iPad2 or Air Mac

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jimmymendoza, Mar 23, 2011.

1. jimmymendoza macrumors newbie

So like many here I've been trying to get an iPad 2 and like many i've been un-successful. So after thought and being frustrated on getting and iPad2 I thought what if I got an Mac air 11 inch. It does more than the ipad and its only a few more hundred dollar more. Has anyone here thought of this? Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

The Mac book is a computer. The iPad2 is a toy or Internet Appliance at best. If you are asking this question, you likely do not even NEED a computer and should just wait to get the iPad. If you need a computer to do real work, the iPad will not be enough.

If in doubt, get the computer first as it will do everything the iPad will do and so much more!:p

3. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

You should probably tell us a bit more about your usage model, as in, what are your needs and what you are currently using for your computing tasks.

Are you watching movies, editing photos, writing, emailing etc?

4. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

I have a MacBook pro and an ipad if you don't already have a main computer go for the air but if you do go for the ipad

5. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Agree with previous posters. What you'll primarily be doing on it is the key. Does the iOS app store have apps that will allow you to accomplish your tasks? Will you need a physical keyboard? And will you mostly be around wi-fi hotspots to access, or is anywhere, anytime internet access more of a priority? How much of a priority will long battery life be to you?

Chances are, unless you're doing something that requires a physical keyboard most of the time, or its beyond the hardware and software limits of the ipad, either should fit the bill.

6. jimmymendoza thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry. Let me be more specific. I already have a MBP, iphone and itouch. Now I want the iPad, but after waiting in lines and using the target, bb and walmart locater and all the madness just to get this iPad2. Is it really worth it? So after not getting one for whatever reason (sold out!). I was just thinking different scenerios like, the hassle of getting this ipad, when i can just walk into any apple store and get the mac air NOW! and have a full on OS/X system which can do more than the ipad2 and is light and portable like the ipad, but no 3G and longer battery life. Now I'm starting to blabber. Hope this helps. Thanks for the feedback guys.

7. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Sounds to me like you just want a way to spend your money. :)

Wait for ipad. You already have a laptop.
    The ipad is a completely different experience.

8. ActiveApp macrumors member

I have both as well as a imac and since I gotten my ipad2 last week I haven't touched my air. I mainly used my air for mostly web broswing and emails. If you have a main computer and looking for a second device than than I think the ipad would be a better option.

9. jimmymendoza thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree with you both. Thanks!

10. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I agree with what has been said above. I sold my 2010 MBP and got an iPad for more portability. It's excellent in that regard. I've done some light writing with it (type-tested myself at 72 wpm on the touch keyboard lol) and media/web browsing. I have an iMac at home that can be used for the hearty stuff. It's actually at home right now doing a batch encode of 15 DVDs. :rolleyes:

11. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Sounds like you want a iPad and are frustrated (I don't blame you) that you can't find one and the money is, as the saying goes, "burning a hole in your pocket."

Wait for the iPad2, you won't be disapointed.

12. CristobalHuet macrumors 65816

CristobalHuet

13. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

You need to keep trying to get the iPad2. Sounds like you got everything covered and you are just getting anxious because you can find what you want. Just relax and in a couple more weeks, iPads will be more easy to find. The iPad 2 is a great device as long as you do not expect it to do more that what it was intended to do.

14. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I agree, although I'd wait for a SB MBA if possible.