ipad2 to projector (VGA)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by abnospam, Mar 10, 2011.

1. abnospam macrumors regular

abnospam

Hi everyone - I want to use my new ipad 2 for business which dictates I can project in a meeting room. As many of you know, VGA projectors are dominant in the business world - HDMI does me no good. I have heard complaints over the VGA adapter for the ipad as it is severely limited.

I need to:
    * Project Safari
    * Project Photos or Dropbox photos
    * Project powerpoints

Does anyone know if the current adapter can handle those things above? Many thanks.

2. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

I didn't read anything about VGA going anywhere beyond the severe limitations it already has....I wonder if this would let it work??

[​IMG]

3. kwajkat macrumors regular

kwajkat

I asked a similar question around the 4th and never got a response. Think everyone is too busy figuring out where and when to buy the ipad tomorrow:rolleyes: I was wondering if you could piggyback the vga plug to the digital one. The projector I need to use for my presentation doesn't have HDMI just the vga type plug ins.

4. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work. As long as you use the Apple HDMI cable, how would it even know (or care) that you are converting it to VGA at the end??

5. poloponies macrumors 68030

From Apple's iPad 2 accessories site it describes video mirroring via teh VGA adapter:

"Apple VGA Adapter

Share what’s on your iPad screen with an even larger audience by connecting your iPad to a TV, monitor, projector, or LCD display that uses a VGA connector. "

6. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

It only works with photos and a few other apps.....read some of the reviews or the product details....does not "mirror" like the HDMI cable does.

7. poloponies macrumors 68030

That's certainly true of the original iPad but I haven't seen any reviews of its use with the iPad 2.

8. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

I think the fact that they specifically introduced the HDMI cable as the only solution for mirroring without changing the description of the VGA cable says that.

They wouldn't sell hardly any HDMI cables if it was just a software change.

9. poloponies macrumors 68030

Because VGA is so vastly superior to HDMI??

Of course they're keeping a VGA option for the express purpose that the OP stated, presentations in business settings still use projectors with VGA connectors. Home theaters use HDMI.

10. MozMan68 macrumors 68000

MozMan68

So that's why their own video shows a teacher using it in a classroom setting??

HDMI is the new standard and I'm sure they could care less about VGA still being out there....

With that being said, the HDMI to VGA adaptor should work as I stated above as there is no way for Apple to limit what happens to the data once it gets to the cord.

11. NeedMoreVideo macrumors member

I don't know if it will work on ipad2, but I can say that the VGA adapter on the ipad1 does not mirror everything under iOS 4.3.

Considering that the mirroring is not a hardware feature, but an OS feature (driver-level) I really doubt that the VGA adapter will mirror on the ipad2

12. abnospam thread starter macrumors regular

abnospam

So the $1M question is if the mirroring on ipad2 and ios4.3 extends to the VGA adapter.

13. madddogg macrumors newbie

according to this article, the VGA adapater DOES do the mirroring on the iPad2.
    http://db.tidbits.com/article/12010?rss:

A Few Other Tidbits -- The HDMI video adapter for mirroring the iPad’s screen on an HDTV or HDMI-capable projector is a great addition, but I also learned that the same feat can be accomplished using Apple’s existing iPad VGA Adapter, making it possible to connect the iPad to older projectors and displays. Apparently, there’s nothing specific to the HDMI adapter that makes mirroring possible; it’s the graphics capability of the A5 processor in the iPad 2. An original iPad can use the HDMI connector, but only with specifically enabled apps and features that already play through dock connector adapters.

14. Meever macrumors 6502a

We completely forgot there might have been a hardware limitation that was preventing mirroring....

I guess the new chipset is just strong enough to mirror any content in 1080p now?

15. mrexchange macrumors newbie

I got my iPad2 hooked up to a VGA monitor earlier tonight, using the standard VGA adapter that Apple started supplying when the first iPad launched. Mirroring worked just great - no frame loss, and all features supporting including full view of SpringBoard (the home screen) and rotation.
    I made a short demo video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PhPLz_WF2c

So, the conclusion here is that mirroring is a feature of the A5 chip inside the iPad2, and you don't specifically need the HDMI cable to make it work.

Hope this helps all the teachers and business professionals out there!

Paul.

16. physicsguy13 macrumors 6502

physicsguy13

This is great news for me. I had already ordered the adapter and now I will get even more use out of it.

17. kcmac macrumors 6502

Could you hook up the VGA dongle to a projector and see what you find? Haven't seen anybody do that yet. Great to know it works for monitors.

18. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

Awesome, very pleased to know this, I want to hook my iPad 2 up to the smart board projector. The school's laptop is too big, clunky and slow for when we just want to view a slideshow or watch a movie with the class.

19. marly22 macrumors newbie

I too want to hook up my ipad2 to a smartboard but I also, want to use the smartbook software. Have you tried this or displayed apps on the screen for the class to interact with?

20. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

Way to bump an old thread.

But yes the VGA adapter worked really well on the smart board with the iPad 2. However there is of course no interactivity unless the children use the iPad, since you can't install the smart board software on it.

I used it to run apps, videos and keynote presentations for my class among other things. (The camera was a scream)