IPAD3 Video via HDMI out does not show full Resolution on HDTV

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aseraj, Mar 26, 2012.

1. aseraj macrumors newbie

I just bought a new IPAD3. Now when I connect via AirPlay or an HDMI cable via adaptor, I do not get full res on my TV. I see black bars on either side. I can put the TV in wide mode but that stretches the mirrored image which isn't right. I looked up and down for settings on the IPAD that would allow one to choose the resolution going out the HDMI. Now these new IPADs have a 2048 x 1536 native resolution. And most TVs are 1920x1080. So technically the TV should scale down the higher res image to it's native resolution. But for some reason, the video out of the HDMI or AIRPLAY seems to appear more of a 4x3 format. Hence, I'm inclined to believe that the resolution from the HDMI out is probably something like 720x480P. Does anyone have any insight to properly get the higher full res 16x9 video out of the IPAD?

2. dsjr2006 macrumors regular

The screen of the iPad is 4:3 so that's what you'll see when you're in mirror mode. When you playback video that's in the proper format you will get 16:9 or whatever the video is in. Same goes for photo slide shows. Try playing a video.

3. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Only apps requesting specifically to output via the video cable will display a 1080p 16:9 image if requested, the ipad itself is 4:3, and outputs at 1080p to my recollection, so display mirroring will always have black bars, or it would be stretching the ipads display.

most video playing apps should have an option to use tv output to display in correct format.

Also will never get a 2048x1536 image out of hdmi, as hdmi spec does not allow for it.

4. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

If you're using mirroring, you won't fill the screen. If you're playing 1080p content via video, the HDMI connection will automatically switch to 1080p resolution.

5. mauarduz macrumors newbie

Will a slide show or a powerpoint presentation or something other than video output as HD ?