Ipad2 OS

Discussion in 'iPad' started by CartesianProduc, Feb 13, 2012.

1. CartesianProduc macrumors newbie

Sorry I am new and not too familiar with computers and such. But I was discussing iPads recently and a coworker said that the iPad2 does not have an OS and blah blah blah.

I don't understand his comment. Can someone help me? I thought the iPad and iPhone uses IOS5 (current version). What am I missing and what is it I don't understand. I appreciate someone taking the time to explain and helping me. Thank you.

2. WLS macrumors 65816

He meant that the iPad does not have a file system based OS. That is true and by design, IOS does not give you access to files and folders.
    Some people can't think outside the MSDOS box.

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Always consider the source. iPad would be useless without an OS.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Well, it's not just DOS, Windows and even Mac OS X are files and folders based.

To give a more concrete explanation, on systems with file/folder based OS, when you want to do something, like edit a Word document, you find it in your folders, click on it, and Word opens. On the iPad, thre are no folders, you just find the icon for your word processing app, like say, Pages from Apple, and once you open the app, your document is in there, and you start editing it.

Advantage of folder based system is it's easy for multiple apps to share a file. You can, for instance, touch up a picture in PhotoShop, then open the picture in a desktop publishing app to include it in your newsletter.

In iOS, you can pass on files from one app to another, but each app makes its own copy of the file, so you end up with many copies of the same file. This can get confusing really fast.

Disadvantage of folder system is people often forget where they put their files. In iOS, you just have to remember which app you use to do something, and open that app.

So each system has pluses and minuses, but which fits your needs will vary from person to person, and what you use your devices for.