iPad2 won't accept Nikon D5100 video

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Dave00, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to figure out how to get my iPad to accept video I took with my Nikon D5100. I can bring it into iTunes, which plays it fine, but when I try to sync with iPad, it gives the error that the video wasn't sync'ed because it's not playable on the iPad.

The generated video is in .mov format, H.264, 1280x720/millions, at a bit rate of 7800kbps. I tried changing the extension to .mp4 or .m4v, still no dice. (This trick has worked before with other video.) I tried having QuickTime pro save to "Apple TV" settings, but the resulting video is 960x540 at 3500kbps, and the iPad should be able to handle a lot more.

Any hints?

2. hashsi99 macrumors member

I had a similar issue. This worked for me:

If you're syncing from an iPhoto or Aperture album, use these steps to find the iPod Photo Cache folder in the default iPhoto Library or Aperture Library location:

From the Finder, choose Home from the Go menu.
    Once there, open the Pictures folder and locate the iPhoto Library file. (For Aperture, this is called Aperture Library.) If you have moved your iPhoto Library or Aperture Library to a different location, go to that location in Finder first.
    Control-click the iPhoto Library or Aperture Library file and choose Show Package Contents from the shortcut menu.
    In the next window, locate the iPod Photo Cache folder and drag it to the Trash. Important: Do not remove or modify any other file within the library package. Removing or modifying other files may cause data loss.

From a Folder on Mac OS X, Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
    The iPod Photo Cache will be located in the folder you selected to sync with.

Then restart your ipad (power off)

Try to sync again to itunes.

Hopefully it works.

3. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Download Handbrake, a free conversion program. It has an iPad setting built right in, but it can convert almost any video format to any other format if you want.

4. nickholl macrumors newbie

Hi

Dave00 - did you have any luck with your issue? Im having the same problem and am wondering if I should go down the conversion route

thanks!
    Nick