iPad2 Wifi + iphone3G + MyWi = No GPS/Current Location

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by mrcrlee, Mar 20, 2011.

1. mrcrlee macrumors regular

So I have an iPad2 Wifi and an iPhone 3G. The 3G is jailbroken and I'm running the MyWi application.

Unfortunately I am not seeing the GPS enabling on the iPad2 that others have reported.

Am I supposed to be getting any kind of GPS, or is my phone too old or am I running the wrong software? Whenever I open Maps, I get 'Current Location could not be determined'.

Thanks for your help!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It only works with Apple's official WiFI tethering, not MyWi.

3. mrcrlee thread starter macrumors regular

If I were to return it and wait for the 3G to arrive from Apple, would I be able to use GPS on the iPad2 3G/WiFi without using the 3G data service, and just tether data from my iphone 3G?

4. Sparky9292 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Use iTether. AT&T is fining people who use MyWi.

5. clumsythief83 macrumors regular

Stupid question here, does the iPad 3G GPS work without a data plan? I'm from Montreal Canada and still undecided if I should get the iPad WIfi 64gb or the 3G 32gb.

P.S.: I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 (firmware 4.1) with myWi.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Right. You'd need TetherMe to be able to use Personal Hotspot without having a tethering plan.

As Intell already answered it does. The GPS is apart of the 3G chip (doesn't have to be active) that's why you don't get it with the wifi version.

7. djkinetic macrumors member

Lol wrong, ppl are not getting fined they are getting notices ordering them to stop tethering without a tethering plan..either u stop tethering without a plan, u get the plan or u do nothing and Att will switch u to a tethering plan at a specified date. Also it doesn't matter which tethering app u use mywi or it ether they are targetting users who use over a certain amount of data witout a tetheterig plan it just so happens these users are using mywi.