Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
Hello. Does anyone else have broken favicons in iPadOS 15 Safari tabs? Very often my tabs are showing completely the wrong icon. Along with the My First Sidebar, Safari these days is a total embarrassment. Might start using betas in the hope of improved stability ?

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
No problem with the favicons here. iPadOS 15.2.1, 2020 iPad, iPP, 221 iPP. Try to clear history and website data in the Safari Preferences.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
No problem with the favicons here. iPadOS 15.2.1, 2020 iPad, iPP, 221 iPP. Try to clear history and website data in the Safari Preferences.

Yeah tried that. Still randomly swapping the icons for others. First world problem but surprisingly irritating. Especially as you can now no longer disable them. Apple in 2022 ?

dave14305

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2019
I experience this swapping on a few sites, but they all end up using the same wrong icon.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
I experience this swapping on a few sites, but they all end up using the same wrong icon.

Ah thanks for the response. I was getting close to wiping the iPad and starting again but if others are experiencing the same problem then it’s probably just another bug that they will never fix. Not exactly the end of the world but I’m a bit OCD about stuff like this so I find it unreasonably irritating. If it annoys me enough I’ll probably try a Reset All Settings but I am not confident it will fix anything. All the more annoying that you used to be able to disable them. Yet another change Apple have made that broke something. Safari is fast becoming a dog’s dinner. Some of their design choices are unfathomable at times. Remove the ability to remove the favicons and then break the favicons while you’re doing it. Amazing ?‍?

dave14305

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2019
The topper for me is that it thinks they’re all Fox News. ?

1643129562301.png

MilaM

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2017
I have the same problem with favicons in Safari on iOS as well as on macOS. It's a quite old bug and was present at least since iOS 14 if not earlier. Clearing caches does not help as far as I know. It's not a problem of the respective websites. The same show with correct icons in Firefox.

It's just one of the numerous Safari bugs/annoyances that you just have to live with.

I also think it's very irritating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.