iPad2 versus Unlimited Data Usage

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rkahl, Sep 15, 2010.

1. rkahl macrumors 65816

When the new iPad 2 comes out, how will you get around the 2 gb limit? Currently I have the unlimited data plan, but I wonder how I can keep this when a new iPad comes out.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Which 2GB limit? Will the Unlimited Plan be limited then by some of the iPad 2's new features?

3. rkahl thread starter macrumors 65816

AT&T phased out the unlimited data plan. You now have only 2 options 250mb or 2gb.

4. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

The data plan is attached to the sim card though isn't it? If they use the same sim cards couldn't you just take the sim card out of iPad 1 and put it in iPad 2?

5. rkahl thread starter macrumors 65816

That's what I was thinking too, but wasn't sure. Better hope they don't go with the microsim like they did on the iPhone 4. Having an unlimited data plan is way more useful for me than a front facing camera!

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

But the iPad already uses microSIM, doesn't it?
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/apple-ipads-micro-sim-explained/

7. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

I read somewhere that people were successfully able to use iPad data on their iPhone 4... maybe by cutting the sim card or something.

I don't see why at&t would care too much. They let people who had unlimited data on their iPhone 3 keep unlimited data on their iPhone 4.

I think it would be bad for business if they downgraded the services of someone who was upgrading.

8. larock macrumors member

I'll pop the micro sim out of my current iPad (which is unlimited) and use it in the new one. Too simple. The data plan is connected to the sim not the device. I've used the sim in an iPhone 3G I had laying around and it worked just fine (had to make some changes to settings).

9. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

Forget iPad2. What about versions 3 through 6? Surely some has a crystal ball and is able to predict the future on unannounced products and services.

10. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Meh, I'm holding out for iPad7. That's gonna be the bee's knees!

11. rkahl thread starter macrumors 65816

WHAT... You don't have a CRYSTAL BALL! I thought you would have one by looking at your list of toys!

12. kenmarable macrumors member

Are you kidding?! iPad7 is such a joke, it's just 6 with only minor changes to get us fanboys to buy a new one! At least that's what I heard from rumors on Twitter.

13. Dillenger macrumors 6502a

Dillenger

It's the iPad Infinity that will really kick @ss, my crystal ball told me so. Yep, that's right my crystal ball has voice recognition and response.

14. gatearray macrumors 65816

No worries, the existing iPad already has a microsim, and the iPhone 4 is just a copycat!

:)

15. phenixdragon macrumors regular

T-mobile. Unlimited data. Not 3G but I am also not streaming movies. Plus I can just teether to my phone for 3G.

16. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I love my iPad but I will probably try another device if the next iPad has such a laughably low cap

My current iPad is everything I want but as I said in another thread, I come close to 2 gigs every month and I am far from some "high" user

So, if that cap is not removed, I will probably try another device that gives me more ability data wise

17. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

Me too, I heard they were going to use Swarovski Crystals and create a 3D image. :D

18. sapporobaby macrumors 68000

sapporobaby

I don't have toys. I have tools.