iPad iPad4 (iOS 6.1) vs Laptop (Win8)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by OSxiPro, Feb 14, 2013.

1. OSxiPro, Feb 14, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2013

OSxiPro macrumors member

OSxiPro

Hello all. I made a comparison chart last year comparing iPad 3 to my laptop. A year later with the new iPad 4 and I thought I should update the chart, so here it goes.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1360844448.057977.jpg
    Of-course; do keep note that this is a follow up to a personal thread I did over a year ago and may be biased. Feel free to suggest other things to add to the chart or say your opinions.

2. identity macrumors 6502

There is so much bias on the chart, I don't even know where to begin.

Whatever float's your boat.

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

It's a highly subjective matter. Your preferences aren't the same as everyone else's. You can't use this list as a one-size-fits-all list. Assigning points doesn't make it objective.

4. bobbysmith macrumors regular

Can I ask why you prefer an application-centric OS over a content-centric one?

My number one complaint with the iPad is that it puts all the focus on the applications and not the content. When I want to open a file, I have to remember what app it belongs to, hunt around for the app, run the app, navigate whatever arbitrary document management interface (they all look and act different), find the file, then open it.

There's also no way to share files between apps, so you have to copy them back and forth leading to the inevitable lack of synchronization between the two and you accidentally lose the version you wanted. Right now I'm wasting about 2 GB of space because of having to have a separate copy of the same file in several applications.

I think it might be one of the worst designs in computer history, although I suppose not a huge issue for the majority of iPad users that don't really use it for anything other than light browsing (hopefully without wanting to upload files) and playing Angry Birds. It's not very well designed for anything more advanced, nor is it very suitable for consumption -- not even for basic things like video (all your videos in a big list ?? several clicks to open one of them??)

5. waa1futs macrumors 6502

OP is out of his mind on certain points :rolleyes:

"(iOS) youtube app is much better than the browser version (on PC's)"
    "iPad OFFICE apps are amazing but laptop has a keyboard. Draw"

The list of madness goes on and on...

6. OSxiPro thread starter macrumors member

OSxiPro

No way to share files between apps? What? All the apps I use can share files between them. Ie: iPhoto to iMovie and what's more? It automatically synchronises. Or maybe the files from my password management app sharing files to Dropbox, etc.the list can go on and it's not all exclusive to just apple apps.

iPad is only used for angry birds? Oh my lord. Are you high? A lot of people use iPads for more serious stuff now a days. I use my iPad for everything my desktop PC used to do. As do a lot of people. Heck; even companies supply people with iPads instead of laptops now a days. Keep up, we are not in 2010 any more.

Not even basic things like video? What? There are many videos apps which categorise based on tags such as genre. One click to open.

I'm sorry sir - but even though my list is biased, you sure as hell have not even attempted to make use of an iPad properly.

To the person who said laptops are miles ahead in hardware, there is one thing I would like to say. iPad 3 scored 6 time less than an average laptop, whilst the iPad 4 only scored 3 times less. What's next? iPad 5! And with performance constantly doubling I can imagine it scoring closer to the laptop than you may think. I'm not saying it will be faster any time soon - I'm just saying its not as far behind as you make it sound.

I would have imagined you guys would realise this was a follow-up to my last post well over a year ago that said it was a not so serious review which may help people who cannot choose between getting a cheap laptop or an iPad.

7. marc11 macrumors 68000

Wow, I could create this same chart comparing my iPad to todays lunch and have my lunch come out on top for productivity and the iPad for taste....way to biased to be of value. Nice concept, but way to biased.

8. bobbysmith macrumors regular

That is correct. The only way to share files between two apps is by copying the file from one to the other so that you end up with two independant copies, one belonging to each app. It's also extremely tedious to get files onto the device (without third-party stuff like iFunBox). You have to dig through layers of the extremely slow and laggy iTunes (on Windows), and even then there is no support for folders so you then have to into the app and further manage the files there.

Yes, iPads are mostly use as entertainment devices.

I don't think you have any basis for claiming that "a lot" of people and companies have replaced PCs with iPads.

Sure, you can buy video players to use instead of the built-in one.

I use one every day. The "proper" Apple way of using it is incompatible with any serious use. Some of your list is just plain wrong too. What laptop doesn't have bluetooth? The Apple office apps are amazing? They don't even come close to even the basic functionality of Microsoft Office, although I could forgive that if it was at least compatible with Office files. It isn't to any useful degree.

9. zerind macrumors member

WOW, this isn't biased at ALL. Nice to see so much objectivity from this forum for once.

That's sarcasm by the way.

10. jarred125 macrumors 6502a

OP, you have no clue what you're talking about when you talk about companies giving their employees tablets instead of laptops. This may happen at one or two small firms, but I can assure you this is NOT the trend.

I work for a very large worldwide tech firm. They have only within the past year started investigating tablets to compliment laptops. The issue is, we have to run Citrix or RDP servers for the tablets to connect to for functionality.

As much as I love tablets and mobile devices, they are not a replacement for laptops at this point. In fact, they are very far off from it still.

11. zerind macrumors member

Yuuuuuuuuuuup.

12. syd430 Guest

Brb need to compare my toaster with a spatula. There can be only one winner.

13. jarred125 macrumors 6502a

Pshhhh, you can cook in the toaster .. who needs a spatula!

14. OSxiPro thread starter macrumors member

OSxiPro

Toaster clearly wins this one. Or does it? No. It doesn't. Because you need a spatula to spatulate stuff. Also; random spam is great in threads. Right?

I have said this time and time again not to take this thread too seriously. :0

15. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    The OP forgot to rate one important quality: Aesthetics

In my eyes, the Windows 8 start screen is downright ugly.

16. Infinite Jest macrumors 6502

Well, I'm kind of hoping Apple does something eventually with the drab icon grid.

17. darngooddesign macrumors G3

YouTube is wrong as well.

The browser wins out because the laptop will play everything while the ipad won't play videos that aren't allowed on mobile devices. Not to mention the laptop allows you to save YouTube videos and extract the audio, which you can then eaily add to your music library.

18. OSxiPro thread starter macrumors member

OSxiPro

But you can do that with other apps on the iPad.

I would accept criticism if it was thought out or people actually played around with the platform in question but one thing is for certain - a fair amount of people in this thread are very depreciating towards the iPad. A certain other popular mac forum actually thought the chart was good and suggested things to add or change. It just shows me the difference between people who are open minded and people who just have bad stuff to say before even reading a few sentences in the first post.
    /ends rant

19. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

I do 98% of my work these days on my ipad. I don't understand all the hatred towards using an ipad as more than a media pad. It can replace a laptop in a lot of cases. It would be nice to offer support to Bluetooth mice as it does to the Bluetooth keyboard. The fact that you can't use a mouse with the ipad without jailbreaking isn't enough to write the ipad off.

20. Arianasieghart macrumors newbie

Arianasieghart

Totally agree with the bluetooth mouse idea, it would make life a ton easier.. And I also agree. I do 99% of my school work on my ipad minus typing long papers since i've yet to invest in a keyboard for my ipad. Otherwise, I don't even think I'd need my MBP anymore.

21. bobbysmith macrumors regular

How is it "hatred" to point out the shortcomings? If I "hated" the iPad I wouldn't have one.

The fact is that many of the shortcomings are quite severe when it comes to being a useful laptop replacement (or complement). No file system, no support for external storage, no sane way of transferring files over USB, Office support ranging from unusable (the Apple apps) to mediocre (various paid apps), no Flash, no Java, no display output without outrageously expensive add-ons, and so on.

It's not made better by the fact that the thread starter does not even seem to know how the iPad he is pushing works (e.g. thinks you can share a file between apps when you can only copy it back and forth).

Does it make the iPad useless as a productivity device? No, at least not if you can work around them and have little need for integration and interaction with common solutions in use today, but they're still pointless and stupid limitations.

22. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

I call it hatred because from the sound of this thread it sounds like people want to smack the OP for his point of view. Oh, and a lot of the apps support Dropbox, so external storage is covered. Who cares about USB with Dropbox. As for Apple's iWork apps, they are perfectly usable until Microsoft wakes up and releases Office iOS. You can share between apps if you save the files to DB. You can use the ipad as a laptop replacement if you're creative. It may not be the easiest thing, but it is doable.

23. zerind macrumors member

Let me know when I can edit 5k+ photos in a few hours efficiently on an iPad. Until then I'll keep my iPad for reading news and sending emails.

24. temna macrumors 6502a

temna

Oh please, there are lots of computers that can't do that, plus the ones that can require expensive software to do it. You can edit photos using photoshop on the ipad, just not sure about 5k+ pics. That is hardly a compelling argument against the ipad as a desktop replacement.

25. zerind macrumors member

LOL @ editing photos on an iPad. No thank you. I'll stick to a proper laptop for anything that requires decent software and processing power. Which is most every business app I use on a daily basis. No current iPad could ever replace a laptop or a desktop for me. In fact, I'd say people who can use an iPad as a replacement are the exception, NOT the rule.