iPad2 with Mac mini vs Macbook

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jazzpaws, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Jazzpaws macrumors newbie

Jazzpaws

I am considering buying a Mac Mini & iPad2 instead of buying a Macbook. I mostly use my PC laptop for surfing the web,checking email & downloading music on iTunes. I am willing to wait until the new MacMini is released. So is the Mac Mini with the iPad a good idea?

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I think its a fine idea, and if you keep your media on it you will be able to listen to your iTunes library when you are away.

3. jarvijarv macrumors regular

Absolutely. I have the older 1.83GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo MacMini with OS 10.6.6 and it works great with my iPad 16G. The newer MacMini will obviously have more memory and be more stable than a Macbook in handling the synchronization of hundreds of apps, music, photos, etc.

4. rspec7 macrumors member

I think it depends on how much processing power you'll need on the go. If you're like me and mostly just surf the web and do light stuff while out-and-about, while leaving the heavy-duty work at home or in the office, then your proposed combo should be perfect.

I'm planning on leaving my macbook pro at home as a 'desktop' and only taking the iPad 2 out.

5. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

if the extent of your use is as you listed then yes I think that's a fine idea.

6. ConnorTurnbull macrumors 6502

7. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Sounds like a good idea to me!!

But only one thing to keep in mind. If you are doing this and price is an issue but you think that the iPad +Mini combo ($1200) is close enough to the macbook ($1000) don't forget about the hidden needs that the Mac Mini doesn't come with. If you don't already have them you will need to buy a monitor ($150+ for random monitor), keyboard($69 for apple keyboard), or mouse ($69 for magic mouse or trackpad). All that together totals to being around $1500. For that price you could get a high end 13" MBP or a high end 21.5" iMac.

If that's not an issue then great! I just didn't want you to make the mistake and realize it later :)