Ipad2 now should I get the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PurpleSauce, Mar 23, 2011.

1. PurpleSauce macrumors newbie

After getting iPad, I am already in love! I am now debating whether or not I would benefit from the verizon iPhone. I might just be in apple puppy love lol.
    I currently have the blackberry curve 2.
    What sorts of things can I do with an iPad and iPhone that I couldn't normally do with just a bb.
    Thanks guys.

2. gquiring macrumors regular

gquiring

Usually when you buy an app on the iPad you can download it again on your iPhone for free. That's nice bonus of owning an iPhone. BB can't touch the number and quality of apps available. I would get one, but you might want to wait until the iPhone 5 comes out the summer.

3. AbeFrohman macrumors 6502

AbeFrohman

I'm sort of in the same boat as the OP. I use a PC for work, have an Android phone, but am anxiously waiting for my iPad. I spent a fair amount of time deciding between the iPad and Xoom (or waiting to see how the Playbook stacks up), but decided on the iPad. I anticipate it filling my needs. From there, I'll see if I want to jump to an iPhone, but I certainly wouldn't do it until the iPhone 5 comes out.

4. DVDxR macrumors regular

I'd wait until this summer and the next iPhone and iOS is announced before making a decision either way. I have a feeling that Apple may have some goodies up it's sleeve for iPad/iPhone interactivity.

5. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

Hate to say this, but it's your money spend it the way you want.

6. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Get as many iThings as you can possibly afford. Maybe even go into debt to get them.

7. PurpleSauce thread starter macrumors newbie

That is wonderful advice. I was also thinking of an apple tv...I think I'm addicted...mb, mbp 15", iPod touch, ipad2.... It's not going to end is it??? Lol

8. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

Don't forget about the MBA, and maybe an iMac or 2. :D

9. ravenas macrumors regular

It's Apple Infatuation. I've seen (and suffered) these dreadful symptoms myself.

I suggest the following:

- add up all the money you've spent on apps, iTunes purchases, iPad accessories, etc, then compare that to your last year's spending on Windows/Android purchases.
    - compare the prices of the current Windows Netbooks compared to the cost of the iPad you purchased. For browny points compare all the tasks you can do with a netbook especially in the content creation realm. Got a digital camera? How do you transfer the photos and upload online? Want to edit a Word document and e-mail it to a friend? Try the procedure on both iPad vs Netbook.
    - Try read an iBook anywhere BUT the iPad. Try watching a movie from iTunes anywhere but an iPad/Mac device.
    - Backup and sync your device to your WinPC via iTunes until the program inexplicably freezes and requires a hard shutdown. Factor at least 5-10 such crashes in a normal week's use on the PC. Usually when you just wanted to sync 1 podcast as you went out the door to go to a meeting you are now late for.
    - Compare the features of AppleTV to Roku and WDTV Live. You are paying the same for the AppleTV and getting LESS.

Don't get me wrong. I love my iPad. I've adopted iTunes for syncing purposes. And I even went for an iPod Touch 4gen so I had a smaller iOS device to carry around. But that's where I draw the line. Totaling up how much I spent on just this one device was a good lesson in the Cult of Apple. It's a slippery slope my friend.

Spread your eggs about in multiple baskets. I have Win laptops, use Linux servers, iOS mobile devices and am waiting to jump into the Android smartphone market. There are things to value in each.