Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sudaddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
Hello,

My boss bought an iPad2 when it first came out - he bought the 64 GB Verizon one. But soon all his friends suggested that he should get the AT&T one since he travels outside the US very often. So I helped him get a 32 GB AT&T one within a week or so from nearby Apple Store.

Once we got the new AT&T iPad2, we went to the store and returned the Verizon iPad2. When we were comparing/checking out the AT&T iPad2 along with the Verizon iPad2 at his house, we accidentally put the Verizon iPad2 in the new AT&T iPad2's box to return it. At the Apple store, we realized our mistake when the Apple Store guy pointed it out. But the Apple Store Employee was nice and he said that he will take care of it, so he put a white sticker on the box's serial number and took the return.

But my boss has a huge collection of music and movies on his iTunes, so we decided that he should get a 64 GB AT&T model. We ordered him a new 64 GB AT&T model. Now we are trying to return the 32 GB AT&T iPad2 back at the Apple Store, but they are insisting that we bring it with its original box - which we already returned a different ipad2 in the same box, and we don't have the box Apple is asking for.

We unfortunately don't have the return receipt (apple store says they can't print it again for us). We do have the purchase receipt for the iPad2 we are trying to return, but store guys are saying that it's isn't enough. We also have the credit card statement which shows the return amount.

So, to summarize, we have the 32 GB AT&T iPad2 (working perfectly since it's brand new and rarely used). We also have it's purchase receipt. We also have the purchase receipt for Verizon 64 iPad2 (the first ipad he bought). We have the box from the first iPad2 as well. We have the credit card statement showing the return credit from Apple Store when we returned the Verizon iPad2, but we don't have the return receipt. Now, what are our options? What should we do? This is an unique problem and we did not anticipate such an issue when we returned the first Verizon iPad2 in the wrong box - also given the fact that the Apple Store guy told us not to worry about it. Any ideas?

peled

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2010
Israel
Sounds likr your boss likes to play rather to work

Or at lease likes Music .
But on iPAD ??

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
Suggest to you boss to just buy another 64Gb 3G, and give you the 32GB since you've been so much help.

The problem here is that you lost the return receipt, which shows where you obtain the 32GB from. The credit card statement only showed you spent money at the Apple Store, not on what. So at the end, Apple could not determine whether your 32GB is a stolen property or not (no box, no receipt).

Your boss can also buy a camera kit, and store his movies on SD cards.

Pballer110

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
If you paid with American Express call them up they can do the return themselves when a company refuses to accept a return.

rowuncw

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2010
No offense, but if I were an Apple employee and you explained your situation to me, my first thought would be that you and your boss are trying to pull some sort of scam or something.

Sudaddy

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 25, 2011
Just wanted to post an update - I went to the Apple store just now again, armed with all information that I have, along with the purchase receipts verifying that both the iPads were indeed bought from the same Apple Store. Also, I had with me the credit card statements showing the credit posted on the account when I returned the first iPad2. Surprisingly and refreshingly enough, this time the Apple Store employee was really professional, listened to my story, looked at the receipts, and understood the problem and took the iPad2 return.

We regularly purchase Mac products from the same Apple Store for our business, so, our credit card, along with my company's name, email address are all listed in their business account - that's what made me surprised that they were giving me a very hard time. Admitted, that we screwed up in losing the return receipt, but again, according to their own policy, they shouldn't have accepted the Verizon iPad2 with the wrong box (ATT iPad2's box) - which they did and thus resulted in this quagmire. Now, when we are asking for reprint of the return receipt, I can understand, it's difficult to print that again, but seriously, how hard can it be, especially if they have a transaction log or a database or anything from the previous week? This is Apple we are talking about, not Walmart.

But I am very pleased and happy that the employee this time was extremely professional with me (previous couple times, they were simply being dismissive and quite unhelpful) and handled the matter quite well. Glad, this is all over and my faith in Apple's customer service has been restored.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.