Ipad2 vs Galaxy 10.1; has any done a comparison?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by marc55, Oct 16, 2011.

1. marc55 macrumors 6502a

marc55

Looking to get a tablet in December and it's between the iPad2 and the Smasung Galaxy 10.1

Just wondering if any of you guys have done a comparison, and can outline the pros/cons?

The sales rep at the Verizon store indicated the 10.1 comes with MS Wror/Excel/Powerpoing already loaded. I'm not a heavy user, and don't need for business, but sill use them around the house to track expenses, read attachments, etc.

Any insight will be appreciated.

Thank you

2. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Ipad 2 would be a good choice because pages is word but much better and exel is numbers also the tab that I have seems to load web pages much slower and iPad 2 starts faster like 10-15 secs faster there both good but decide do you want speed ?

3. palpatine macrumors 68040

I don't own the galaxy, but I have read great things about it, and I think that the hardware is as good, and sometimes better than the iPad. That is not really in dispute (as far as I know). Even the frothing-at-the-mouth fanboys will grant that the 10.1 is a fine piece of hardware (perhaps also mentioning that it is a knockoff of the ipad).

He's lying or misinformed. As far as I know, the Android platform does not have an Office app. You can read Office docs on both platforms, and there are various ways to work with them using paid and free apps.

The real issue (in my mind) is whether you want to go with Android and whether you want to depend on Samsung to provide the customer support you expect.

4. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

I bumped into one of Samsung's lawyers the other day and he told me that he couldn't tell the difference between the two.

5. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

rofl good one:D

6. dmunz macrumors regular

Can the Galaxy run LTE? That might make a difference if you plan on using cell service. AT&T cell is fast but VZ 3G sucks compared to LTE.

FWIW
    DLM

7. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

keep in mind that the iPad fits right into your apple ecosystem.

8. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Not necessarily an advantage if you don't have (or want) an "apple ecosystem."

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

That'a true, but only the OP can decide the value of that.

10. Meanee macrumors 6502a

If you are looking into Android tablet, maybe it would be better to wait a little bit for Kal-El based tablet. Raw computing power of it would be a great advantage. In meantime, Tegra 2 is pretty mediocre, compared to iPad 2's A5.

And I do believe Google updated Docs for tablets, making it much more useful on a tablet.

I think best thing you can do is play around with both. A number of retailers carry Galaxy Tab. See if you like the interface.

11. kdoug macrumors 6502a

kdoug

I just unloaded my Galaxy Tab 10.1 on eBay. THis wasn't my first android either, I've owned several tablets. The browser just plain sucks, HTML and Flash videos are choppy. Samsung currently doesn't support movie streaming so be prepared to drop $5 on Plex for android. Battery is decent but it still doesn't come close to the iPad. It seems to take forever to charge this thing and the cord is really short. The biggest problem is STILL the App store for android. Where are all the tablet Apps? What Apps there are for this device seem to be 2-3 times more expensive the Apple's. The hardware is good but the experience for me was just lousy.

12. rm2092 macrumors 6502

rm2092

iPad1 to Samsung Tab 10.1 then back to the iPad2, forget Android the iPad is way more smoother, stay with Apple no regrets.

13. marc55 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marc55

14. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Consider that this is an iPad forum. Head to a Galaxy Tab forum for the rest of the story. I have both. Neither are my favorite. The Tab is lighter and thinner, but suffers the same proprietary dock and minimal inputs that the iPad does.

Consider the Sony S. JMHO