iPad3 - 3G required for GPS?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Macwick, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Macwick macrumors regular

Obviously no one knows the answer to this, but I wonder if the Wifi-only iPad3 models will still lack GPS functionality. This is such an annoying (and seemingly unnecessary) constraint of previous models. I purchased the the 3G iPad2 only because I wanted GPS for the many location-aware apps out there.

Thoughts?

2. tomhfh macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, no.

I see no reason why they would suddenly start to offer this feature.
    It would severely cannibalise the (comparatively low) iPad 3G sales.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

The GPS capability on 3G iPad 1 and iPad 2 models is something included in the 3G chipset rather than an add-on Apple chose to only include on the 3G models.

We'll find out for sure in a few days, but odds are there's no reason for Apple to do any different with the iPad 3.

4. mattraehl macrumors 6502

Does the iPad 2 3G use the GPS-assist technology (i.e. does the 3G iPad find it's location more or less instantly, like the iPhone) even if you aren't actively paying for data service? Or does it take a minute or so to get the location like most standalone GPS units?

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

It will probably stay the same as it is now. In fact margins on the iPad 3 will probably be tighter at the low end than they were with the iPad 2, so Apple probably really wants you to move up to a 3G model.

6. d0vr macrumors 6502a

We know how the iPad 2 works (see above, but for reference, it is built into the 3G chip directly, positioning on wifi models works over wifi. You can't get a positioning signal without wifi)

The question is regarding the likely hood of the same happening in the iPad 3. The only reason I could potentially see it being different, is if the iPad 3 has LTE and somehow LTE and GPS don't work on the same chip for whatever reason.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Yes. Speaking from direct experience with both ipad 1 and ipad 2, both 3G, both where I'd have data turned on sometimes and turned off sometimes.

8. qCzar macrumors regular

Does this mean GPS works with 3G off, or rather no connection? If so, that's a major selling point for me. I know my iPhone does this; I've taken photos with no Cellular reception and was able to view them on the Geographical Map within Photos.

9. deeddawg macrumors 604

The 3G radio has to be on, i.e. you can't have it in Airplane mode. AGPS uses the cell tower's time & location info to allow a fast fix for the real GPS receiver chip. No 3G data is used, and it works fine with no data account setup.

BTW, GPS can find its location fast even without AGPS. My Garmin Forerunner 610 GPS watch fixes its location within a few seconds with no aGPS help. Yes, older gps receivers could take a while to get a location, modern stuff is a lot better.