Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPadOS 18 will drop support for iPad models equipped with the A10X Fusion chip, according to a post on X today from a private account with a proven track record of sharing build numbers for upcoming iOS and iPadOS updates.

iPad-Air-5.jpg

This means that iPadOS 18 would not be compatible with the first-generation 10.5-inch iPad Pro or the second-generation 12.9-inch iPad Pro models released in 2017. It almost certainly means that iPadOS 18 would drop support for iPad models powered by the regular A10 Fusion chip too, including the sixth-generation and seventh-generation iPads.

The post was spotted by MacRumors contributor Aaron Perris, and it has since been deleted. However, this was likely because the account prefers to keep a low profile, and many of its previously-deleted posts contained accurate information.

If this rumor is accurate, iPadOS 18 would be compatible with the following iPad models:
  • iPad Pro: 2018 and later
  • iPad Air: 2019 and later
  • iPad mini: 2019 and later
  • iPad: 2020 and later
Apple is expected to announce iPadOS 18 at its annual developers conference WWDC in June, and the update should be released to all users with a compatible iPad in September. So far, key new features rumored for the update include new generative AI functionality for Siri and more, and RCS support in the Messages app.

The same source also expects iOS 18 to be compatible with the same iPhone models as iOS 17.

Article Link: iPadOS 18 Rumored to Drop Support for These iPad Models

Last edited:

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
This is no news. I already knew that iPadOS 17 would be the last upgrade possible for my 2017 10.5 iPad Pro when the upgrade was released on September 2023.
Hence the reason why I am replacing myh iPad Pro 10.5" with an iPad Pro 12.9" 512 GB within the next few days. Or wait for the rumored iPad Air 12.9" if Apple offers a 512 GB version.

Gloor

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2007
This is a better way to report, take notice Macrumors. As you can see, no need for 2 articles.

I think we would appreciate it more for the simplicity also.

Thank you

iPadOS 18 will drop support for iPad models equipped with the A10X Fusion chip, according to a post on X today from a private account with a proven track record of sharing build numbers for upcoming iOS and iPadOS updates.

iPad-Air-5.jpg

This means that iPadOS 18 would not be compatible with the first-generation 10.5-inch iPad Pro or the second-generation 12.9-inch iPad Pro models released in 2017. It almost certainly means that iPadOS 18 would drop support for iPad models powered by the regular A10 Fusion chip, including the sixth-generation and seventh-generation iPads.

The post was spotted by MacRumors contributor Aaron Perris, and it has since been deleted. However, this was likely because the account prefers to keep a low profile, and many of its previously-deleted posts contained accurate information.

If this rumor is accurate, iPadOS 18 would be compatible with the following iPad models:
  • iPad Pro: 2018 and later
  • iPad Air: 2019 and later
  • iPad mini: 2019 and later
  • iPad: 2020 and later
Apple is expected to announce iPadOS 18 at its annual developers conference WWDC in June, and the update should be released to all users with a compatible iPad in September. So far, key new features rumored for the update include new generative AI functionality for Siri and more, and RCS support in the Messages app.

The same source also expects iOS 18 to be compatible with the same iPhone models as iOS 17.

Article Link: iPadOS 18 Rumored to Drop Support for These iPad Models

Stromos

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2016
Woodstock, GA
Wait what? The iPad Mini 5th generation is going to lose support? That would mean they only support N and N-1 generation of mini's (Assuming a 7th generation mini is announced)? That's... nuts.
iPad Mini has always been a afterthought device made with old parts laying around so I’m really not surprised.

This is coming from someone who hopes every year for a Mini Pro. I hate anything bigger than the Mini.

Kissmo1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2021
I have the feeling iPad OS will be the same banana like it always has been with some AI.

While I am not complaining about the latest enhancements, it just feels like a Ferrari with and aggressive speed limitation applied (60mph/100hm/h top limit)

It could be so much more and it doesn't get enough love.
Amazing HW on an OK-ish OS....

Apple, please give us a propper OS for it 🙏🏻

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Given the state of iPadOS, this is not the end of the world. My still in use iPad Air 2, which I turn on once a week, is stuck on 15 and I hardly miss a thing.

God I wish my iPad had been “stuck” at 15, before they ruined the TV app.

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2004
North and east of Mickeyland
My 11” is a 2018 model.

If it doesn’t receive updates, I’ll upgrade.

Shame, as my current one works perfectly.
But is there something you are specifically looking for that a new iPad provides? If so, by all means, upgrade. If not, I would consider delaying the point where the old one gets discarded. Of course, if it’s a case of “been a while since I treated myself to a new toy”, most of us here can relate to that as well 😁

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I really wish Apple was better at making sure a supported OS doesn't wreck a device's usability. I have an old iPad Mini 4, and kept updating it as long as it would allow. iPadOS 15 absolutely murdered it, and it's absurdly slow now. Up to some point (iPadOS 14 maybe?) it was still zippy and responsive. Still keep it around for the kid to watch cartoons, but it's not usable for much beyond that.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.