Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g35

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
iPad Pro 3rd gen 12.9", working fine on iPadOS 17 beta 1 until today when it stopped charging, also not detected by Mac through USB-C connection

Steps taken with no resolution yet:

- Tried different USB-C cable & power adapter with same outcome
- Visually inspected USB-C port for signs of dust/debris, none found
- Restarted iPad
- Updated to iPadOS 17 beta 2

Any advice on next steps? I was thinking of carefully using compressed air in the port for hidden debris, but not sure what else. I'm worried that if I put it in DFU mode, I'll have no way of getting it out (given that it isn't connecting to the Mac). Could also do a reset all content and settings.

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I wonder if the port somehow got fried. Do you have a Magic Keyboard and can charge from that? Maybe someone can confirm, but I believe you can get out of DFU mode just by rebooting the iPad again, assuming your Mac doesn’t detect it there.

matbishop

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2017
Same issue for me on my 11". Decided to try the beta, used it for a few minutes and wanted to downgrade. Plugged my iPad into my Mac, trusted the computer and it showed in Finder. Tried to put the iPad into recovery mode, simply rebooted and disappeared from Finder. Now iPad is not recognised by computer and also does not charge with wall charger, tried two cables. Simply cannot get the iPad into recovery mode.

Don't mind to continue using the beta, as long as charging starts working..

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
I had this issue on my iPad Pro 2018 11” - only force restart fixed it what is: click once: Volume up, then Volume down then Hold until Apple logo appear the Power button.
I am surprised I am not only person with this.
More details I noted there:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ipados-17-devbeta-bet-big-won-big.2392327/post-32237405

When creating bug report in Feedback app you can reference my bug report:
FB12287395

Additionally I have a hypothesis that USB-C is somehow not controlled by iPad and this can lead to discharging when connected power bank deplete - I had it 2 times, power bank was dead and then iPad were trying to charge powerbank but does not success but depleted in few hours almost whole battery…

Also, but it was present also on iPadOS 15, 16 my hub with usb-c, hdmi, usb-a, minijack audio only + card readers connected to one of the corners and naturally usb-c drinks power like crazy when plugged in and not used…

Last edited:
Reactions: matbishop

matbishop

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2017
Seems to have fixed itself, probably by force restarting? Feel I did that yesterday, but maybe I did not do it disconnected from the Mac. Thanks.

Reactions: addamas

jamalcodes

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2023
I just wanted to note that I had the same issue, and can replicate it by trying to go into recovery mode. I'm on iPadOS 17, and if I try to put the iPad into recovery mode it will simply reboot but will not charge or detect anything plugged in to USB-C. Force restarting (without holding the lock button) solves the issue.

• Wow

TheLight

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2023
I just wanted to note that I had the same issue, and can replicate it by trying to go into recovery mode. I'm on iPadOS 17, and if I try to put the iPad into recovery mode it will simply reboot but will not charge or detect anything plugged in to USB-C. Force restarting (without holding the lock button) solves the issue.
Could you please explain how to force restart without holding the lock button? I tried force restarting with the guide from Apple (quickly pressing volume up and down, then holding lock button until Apple logo) and it doesn’t resolve the charging issue.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
I just wanted to add that on recent Beta I just had it and Force Restart helped only to allow me charge from 30W Apple usbc brick on iPad Pro 2018 11”. I had no charging (even it has not started!!!) on IKEA usb-c cable and big power bank which is using the same cable charging even low voltage devices … FFS 🤦

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2018
No issues with charging. But my iPad 12.9 on 17 Public Beta 1 is not recognised by my iMac via USB-C. Also tried different cables, to no effect. I’m upgrading to Public Beta 2 later tonight. Fingers crossed.

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2018
I had this issue on my iPad Pro 2018 11” - only force restart fixed it what is: click once: Volume up, then Volume down then Hold until Apple logo appear the Power button.
I am surprised I am not only person with this.
More details I noted there:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ipados-17-devbeta-bet-big-won-big.2392327/post-32237405

When creating bug report in Feedback app you can reference my bug report:
FB12287395

Additionally I have a hypothesis that USB-C is somehow not controlled by iPad and this can lead to discharging when connected power bank deplete - I had it 2 times, power bank was dead and then iPad were trying to charge powerbank but does not success but depleted in few hours almost whole battery…

Also, but it was present also on iPadOS 15, 16 my hub with usb-c, hdmi, usb-a, minijack audio only + card readers connected to one of the corners and naturally usb-c drinks power like crazy when plugged in and not used…
“click once: Volume up, then Volume down then Hold until Apple logo appear the Power button.”

Click what once ? Volume up, then down using the physical volume buttons ? Hold what ? One of the physical volume buttons ? If so, which one or both ? Appear the Power Button ? This reads like a Harry Potter spell.

Other than that, clear as a bell. Thanx.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
“click once: Volume up, then Volume down then Hold until Apple logo appear the Power button.”

Click what once ? Volume up, then down using the physical volume buttons ? Hold what ? One of the physical volume buttons ? If so, which one or both ? Appear the Power Button ? This reads like a Harry Potter spell.

Other than that, clear as a bell. Thanx.
:D

Press 1x Volume Up button, then press 1x Volume Down, then 1x press and hold Power button until Known Fruit is showed on black screen.

Don't press in other order as it might do bad things if changing volume and lock phone are not wanted, this might maybe also lead to summon Android to your iPhone or something even worse. Just don' try!

Thanks for remembering me about this video:

Anyways this charging thing is more broken than I thought, see my other thread:

Last edited:

return2sendai

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2018
:D

Press 1x Volume Up button, then press 1x Volume Down, then 1x press and hold Power button until Known Fruit is showed on black screen.

Don't press in other order as it might do bad things, summon Android to your iPhone or something even worse. Just don' try!

Thanks for remembering me about this video:

Anyways this charging thing is more broken than I thought, see my other thread:
Cheers. Charging is not a problem for me, yet. But my iMac refuses to recognise my iPad. So the Harry Potter spell is worth a try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.