iPad2 vs iPad 3 DVD Quality Video - Help!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tbch2325, Jun 28, 2012.

1. tbch2325 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I am planning on buying a iPad2 16GB or iPad 3 16/32GB. The main thing I will be using it for is to watch mainly DVD quality video. Is there any difference in watching this kind of quality video on the iPad2 compared to the iPad3? I would have thought that there wouldnt be but I just want to make sure before I buy one!

Thanks!

2. Henpossible, Jun 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

Henpossible macrumors newbie

in my opinion using both iPad 2 and iPad 3, if you're using it for viewing or presentations… I wouldn't be worried so much about the quality.. it actually looks really good on either of the devices for that. I would be more concerned about the battery life and for the time it would take to charge. the iPad 3 takes about 10 hours to charge for me...I can shave 90 min if I switch it off and plugin to the power outlet and not a usbport on a pc. on the ipad2 it charges much faster but last only 6-7 hours of normal up and down use. Hulu, netflix, media streaming from my home servers, vevo, YouTube.. etc... all look amazing on these. the sound is a bit on the low side for both... but find some Bluetooth Motorola headset or hookup it to AirPlay and your stereo, it's makes for a great experience.

3. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

While there isn't resolution difference when playing back DVD videos, the larger gamut and better colors will be in favor of the iPad 3. That is, I'd definitely go for the latter even if I only took DVD playback into account. (And you also have being more future-proof with its 1G RAM etc.)

4. tbch2325 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was moving towards the iPad3 as it is only £70 more, but I've been reading lots about how the battery can take up to 9 hours to charge! compared to iPad2's 3-4 hours charge. That just seems a bit ridiculous. The battery life on both devices are exactly the same as well right?

But just to confirm, DVD quality movies on the iPad 3 will still look noticeably better due to the more vivid colour etc?

thanks again,

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's not 9 hours. It's not as fast as the iPad 2 but it's not THAT long.

if you charge it from the included power adapter its about 6 hours. Just charge it when you're asleep.

6. tbch2325 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks so takes about 2 more hours than iPad2?

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Just like the resolution the color space (gamut) doesn't increase because it is restricted to the source.

8. tbch2325 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so playing DVD quality films will look mostly the same on both devices? I'm only going to see a difference playing 1080p film (as iPad2 is only 720p screen)?

9. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

Sorry, I would have stated it as "saturation and color fidelity increases on the iPad 3 for exactly the same source colors".

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

If properly upscaled the higher resolution can have a smother look. However this falls under the GIGO principle. 99% of the time a higher resolution source will look better than a upscaled one.

----------

This is a lot like upscaling of resolution. You are (or Apple is) artfully adding what is not there. So results can very across the board.

The best use of an incased color space is achieved with photos and some video games that have "deep color" (10bit). All video is limited to 8bit.

11. tbch2325 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Julian, but bit confused. Basically if I have 1 mpeg4 quality video and its displayed on the iPad 2 and iPad3, would the iPad3 look any better? I'm just wanting to watch my downloaded movies/tv shows which are all pretty much from DVD. Will the iPad3 try to upscale or will it just play whatever the picture quality is set as in native file? Thanks

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

In the most ideal situation the source resolution should match the display's resolution so you would have pixel to pixel with no scaling. This will not happen with the iPad 2 or the Retina. DVD is 720x480 non square pixels (= to 854x480). The original iPad is 1024x576 (1.78 video playback) and the Retina is 2048x1152 (1.78 video playback). So even the iPad 2 will have to scale also. If the iPad didn't scale then the picture would be smaller and on the Retina would be a very small rectangle in the center of the screen with LARGE black bars all the way around (Window-boxed).

To most the New Retina looks subjectively a little better with SD video and is objectively better with HD content.

13. doboy macrumors 68000

I haven't done a side by side comparison, but non-HD contents look horrible on my iPad 3 vs. my iPad 2. But that's just my opinion.