iPad2 wifi extremely weak

Discussion in 'iPad' started by BJB Productions, Apr 3, 2011.

1. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Hi,
    I've noticed that my iPad is terrible when it comes to picking up wifi. For example, currently I'm in a public wifi hotspot which has (I don't know the correct name for it.. T1?) anyway really fast internet and they have really nice wifi antennas all over the huge building, and they are used to having conferences and such so it's a VERY stable network.

Anyway, I've worked here for many years and have been all over the building, so I'm her a lot with my MBP and I can get full signal pretty much anywhere. However, with my iPad I can hardly ever get good signal. Often none. Even where I'm sitting right now I am in an area that has the best strength wifi, yet I only have one bar on my iPad.

The only thing I could think that might be interfering is that installed a BestSkinsEver back protection...but that seems silly that such a thin thing would interfere with wifi....

Anyone else having this issue? Thoughts?....suggestions?

2. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

I installed a WiFi Extender in my house but only because it is large and has huge brick interior walls. But even before, both of my iPads had really good WiFi reception where ever I go.

Might want to drop it by the Apple store as it should be better that what you are indicating. Also, there are not a lot of threads here with the same problem.

3. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Yeah also it now no longer atomically picks up or finds networks... I have to manually get it on networks. (sometimes it can't find the network even when I'm right next to the router)

4. chiefpavvy macrumors 6502a

I've heard mixed reports on the WiFi strength. Personally, mine is probably a tad better than iPad 1. Then again I have a pretty small place and most of the time I'm on the road or traveling and using my MiFi which is never more than a few feet from me :D

5. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Well what's weird is that I don't recall this happening when I first got it. It worked fine up until a few days ago. Could changing the DNS affect it in any way? I don't think it should, but I did also do that to get Facetime to work.

6. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

No problems at all with my iPad 2. I wonder if you should get it checked out by the Apple Store?

7. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

do a restore and see if it fixes it. That's what Apple will recommend anyways.

8. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Yup, I'll try that because they always do that first. I doubt it will fix a thing though. :rolleyes:

9. ForumViewer macrumors member

No issues here with my wifi only model on 4.3.1.

10. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

I would try to restore the iPad. Mine doesn't have wifi problems. It works better than my iPhone!

11. nmills macrumors regular

Mine picks up wifis it already knows, but not new ones. I have to go into settings and select it. But as for strength, my wifi is great!

12. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Mine was actually having problems also. A quick restore fixed my problem.

13. Stovepiper macrumors member

I've also noticed the iPad 2 tends to have a relatively weak WiFi antenna. It's functional but oddly enough the reception is affected by how you hold it, at least for me. I think it's a similar issue to the antenna problem with the iPhone 4. I've tested this many times and I can go from 3 full WiFi bars to 1 bar by touching the metal rim of the iPad in a certain way with my hands. This isn't noticeable right next to a wireless router but as you get farther away it certainly becomes an issue. My tests have been done on a variety of routers in a variety of homes and I've read a number of threads were people have noted similar WiFi issues.

14. nomik2 macrumors regular

It must be the router, I have streamed movies from my NAS to it just fine...

15. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Cool, well I'll give it a shot *here's hoping* I doubt Apple has any replacements avail... so I would probably have to re-order online which could take a few months. :rolleyes:

16. Stovepiper macrumors member

Huh? I stream all sorts of stuff everyday too but that doesn't mean the WiFi antenna isn't weak in the iPad 2. It has nothing to do with the router...