iPad2 without backlight bleeding..POST HERE

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iJays, May 25, 2011.

1. iJays macrumors regular

everytime i open this forum, i read about people complaining about the backlight bleeding on the iPad2...
    are there people out there who got a near-zero or tolerable backlight bleeding on their iPad2?
    please post your experience/comments here.
    :apple:

2. this is funah macrumors 6502

this is funah

i'm about to pick up my replacement in a few hours... will post the results here... HOPEFULLY
    :D

3. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

I have 2 very minimal spots of backlight bleed on my White 16GB iPad 2. I don't even notice those spots anymore.

4. NachoGrande, May 25, 2011
    Last edited: May 25, 2011

NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

I never did the ocd test but it can't see any under everyday normal conditions.

ETA: I bought 4 for the family and all were fine.

5. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

Wow these OCD comments are borderline ____________. Fill in the blank.

I have min. to no bleed but it took me 6 times to get one that didn't need the "OCD" test to see it. I guess that's a bad thing if you don't have an eye for min. quality.

6. Lougle macrumors member

I got my 32GB Black Wifi iPad 2 last week from apple.com. Backlight bleeding was TERRIBLE! took it to the genius bar and they swapped it for another (not new retail). The replacement is perfect!!!!

7. iLuvMyMacToo macrumors regular

I received mine 3 days ago. No backlight bleeding at all.

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

No apparent light bleeding here, but I also rarely watch videos and when I do it isn't in a dark room at 100% brightness. If I set up that condition I can see a little, but in normal usage there's none. I'm happy with my ipad2.

10. ~~Hello~~ macrumors 6502

I can when I use issh and I'm not in a darkened room. :(

11. nwcs macrumors 65816

nwcs

Ditto

12. Muscleflex macrumors 6502

13. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I can't post my photobucket pics from my office here at work, but I have had 2 iPad 2s. My first one had very very very little bleed, almost completely unnoticable at 100% brightness in a dark room. Unfortunately it got dust under the screen, so I exchanged it. My 2nd iPad 2 has absolutely zero light bleed and no dust under the screen, no popped up glass, no dead pixels, nothing.

There ARE iPad 2's going out without problems, and some people are getting so riled up about the light bleed that any little tiny imperfection is prompting them to do another return. This is the vicious Apple return cycle that you can get yourself into and ruin your enjoyment of the device. I had it happen with my iPhone 4 and it took me 5 months to get one I was happy with, and the one I settled on still had some cosmetic problems, even though it was new out of the box.

In the end, nothing is perfect. Just enjoy your iPad or return it. Plain and simple.

14. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

15. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

Nothing is perfect. I can agree with that but it would be nice. :)

But. . . perfection is one thing and obvious defects that we've seen are another. I don't buy this use it and enjoy it line if you purchased something with a major flaw. You're doing yourself a disservice and just because you don't use your device in "OCD" mode someday you might.

We get what we deserve I guess.

16. deeddawg macrumors 604

Clearly the light bleeding varies across units; some exhibiting significant amount, some just to a minor degree, some with little or no bleed. At the same time, usage of ipads varies; some people regularly use their ipad in ways that moderate light bleed is a real problem, some who rarely/never use it in that manner. Thirdly, there's a variety of responses; some people really don't care if there's some bleed, some feel it's a major disruption to their enjoyment of their ipad.

Mix all three of these together and you simply don't have any single answer to fit all people and all devices.

The trouble with the Internet is that those experiencing significant loss of enjoyment (whether the actual problem is severe, or just the owner's perception of the problem) tend to be far more vocal than those who either don't really care or own ipads that show little to no problems. This potentially gives a false impression of the degree of issues. A secondary effect is it calls to light the potential problem and picky owners go looking for it when they might not have perceived a problem in normal usage.

Net: people should really consider whether the problem truly exists in their usage and whether it makes a real difference in their usage; i.e. does it truly affect them, or is it just that they're bothered by knowing the problem exists on their ipad under "extreme conditions".

17. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

After mine was replaced last month, I can happily say I have no backlight bleeding. I was really surprised, but it seems to be totally fine.

18. Lacos macrumors member

Got mine 16GB 3G black on monday, no bleed at all.. Or i dont see it, but i really don't care..

19. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

People will accept garbage. Some don't care and some are not shall we say able to see it. I guess "picky" owners of crappy equipment that is not up to spec are a real hindrance to quality. ;)

20. deeddawg macrumors 604

Variance in manufacturing conformance quality directly impacts production costs and thus market pricing levels. A manufacturer chooses what level of variance in conformance quality to require from the manufacturing process, and the spectrum of what consumers demand is a factor in that choice.

Users who demand the highest conformance quality are more likely to find themselves disappointed with mass-market devices since manufacturers will cater to the broadest market demands. The reality is that what these "discerning buyers" consider "garbage" is in fact good enough for the majority of consumers who are less demanding.

Where there is sufficient volume of "discerning buyers" willing to pay the premium, a niche market serving that demand may come into being. At present that doesn't exist in the tablet space.

Secondarily, conformance quality tends to increase as manufacturing processes mature over the life of the product due to "learning curve" effects. One might argue that "discerning buyers" might be best able to buy devices meeting their high standards by avoiding early adoption of new devices. By waiting for the manufacturer to get further down the "learning curve" the variance in conformance quality will typically lessen and thus increase the probability of receiving a device meeting the buyer's high standards.

21. Grimes macrumors regular

Same story for me. Ordered online, got a horrible bleed unit. Took it to Genius Bar, they replaced it with a perfect iPad2 from the "brown box" pile.

22. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

23. K4LK macrumors 6502

K4LK

Bought my black AT&T 64G at BB. Not bad bleeding but not acceptable. Genius replaced it next day with a perfect one :)