iPad2 which provider would be best?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iSurfHi, Sep 2, 2011.

1. iSurfHi macrumors regular

iSurfHi

Hi,
    I'm thinking of getting internet wireless like a usb for my iPad2 however I need one that is wireless so i can bring my wireless device with me and my iPad2 which provider would be best and decent price? I greatly appreciate your help?
    Mahalo~
    Val

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. iSurfHi thread starter macrumors regular

iSurfHi

I need a provider does sprint have something?

4. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Are you referring to what is sometimes called a wifi "hotspot"? In effect it's a wireless wifi router. (The reference to "usb" is confusing in this context.)

If so, both AT&T and Verizon offer such devices but the commitment is a full two year contract (not the month-to-month contract offered for the 3G iPad.) I have a Verizon version that supports 4G speeds and it works very well. 5gigs per month at $50. Keep in mind, though, that you will have to be in a 4G/LTE coverage area to take advantage of the 4G speed.

There are other, less expensive alternatives. Sorry that I can't recall the name of the carrier but you might be able to find references here by searching for "hotspot."

5. iSurfHi thread starter macrumors regular

iSurfHi

Yes a personal hotspot that connects up to a few wi-fi- enabled devices. so you go on internet. how much does it take for 5 gb? does it take a month? I used my internet about 6 hours a day?
    Thanks...

6. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

See if Clear.com has coverage in your area, you can purchase a Hotspot for like $50 if you get an older model and month to month service is around $40. I have both a Clear modem for my home Internet and their latest Apollo Hotspot for on the go, works great for my area.

7. iSurfHi thread starter macrumors regular

iSurfHi

HI there,
    I purchased the clear.com with the Appolo it was horriable the connection not good at all and no service.

8. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

Well did you check for coverage first? I have coverage city wide and it works fine, you should list what you have tried in your post if you are asking for advice.

9. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

I've never used five gigabytes in a single month. Came close one month when I used the hotspot exclusively for about 15-20 days and streamed a LOT of audio content and quite a bit of video content.

10. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Get the ATT (GSM) version. It's unlocked so if you travel you can buy a prepaid sim for the country you are visiting (you may have to cut it down so bring a sim cutter -- $10 on Amazon). The Verizon version is CDMA so is much less travel versatile.

Buying a WiFi version + a hotspot makes zero sense to me b/c it totally negates the reason you carry a tablet around vs. a laptop. The hotspot battery lasts maybe 5 hrs vs. the iPad's 9 plus it's something else to carry around and keep charged. It also requires a sub where the iPad does not.

11. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Good points to keep in mind. However, in my case I have to have a mobile hotspot for my laptop, anyway. And the 4G hotspot I use is much, much faster than the 3G performance of the iPad. Thus, a 3G iPad is redundant and another data plan, even the start/stop $30 per month iPad plan, is an expense I don't incur. Nor, of course, did I incur the $130 initial price difference in the cost of the iPad with 3G. (Much the same reasoning applies to those with smartphones that have a tethering capability.)

The comparative battery life is a valid issue, as well. But frankly, I've never encountered a situation where the (at most) three hour difference between the battery life of my hotspot and the iPad was an issue. Keep in mind that using 3G on the iPad is a battery drainer, too. And for those whose smartphones support tethering, the battery advantage of the iPad may not exist, at all.

For me, the biggest downside is the absence of GPS on the wifi version of the iPad. As noted above, it doesn't matter that much to me because I have superior GPS functionality on my Android smartphone. But even if that were not the case, there are GPS solutions that interface with the iPad via wifi or usb for a bit over $100. (I recall a review of the options on this board.)

In short, there isn't a one-size-fits-all answer to these issues. For many, probably most people the 3G iPad combined with the pre-paid monthly data plan is both less expensive and offers greater functionality than the alternatives. But that strategy doesn't apply to everyone.

12. CoolBoyGcp macrumors newbie

Here's what you should do!

This is what you should do. I think it's better to buy the iPad with the 3g option because of many reasons.

1. It's nice to have to option of having 3G service especially if you are going to travel overseas because the hotspots do not work overseas.

2. I am actually using a 3G iPad 2 right now it's an AT&T version which I think is better because you get better coverage in other countries such as China, the UK, and almost every other one there is because most other countries only use GSM.

3. Also I am actually going to get a hotspot but right now I am using the AT& T service now. You do not get slammed like with their phones and you can even use one of those vanilla prepaid visa cards for it such as I do. Also it's a lot cheaper for only $20 a month and you get 2 gigs of usage.

4. If you have not already bought the iPad I would go with the 3G one Because you get the option but if you have and you bought the wifi only one then I recommend to get a prepaid hotspot, you can buy them at Walmart, Target, Best Buy, and most big stores like that. They have virgin mobile ones and I believe they have Verizon ones too. Or you can get a Verizon regular one but you have to get a 2 year contract but if you think that you would like to stay with their service than that is ok to have the contract. But I agree with you with the Clear thing I got their hotspot and they made me sign a 2 year contract and they lied to me and said that they had service in my area but they didn't and it took me months to get my contract breached and and it was hell and they never gave me my money back!

So consider these suggestions and determine what you would like to do.

13. George Knighton macrumors 6502a

George Knighton

Although I used to have a 3G iPad (1) and it worked just great, I wanted to try the iPad2 so I got a smaller memory (32GB) one that was just WiFi.

I have an AT&T iPhone 4 and have no problems at all connecting the iPhone 4 and iPad 2 via Bluetooth or WiFi broadcast. On Bluetooth, it uses surprisingly little power from the iPhone 4 and I won't even necessarily have to plug it in.

If you already have an AT&T iPhone 4 with tethering, and you know you won't go over 4GB of data, and you already know that AT&T has good coverage wherever you live, work and travel, then I can testify that this combination of resources works very well.

:)

If you are persuaded that you want 3G iPad 2 then all I can say is the same thing I say to anybody shopping for cellular service: Make sure there's good, solid and fast coverage everywhere you live, work and travel. Otherwise, you'll be miserable.

There's no quick way to do it. You have to start talking to people who use the different services and who live, work and travel the same way that you do.

It's coverage that's going to make the biggest difference to you, not the advertised speeds. In those rare situations where everybody has a good, strong signal, I don't see much difference between the practical, usual speeds offered by Verizon, AT&T or Sprint. There are too many bandwidth vagaries to swear that one is clearly superior to the other, and it's coverage that'll matter to you more than anything else.

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

True, if you already have a hotspot -- no since in paying twice. My point though was directed at people who thought about getting a hotspot as an alternative to a 3G version.

15. CoolBoyGcp macrumors newbie

Hey Chupa Chupa it is better to have the 3G option even if you already have a hotspot. There is no contract and no monthly charge if you don't want it one month you just turn it off right on your iPad 2. It's very simple and a Neanderthal can do it! I think that's its just nice to have an extra option lets say you are oversees, let's say the UK you can't use the hotspot there so at least you can use the 3G although you will have to get another sim card. Also if you use your iPad a lot(such as I do.) you can just get the data plan for the month than you can use more data than you would be able to with the tethering or a hotspot.