Ipad2 not charging?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iHeartsteve, Feb 22, 2012.

1. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I actually use a laptop to do work with and use my iPad simultaneously to surf the net. So I tried charging my iPad from my laptop w the USB charging connector and it won't charge my iPad 2, it will only sync it with iTunes.

I have Samsung pc laptop. But I'm guessing it won't charge bc iPad requires more 'power' ? It will charge my iPhone while I'm working.

2. number84 macrumors 6502

correct, the USB port on your laptop will not charge it while in use...and even if not in use, will give you a very slooooow charge.

there is some software around that boosts the power of the usb port. i've seen it on these forums before...maybe do a search or a maybe a nice forum member will find it for you.

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Comparing charging an iPad to charging a iPhone is like comparing filling a bathtub to filling a swimming pool. A swimming pool requires a larger hose to fill in a reasonable amount of time and a laptop doesn't have a "hose".

4. iHeartsteve thread starter macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Lol yes that much I have gathered from reading previous threads :D

Any ways to get around this?

5. btracy713 macrumors newbie

Hey I had the same problem, search Google for a piece of software called ASUS AI Charger, download and install that (will work on any pc), it's free, and your iPad will charge off your pc, works great

6. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I do not think so. I have a ThinkPad W520 and it even has a dedicated USB port that will charge a device even if the laptop is off. It charges all of my devices including a blackberry and Android but will not charge the iPad.

The charger is the answer

7. btracy713 macrumors newbie