Ipad2 - Refurb for $320 or New Microcenter $360

Discussion in 'iPad' started by caseynsahn, May 30, 2012.

1. caseynsahn macrumors newbie

Trying to decide which to buy...

they both have identical warranties.... right?

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

They're pretty much identical.

3. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

I finally got an iPad 2 refurb from apple for 319 and I cannot tell any difference from new other than the generic iPad box it came in. To me it's worth the 50.00 savings.

4. caseynsahn thread starter macrumors newbie

not to be picky.. but it's $40 difference.. (maybe 43 w/ tax)

5. Rodster macrumors 68040

I'd rather buy a refurb from Apple than used or refurbed from someone else. At least I know Apple puts in a new battery, covers and goes thru it for any additional issues it might have and repairs it before selling them.

I can't say that about anyone else.

6. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

I have a refurbished and it looked basically brand new.

7. noteple macrumors 65816

8. number84 macrumors 6502

9. dumaz macrumors newbie

I'm in the same boat as I can't decide which to get for my daughter. The deal at Microcenter is for a NEW iPad 2 and not refurbished. Either way it's a pretty good deal so you just gotta ask yourself if it's worth $40 to get new over refurbished.

10. Rodster macrumors 68040

If saving saving $40 doesn't mean much to you then go with new. You'll also have it immediately.

11. 671417 macrumors member

My experience with Micro Center is that a lot of what they sell is refurbished stuff marked as new.

12. HiddenPuppy, May 31, 2012
    Last edited: May 31, 2012

HiddenPuppy macrumors 6502

HiddenPuppy

Save the money go refurb and use the extra cash for a case of some other accessory.

HiddenPuppy

13. Rodster macrumors 68040

That's why I don't buy from Ebayer's who list as "New-See Other Details". It's a shame that retailers do this as well. It's like Gamestop selling opened games and sold as New that employees have taken it home to play. :mad:

14. migdaddy macrumors 6502

Refurbished iPad fer sher. My 16gb 2 is flawless

15. deeddawg macrumors 604

FWIW, the ones from Microcenter are brand new units. They're just $40 off the $399 list price. $360 new vs $319 refurb, I'd likely go with the refurb and save $43 (6% sales tax), but it'd depend on whether $43 was worth picking it up on the way home vs. ordering and waiting for it to be delivered.

I'd be surprised if a national retailer consistently did as you claim; since this practice is illegal, I'd expect they'd get slapped by the FTC pretty quickly. Have you filed any complaints?

I've bought stuff from them for fifteen years (I'm a couple miles from a store) and have never encountered anything sold as new that wasn't. Refurbs and open-box items have always been clearly marked as such. The openbox MBP I bought a couple years ago had even been wiped/restaged by the tech dept before being made available.

16. Rodster macrumors 68040

Like I said retailers such as Gamestop are notorious for passing used items as new. Newegg.com has now begun doing this as well, check resellerratings.com.

I prefer not to trust retailers as I would with buying a refurb from Apple where they specifically state in writing what they do to their refurbed iPad's.

17. al0513 macrumors 6502

Considering GameStop is known as a used game store.. how do you figure? They take in old xboxs and repackages them? Doubtful.

18. Rodster macrumors 68040

As I mentioned a few post up, "Games'.

19. jfulcher macrumors regular

Not in my experience. I've been going to Mircocenter since 1995.

20. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Tough call. One must also compare the real cost difference, tax for sale and perhaps gas for trip to MC. The Microcenter in northern NJ is in a bad area so they state lets them charge only 3% sales tax to help local businesses (I purchased a 13" MacBook and 13" MBP from them partly due to the low tax and great price). A refurb from Apple (and I have purchased a refurb iMac from Apple - looked just like new) cost me 7% in sales tax.

Anyway, it is a close call but if you need to spend and extra $10 in gas/tolls then I might incline to he refurb. I am still kicking the idea of a iPad around and the model of interest to me would be the base iPad 2 it would cost me about $12 in gas/tolls so for me that would be $383 (MC New) vs $342 (Apple refurb) so $40 for new. Very close call but I might incline towards the new and purchase when I need to be in that area to save the gas... Not sure if that helps but there it is. I About seven months ago I was thinking about an iPad vs $79 Kindle and picked up the Kindle and I am so glad I did as it is very light and easy to hold for hours. If it wasn't for that I would likely now own an iPad - of course if they made a 4 1/2 or 5" iPhone that would be me preference.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Why not save when you can?

I looked at my card statement the other day. All those $20-$40 charges add up to a lot of money every month especially when the list goes on for pages!

22. VFC, Jun 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012

VFC macrumors 6502a

When I bought my iPad from them a few weeks ago, the manufacture date was two weeks earlier than my purchase date. Can't get much newer than that.

BTW: the Micro Center near Philly has plenty of stock of all models and colors of the new iPad.

23. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

or as clever marketing puts it: "like New!"

24. deeddawg, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

deeddawg macrumors 604

I know nearly nothing about Gamestop; I rarely have time or interest in games, so thus never paid them any attention.

I believe the discussion was about Microcenter, which seems to be a whole different animal. They do sometimes sell openbox items at a discount, but the $360 price is for brand new never opened. If they got one back and sold it openbox it'd be another 10% lower ($324).

I wouldn't touch an Apple refurb other than directly from Apple.

In any event, it's trivially easy for someone buying an ipad to confirm for sure what they got from Microcenter is new: Just plug in the serial # on Apple.com and see when the warranty started.

25. poloponies macrumors 68030

Rest assured that if Microcenter sells it as new, it's new. I don't even know how this tangent came about, if there was a history of MicroCenter defrauding customers we'd have heard about it. I've been a customer for well over a decade and I've never seen anything like what the poster suggested.