iPad2 = what the iPad1 should have been

Discussion in 'iPad' started by walkie, Apr 14, 2011.

1. walkie macrumors 6502

Ok, I own an iPad 1 and last saturday I went to the store and played with an iPad2, I realised that iPad2 is a little bit more faster than iPad1, a bit lighter, a bit thinner, that's ok, but come on! both cameras are rubish!!!, the photos and video quality is the worst I ever seen on a current portable device, but now I'm thinking that the iPad2 is not worth buying it if you already own an Ipad 1, I mean the iPad2's features (512Mb RAM, Dual Processor, crappy cameras) should have been on the iPad1, the iPad2 is STILL behind iPhone4 in some aspects, so I'm very disappointed, I think iPad2 should have been iPad1, iPad1 was a kind of fail because of its limited RAM memory, and now Apple wants us to buy iPad2 which presumingly solve the very limited web navigation but in the end is almost the same device with slight changes..., I'm looking for another tab (maybe Xoom, don't know...) or will wait for iPad3, I'm very disappointed, this seems to be an unfair marketing trick...

What do you think?

PD: excuse me for my bad english, I'm not a native speaker.

2. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

I think you're wrong. The iPad 1 was a game changer and some of the technologies in iPad 2 simply weren't around for the price point they wanted to go with. I've had my iPad 1 for a year now and I've debated on upgrading but probably won't.

I don't see it as behind the iPhone 4. They tackle different purposes and do it quite well. I think you just had unrealistic expectations for the product upgrade. My company's president has a Xoom. It's nice but it's no iPad. Not yet anyway.

3. ct2k7 macrumors 603

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Looking over your prior posts, you've been talking down the iPad for a year. Sell it and move on. I have the iPad 1...nothing in the 2 has made me want to upgrade.

5. Carouser macrumors 65816

What do we think? I think you're allowed to not like or buy the iPad, and to hold whatever opinions you like. I also think your opinions are misguided and unreasonable. Hope that helps!

6. ssampath macrumors member

I like Apples philosophy - they make few products and do the best job possible. The iPad 2 is faster because they were able to develop a faster A5 chip. The cameras on the iPad 2 are intended mostly for live Facetime video. They seem to do a good enough job for that. I think it was important for Apple to hit the $499.00 price point - I may not have bought it if it was much more expensive. Sure if you want till the iPad 3 you will get a better product but the iPad 2 will certainly be the best choice in tablets until then!

7. walkie thread starter macrumors 6502

Don't get me wrong, I like iPad, I've played with android smartphones and I can say they're not as responsive as iOS, but I think if Apple wanted the iPad would be a much better device, so I cannot make my mind about whether to buy or not another device that suits my needs or wait for the iPad3, as I mentioned before, what bothers me from iPad1 is the limited web browsing experience due to lack of memory, I use iCab which does a good job despite this memory limitation.

8. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Windows 7, where Windows Vista should have been. All companies do this.

9. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

I disagree^^^ windows XP blows Vista. It wasn't a mandatory upgrade.

Yes iPad2 should of been 1

10. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

That's like saying the 2010 Macbook Pro should've had the Sandy Bridge processor. The dual core A9 processor simply wasn't being used in any volume back then. I mean the iPad had the fastest chip of any major mobile product back in April 2010. How could Apple put the A9 dual core when it wasn't available in large scale?

I agree Apple should be less stingy with RAM, and cameras would've been nice, but I don't think Apple wanted to put cameras without Facetime ready.

11. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Product X2= What product X1 should have been.

Go ahead and insert any technology based product in there, it works.

12. poloponies macrumors 68030

Sharpened stick= What unsharpened stick should have been.

It does work.

13. Adam-Jobs macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Don't think you understand how technology and business works. Without being rude.

The tablet Market was pretty new. Apple had no idea whether it would have been a success. What you've basically asked is that Apple had made it better which in turn would have hiked up the cost. You can't have both. People expected Apples tablet to cost $999 before it was announced. How successful do you think it would have been at that price point?

14. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Flint axe = what sharpened stick should have been.

Yeah, I see your point.

15. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

how successful do you think it'd be at $299? $499 is too much when not many differences over iPad 1.

They like to operate like how microsoft does with their office suites. give it a few minor tweaks and call it Office 2012 and charge a bundle of cash.

16. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

right. they should have even started at a lower price point. i bought my iPad 1 for $299 brand new from verizon at end of March. Now that is the range that these tablets need to be in.

17. Adam-Jobs macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I think there are quite a few differences personally. New CPU GPU Ram. Apps will take advantage of these soon. I can't argue. Apple UK dropped the price of the base model by $50 for UK customers

18. aristobrat macrumors G4

You're *now* thinking that? That was basically the summary of just about every professional review (engadget, WSJ, USA Today, Pogue, etc) of the iPad 2 right before it launched. :confused:

Personally, I'm fine with a big release followed by a minor release the following year. I don't feel as inclined to "have to" upgrade my tech yearly with product cycles like that.

19. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

if $100 price difference then yes, go with iPad 2. But paying $299 brand new for iPad 1. makes no sense to get an iPad 2.

20. Adam-Jobs macrumors regular

Absolutely. If you own iPad 1 I wouldn't upgrade. But this is my first iPad, the 2.

21. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

i guess it just depends on each person. Personally, i wouldn't fork over $500 for any ipad. $299, i'd buy it all day long.

22. aristobrat macrumors G4

Out of curiosity, any iPad, or any 10" tablet?

23. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

$499 i think is too much money. I bought iPad 1 bc it was $299....now that's a good price!