iPad iPad4 strange screen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Pagemakers, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Pagemakers macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

The screen on my iPad 4 looks ok when you look directly at it. It you look at it from an angle it is very yellow.

I've had an iPad 3 and I've got an iPhone 5 and I've never seen this phenomenon before.

2. bobright macrumors 601

oh boy here we go more confirmation of faulty 4th gen screens

3. seazer macrumors newbie

I bought an ipad 4 before work this morning.

I actually returned a beautiful flawless third gen for this unit, and to my dismay, ive found a very yellowish tinted display.

This is not being OCD... this display is far more yellow than my previous third gen. It has the tint my 5 year old ASUS laptop LCD screen has.

I am very disappointed and will be returning it.
    Why did they have to go with LG?

4. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

My iPad 4 screen doesn't seem to get nearly as bright as my third gen screen did, even at max brightness. Is that what you mean by the yellow tint?

5. seazer macrumors newbie

I don't think it's the brightness... the white background on websites seem dull with a yellow tint.

6. cang87 macrumors member

If you will return it only because of that reason, give it some time. It was an iPhone issue too. It's typically the glue settling in after the screen is used for the first time. But normally, as much as you use the device,you let the screen burn and the yellowish colour has to be disappear. Use it for a week and see if there is a differance which you can see.

7. RJCP macrumors 6502

This time I was lucky...
    My first ipad 3 went back to the store the next day... 3 dead pixels. The second one went back for the exchange programme a week ago with dead pixels and light leaking.

This one so far has no issues.

8. HarryWarden macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that's what I meant too. Mine has the same issue.

----------

Did your iPhone have this problem too? Did it go away?

Mine doesn't have any noticeable backlight bleeding but does have the very warm yellow screen. Debating whether to return it.

9. kalt macrumors regular

i put my ipad 3 right next to my ipad 4, both screens are set on the exact same brightness level. I cannot tell any difference at all, and I ran a bunch of different programs with different colors. No yellow issues here.

Incidentally, i clicked on Maps on both at the same time, and the speed the ipad4 loaded was at least twice as fast as the ipad 3. The 3 was still loading the map images when the 4 was complete.

10. Jetson macrumors 6502a

Jetson

This is a relief to hear.

Honestly, I would hate to have returned my iPad 3, which had a gorgeous display, to get an iPad 4 with dim, yellowish display.

Samsung knows how to make LCD displays, that much is clear.

Why did Apple have to go with LG?

11. seazer, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012

seazer macrumors newbie

https://discussions.apple.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-20111254-166740/iPHone5_Yellow_Screen.jpg

The above link is a photo of someones iphone 5 screen vs iphone 4s.
    It best describes my ipad 4 screen compared to my previous ipad 3.

I had no idea about iphone 5 issues til just now, but I guess this tint is just a characteristic of LG displays?

12. mac jones macrumors 68040

I don't know. But my ipad 3 screen looked UNBELIEVABLY yellow when I first turned on 6 months ago. It's fine now

Haven't a clue why, or what.

13. dendkmac macrumors member

dendkmac

Screen on the iPad 4 64gb looks great with no flaws seen at this time.

14. Dstopsie macrumors 6502a

My screen on my white 32 gig ipad 4 looks absolutely perfect no flaws that I can see very happy with this love love love my new iPad. Wi-Fi is super fast honest just like on my iPhone 5

15. Deasnutz macrumors 6502

I think you should take to the Apple Store, compare it to the display model, and exchange it accordingly. That's what I would do, use your power while you can.

It could fade, or remain. Why take a chance when it bothers you?

16. cang87 macrumors member

I had this problem with my iPhone 5. Approx. in 10 days it went away. First I thought I get used to that yellow screen :D But than I compared it with all the devices in Apple Store and that was really gone.

In my opinion, wait till the end of the 14 day return policy... If it's still not like you expected till that time, return it just before exceeding the 14th day..

17. Pagemakers thread starter macrumors 68000

Pagemakers

I wonder if it does actually go away or do you just get used to it?

18. Dlanod macrumors 6502a

Mine is one of the best iPad screens I've had. Thank goodness. It's usually a farce to get a decent one.

19. cang87 macrumors member

That was something what I really was wondering too! :) But I really compared it with every single devices in the Apple Store which I was so sure that they had the white screens. I even compared it with the Genius's iPhones which they make every process of your shopping. I feel comfortable at the end because the yellowish screen really become white. As I said, logically as soon as the screen gets heat and fits well on the device, it is something normal.