Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

triptolemus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
They’ve never really been “tabs.” They’ve always represented “web pages.” Subtle distinction, and probably an unhelpful one.

Huh? It's "tabbed browsing" as a concept across the industry and referred to "tabs" by Apple in iOS and macOS.

Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 11.32.01 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-07-27 at 11.35.35 AM.png

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Gotta disagree. But maybe we're touching on one of the problems with psuedo-skeuomorphic design.

The concept of tabs being "visually tabs" in the UI (in all GUI OSs) goes back pretty far.

View attachment 1811685
Dude - I was talking about macOS/iOS. I clearly said so if you look at the chain of messages. You are proving my point - true tabs exist in lots of OS's, but never in iOS/iPadOS/iPhoneOS, and not for a very long time in Mac OS's (which is something i expressly said in this chain of posts).

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Holy moly ravioli, Apple is making a mess with Safari during the betas

Why is the tab overview icon different between iPhone and iPad/Mac?

The HTTPS lock icon, search icon, and refresh icon look like a mess. They look centered out, yet they feel like they’re not and look off center. Not to mention the line thickness and colors are just everywhere.

The redesigned tab bar looks like multiple address bars. And looks even more ridiculous when you just have two tabs and the window is extremely wide.

They went backwards with their compact design because it’s just a cluster cluck.

TmszLBMrv

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2021
No they don't. To be an actual tab, the horizontal line should be on the TOP of the "tab," and there should be no separator on the BOTTOM of the tab.
I said "tab of the browser window". The interface. Not the content of the window. In the way you described, if you want to keep tabs on the bottom, the active tab should also be in the color of the page being displayed and have no border between.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I said "tab of the browser window". The interface. Not the content of the window. In the way you described, if you want to keep tabs on the bottom, the active tab should also be in the color of the page being displayed and have no border between.

“tab of the browser window” makes no sense as a conception. Each tab is associated with content. Like tabs in a binder. This is why tabs have always looked like what is shown above in post 33. For whatever reason Apple inverted that, but tapping a tab doesn’t change the chrome (above the tab), so it makes no sense.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I’m so glad they made this change. It’s so much clearer to use and it’s a lot more trackpad friendly. You can only simplify a UI so much until it becomes more complex again because of lack of discoverability and multiple taps needed to dive into menus to do basic things.

triptolemus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
Dude - I was talking about macOS/iOS. I clearly said so if you look at the chain of messages. You are proving my point - true tabs exist in lots of OS's, but never in iOS/iPadOS/iPhoneOS, and not for a very long time in Mac OS's (which is something i expressly said in this chain of posts).

Dude - what you clearly said was that your subtle distinction was probably an unhelpful one. On that part, we agree.

If you don't think those things that represent web pages should be called "tabs", what on earth do you suggest as an alternative? Little Weird Button Things That Represent Web Pages That Aren't Tabs?

techfreak23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2013
The tab bar was the most frustrating part of the first two betas. Glad they decided to change it like they did with the macOS beta.

DaveMcM76

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2012
Scottish Highlands
It looks like bookmarks are still hidden away. They need to make that as simple as it was in iOS 14. Should not take multiple clicks to get to the bookmarks.
Yep, and as someone who has bookmarks in folders a couple of layers deep, having to click back all the way up the folder tree to the top layer to be able to close to the sidebar after choosing a bookmark when using the iPad in landscape mode is a massive PITA. In portrait mode the sidebar gets closed automatically when you choose a bookmark. I want that to happen in landscape too, even if it is an option I have to turn on!

Reactions: Luke MacWalker

BulkSlash

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2013
I like the more compact layout and I’m quite used to it now, so I’ll probably stick with it. It does need a bit of work still (like a reload button, assuming that’s not in the latest beta) and I’d rather have the old tab button permanently displayed than the share button but that’s only a small issue.

gank41

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2008
I will point folks to the iTunes Store app on iOS, and to the “More …” option in the bottom right. Tap that, and then Edit in the top right. Boom. A great example of how Apple could get customizable icons and stuff going in iOS (and iPadOS, for that matter). Would gain some sort of parity with macOS’ Safari then, too.

Reactions: BulkSlash

gank41

macrumors 68040
Mar 25, 2008
And the reload button is back to where it belongs, progress! ?
Unfortunately, the reload option in Safari on iOS is in the same spot as the Reader View icon… while extra space remains at the bottom.

Also, if you want to tap to type in the Address Bar, there’s now a Reload icon in the middle of that space, because you can tap on either the left or right side of it to bring up the keyboard.

• Wow
Reactions: Luke MacWalker
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.