iPad3 screen less sensitive with stylus

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by chris9, Jun 15, 2012.

1. chris9 macrumors newbie

I just bought an iPad 3 a couple of weeks ago. A big part of what I do with an iPad is sketching and painting. When comparing it to my iPad 1, it is noticeably less sensitive when using a stylus :(

The way to most easily see the difference is by lightly drawing circles on both screens with the same stylus. It often takes at least a few more circles before a line is drawn on the 3 than on the one.

Notes:
    - Same stylus in each test (Bamboo, Targus, and a couple no-name brands)
    - Both screens clean or both screens smudged
    - Multiple paint apps tried (Procreate, Sketchbook Pro, etc)

Also- I went to the apple store to try and compare mine with display models, but they no longer have any painting/drawing apps installed :confused: A genius ran a diagnostic and said everything appeared ok (for whatever tha's worth).

Just wondering if I need to return it? Though it's past 14 days now. Anyone else experience this... Any info would be greatly appreciated :)

2. JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

I haven't noticed anything like that. Maybe they can exchange it for you? Are you using a screen protector? Same brand on both old and new iPads?

3. chris9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Forgot to mentions that. Thanks!
    No screen protector on either one.

4. chris9 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just tried out another brand new iPad 3, and pretty sure the results were the same. I'm thinking it's a coating on the screen maybe(?). And my ipad1 didn't have the coating or it's worn off.... The difference is slight, and will be worth getting used to I believe :) Maybe the coating will wear off eventually.

5. chris7777 macrumors 6502

It is designed to work with your finger, that's why it seems so much more responsive.

6. Mikes2pads macrumors regular

Our fingers have a higher density electro magnetic charge than sending the pulse through the body of the stylus and tip. Looses some field along the way . Fingers are best, there is a small stylus you put on the tip of a finger which might bring sensitivity up. Not sure though. Never had one.
    I do find a box wave stylus much less responsive than the Truglide model. Truglide is narrower and much better. It's my go to stylus