grab a ton when they go on sale. Got like 10 EA games for 99 cents each when they usually got for 10$ each. Hardly play em (most I've never touched) but if I ever get around to it it'll be worth it :p.

14. duervo, Jul 15, 2011

duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

I find myself using these quite often over a lot of others that turned out to be "once in a blue moon" or novelty use things (in no particular order):

General Use
    Evernote
    The New Yorker Magazine
    Wired
    eBay for iPad
    UrbanSpoon for iPad
    Kindle

Work Use
    LogMeIn Ignition
    Notes Plus
    VMware vSphere Client for iPad
    VMware View for iPad
    The Bandwidth Calculator
    IP Reference
    iSSH
    IBM Mobile Systems Remote
    Documents To Go Premium
    JotNot Pro
    The SAN RAID Calculator

For case, I have the "Logitech Keyboard Case by ZAGG for iPad 2" for when I'm not at home. Around the house, I just use the Apple SmartCover. I have a ZAGGSkin on the back to protect it from scratches, and one of their "InvisibleSHIELDs" for the front (that I'm not totally satisfied with at the moment, but that's another story.)

Almost forgot ... for general news and what-not, I just use the Safari web browser.

15. EspressoQueen macrumors member

AppStart is one of the best apps you can buy to get up to speed on your iPad.