Ipad3 needs a remote

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Nychot, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Nychot macrumors 6502a

I would love to see the forthcoming ipad have a remote control for volume, on-off etc. heres why: i use my ipad2 a lot for internet radio, music etc etc. if its sitting and playing 10 feet from me say i'd like to have small remote to raise or loeer the volume or mute it and maybe have it programmed for 10 different "channels." i believe other tablets have ir for remote if i'm not mistaken. Anyone else agree for a ipad remote need?

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

Most speaker/player accessories for idevices already come with remotes for volume/mute.

3. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

You want a remote for device specifically designed to be handled and interacted with?

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Many apps can airplay from the iPad audio stream. Just get a AirPort Express or better yet a Stereo / Speakers with AirPlay built in.

Magic.

5. Nychot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why add more costly speaker hardware when apple could simply put ir on the ipad and offer a small even keychain size remote. Geez!

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Because the iPad was designed to hold on to, not sit on a desk. The awesome Remote app is free and an AirPort Express is cheap and will do the job. So will an AppleTV2.

7. taipan61 macrumors 6502

in a word...no
    don't see the point or need really
    but hey it's only my .02

8. Bluemeanie1976 macrumors 6502a

Bluemeanie1976

I don't see the need. If you are using the device, use your finger. Of it is plugged into something, it will have a remote of its own.

9. poloponies macrumors 68030

2 concerns come into play, weight and cost. Sure, Apple can add any little thing people can desire or imagine into an iPad but their goals are to keep it light and maintain cost structure. A remote may add only a few grams internally in the device but probably a buck or two overall. Multiply that out by 50 million units for a feature that very few people will use and it's not worth it.

Apple's on a "zero-sum" design plan. If you add weight with a new feature, something else will be cut as a compromise so they have to pick the features that will give them the best feature set - but that doesn't mean it has to be the Swiss Army Knife of tablets.

10. volntitan macrumors 6502

I think the OP makes a great point. Not everyone uses their iPad the same way. I use mind to hook to my stereo in the sunroom to listen to music on the deck. Yes I can get airplay etc., but having a remote to skip to the next song, pause, etc. would be pretty cool instead of coming inside or spending another $100 on airplay, etc.

11. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

I've always wished you could Airplay between iOS devices (and not just to the AppleTV). I would love to be able to send a video and/or audio from my iPhone to my iPad. Or use the remote app on my iPhone to control the audio on my iPad. I am sure I am probably about the only person who wants this, but it would be nice. It's just my .02 worth.

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

13. ghostworld macrumors member

ghostworld

This sounds like the best solution to me.

14. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Why add the cost of a remote for everyone to have to deal with just to suit your specific needs/wants? Geez!

Stop assuming that your preference is universal -- no matter what the topic.

15. Nychot, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012

Nychot thread starter macrumors 6502a

My wife and i listen to a lot of internet radio and music. The ipad might sit on the kitchen island playing. Its a pain in the ass having to go to it to change volume etc. a remote would be very nice.

----------

What, are you stalking my comments on things i post? If so get a life. I dont assume my preferences are universal.

----------

I dont assume my preferences are universal. Its something i'd like to see. If you dont like the idea, who cares. Get a life and dint waste your time stalking my comments. Geez

16. iTunes-Luv macrumors member

iTunes-Luv

Or Apple can make Siri understand better volume / music basic command by voice. Things like "Skip it" , "Next track", "Increase volume" :rolleyes:

17. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Only useful to the OP if he has REALLY long fingers to push the home button from across the room. ;)

18. iTunes-Luv macrumors member

iTunes-Luv

Or Apple can do clap you hands 3 times to activate Siri (got that from my kid video Mousekatool from Disney :D)

19. poloponies, Jan 13, 2012

poloponies macrumors 68030

To be fair, when you say the "iPad 3 needs a remote" you're going beyond your preferences and into the universal.

20. The Wedge, Jan 13, 2012

The Wedge macrumors regular

Don't listen to them. I've thought about the same thing. There are uses for it.

21. saberahul, Jan 13, 2012

saberahul macrumors 68040

Others are trying to help you find a solution to the problem. No one besides you is doing any sort of name-calling and that is strictly prohibited on this forum. I suggest that you do some research on iPhone applications that can do this as I know with 100% certainty that Apple is not going to put an IR function in the iPad. Surely, this can be done over BT which the iPad has so I am sure there may be a JB solution to this.

22. Nychot thread starter macrumors 6502a

He wasnt trying to help. He was being rude. An eye for an eye. Since when cant you suggest something you'd like to see on a product on this forum? Give me a break. I wasnt asking for suggestions or options. I was just making a suggestion and asking if others agreed. Yes i know there are bt speakers out there. I have bt headphones. But i still think a remote would be very usable for the ipad without having to buy extras like airplay speakers etc. the ipad itself has pretty powerful audio. It would be nice to use a little remote to turn that audio up ir down from a distance. Its just an idea.

23. iTunes-Luv macrumors member

iTunes-Luv

How about an app on your iPhone to control your iPad music?

We have remote app on iPhone to control our TV, Blu-ray etc. Sure we can make one to control the iPad I think