Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Mac OS X was a complete gamechanger. Perhaps Apple's most important product of all time. Mac OS 9 and earlier still resulted in what was, at the time, considered a perfectly functional computer. But it still had inherent limitations that ultimately weren't going away without a complete rethinking of the operating system down to the very kernel. Every Apple device uses some form of Mac OS X (it's not called "Mac OS X" anymore, but it's still largely the same beast under the hood).

At this point, in early 2024, Apple needs this kind of a complete rearchitecting of iPadOS.

I'd argue that iPadOS is perfect for devices like the iPad mini, where content consumption is still the main use case over content creation. It's also perfect for something like the suffix-less iPad, which almost discourages the use of an Apple Pencil and lacks support for high-end features that the iPad Air and iPad Pros have that make those devices better for content creation, let alone long-term productivity, let alone proper laptop replacement.

For the iPad Air and the iPad Pro, Apple needs to replace iPadOS, as it stands today, with something that, while still not being macOS, actually makes sense to run on those devices when used for the kinds of things they want users to be using higher-end iPads for. iPadOS on iPad Air and iPad Pro is very much akin to Mac OS 9 on the G3, G4, and G5 based PowerPC Macs of twenty years ago.

The iPad and iPad mini should embrace the idea of being what they were ten years ago; excellent content consumption and low-end productivity devices with a simple UI inspired by the iPhone. They were great at that 12 years ago; they're still great at it today!

The iPad Air and iPad Pro should actually try to compete with similar tablets in their size category by offering an OS that can actually (a) put those powerful M-series SoCs to work (on more than just Stage Manager and a subscription version of Final Cut Pro) and actually give people a reason to consider buying an iPad Air/Pro over a MacBook Air.

I have no idea what this would look like. I can say that multi-user support outside/beyond context of Apple Business Manager, Apple School Manager, managed Apple IDs, and really any other sort of managed environment ought to be a must. The ability to use some form of Xcode should be a must. The ability to use the Terminal should be a must. Maybe installation of Apps outside of the App store might not be something Apple has an appetite for; but certainly a revamped File System (give or take an actual Finder replacement) with better drive management (e.g. a Disk Utility app of some sort) should be on the table.

This mythical higher-end iPadOS doesn't need to be macOS, nor should it. This is still a touchscreen computer. But it ought to be powerful enough (especially on something like the larger iPad Pro) to at least be viable at replacing 90% of what a MacBook Air or Windows PC Ultrabook is capable of doing.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
The iPad Air and iPad Pro should actually try to compete with similar tablets in their size category by offering an OS that can actually (a) put those powerful M-series SoCs to work (on more than just Stage Manager and a subscription version of Final Cut Pro) and actually give people a reason to consider buying an iPad Air/Pro over a MacBook Air.
Here is ONE major reason why… the iPad Air/Pro is more versatile than a MBA in regards to hardware (imo), I can transform my iPad Pro into a laptop (or desktop)… the MBA cannot be used as a tablet.

This mythical higher-end iPadOS doesn't need to be macOS, nor should it. This is still a touchscreen computer. But it ought to be powerful enough (especially on something like the larger iPad Pro) to at least be viable at replacing 90% of what a MacBook Air or Windows PC Ultrabook is capable of doing.
Tbf, I think what you desire… is a touchscreen Mac (some 2-1).

But there is this consistent narrative that Mac/PC users continue to harp on being that Apple needs to fix iPadOS or something… it never fails. Yet, they refuse to acknowledge how much Apple has done to improve on it. It’s as if the narrative has been Apple made no improvements.

They have added external display support that runs Stage Manager, introduced PlayGrounds (I think this gets overlooked), virtual memory swap, tons of keyboard shortcuts and desktop class API’s. But the features you are seeking might never come to the iPad… and that’s why the Mac exist.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
In what way is this not currently possible on an iPad as it is? If the hardware is really that good, then it's on the devs to figure out how to use it

The only way I see iPad OS going through its "OS X phase" is if the platform is opened up like a traditional OS, which would require Apple completely changing their stance on how much control they have over it... Just look at how much effort they put into going against the EU thing on thrid-party app stores or installing apps like a regular OS

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
iPad never Had any identity to begin with, and so Far I see nothing from Apple attempting to provide one however bad it might be. iPad in its core is still a glorified iPhone that can’t make phone call and receive text messages, plus no nfc chips and having a generally worse camera. iPadOS does make iPad feel more versatile but such versatility is extremely superficial and never address any issues plagued iPadOS being just a fork of iOS.

Thing is, iPad is Apple’s Product, not mine, not yours, not any of our customers. If Apple resist and refuse to rectify any of those issues mentioned by you OP or by other people, iPad will forever be the weird stepchild that nobody cares, awkwardly staying within Apple product lineup, not knowing what it can do best.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Thing is, iPad is Apple’s Product, not mine, not yours, not any of our customers. If Apple resist and refuse to rectify any of those issues mentioned by you OP or by other people, iPad will forever be the weird stepchild that nobody cares, awkwardly staying within Apple product lineup, not knowing what it can do best.
I enjoy using the iPad... plan on being an iPad user for the foreseeable future, so not sure what you mean by the iPad is Apple’s product.

The challenge the iPad faces… is that folks always compare it to the Mac, I don’t consider it a stepchild.. but the middle child. Stuck between the iPhone and Mac, never fully taking all Mac features… because it’s in Apple best interest to make the Mac preferable.

samanuel

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2012
Currently I use the imac pro for my audio production and my ipad pro for pretty much everything else. I am very fond of my ipad and have it almost always with me. Lately I’ve been wanting to simplify my recording and to be able to take it with me even when i’m travelling. Unfortunately almost all the software I use and am invested in only runs on mac os. Which is the main reason why I too would love for the ipad to run some kind of mac os version or be able to at least switch between the two so that I can use all my programs and plug ins. And please apple, bring back the audio jack to the pro ipad. People that record/mix audio usually still use big wired headphones. And needing a dongle just goes against this whole portability thing and is annoying.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
The iPad and iPad mini should embrace the idea of being what they were ten years ago; excellent content consumption and low-end productivity devices with a simple UI inspired by the iPhone. They were great at that 12 years ago; they're still great at it today!

Sounds great to me -- other than responding to emails, I basically just "consume" on my iPad Mini
(I include tons of website usage in that description)

Reactions: wanha and geta

iPadified

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2017
I have no idea what this would look like. I can say that multi-user support outside/beyond context of Apple Business Manager, Apple School Manager, managed Apple IDs, and really any other sort of managed environment ought to be a must. The ability to use some form of Xcode should be a must. The ability to use the Terminal should be a must. Maybe installation of Apps outside of the App store might not be something Apple has an appetite for; but certainly a revamped File System (give or take an actual Finder replacement) with better drive management (e.g. a Disk Utility app of some sort) should be on the table.

Who is the iPad Air /Pro for? People that buys Macs or people coming from touch (iPads/iPhones) who wants a "bigger iPhone" or people who needing some key professional features like the pencil (graphics designers) or the particular form factor (teachers, lawyers, pilots, construction workers, shops payment system etc)? Who of these needs Xcode? Who needs the terminal? Who need an advanced finder*? I can see the value of multi-user support in some cases.

If you look at the list use use cases above, you will find that most are one app at a time and for instance back ground compute is not high on the list. iPad OS should allow for back ground compute especially during video exports. If you mean multitasking as multi window support, you basically need large screen areas, which the iPad lacks as do the 13/14 inch Macs in my opinion. No clue how well that works on iPad with an external screen.

It is a misconception that the OS should use the power of a CPU/GPU. An OS should uses as little as possible of systems resources but should allow for powerful apps to be used (which the iPad needs). Current iPad OS can allocate 16 Gb RAM to one app which is more than sufficient for most cases but RAM management with the lack of swapping can be enhanced.

Would it hurt if iPadOS had Xcode, terminal and "advanced features" - no as long as the easy straightforward usage is the primary focus of the GUI.

Personally, I would put iPad Air as the high end consumption device (remember gaming) and leave the "Pro" to be the work horse. Many want the 12.9 for consumption so I predicts the Air 12.9 will be popular for that.

*With the video editing, external drives are a must because the cloud is too slow.

JonnyBlaze

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2008
UK
This is an interesting point, but I think an iPadProOS, if such a thing were to exist, would risk complicating consumer choices.
In my case, I have used an iPad Pro for several years since the first generation. I’m currently using the v1 11 inch, and I’m likely to upgrade to the M3 when it arrives. I get the Pro because it is my only ‘computer’ at home and while powerful, it helps me to keep computing simple. I don’t want, or need an OS which gives me infinite control. I don’t need terminal access, Xcode, but I want the screen, audio, and longevity that the processing power of the Pro models brings. I’m not sure a more evolved OS would put me off an iPad Pro, but it’s not what I crave.

Reactions: BanjoDudeAhoy

unchecked

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
iPad never Had any identity to begin with, and so Far I see nothing from Apple attempting to provide one however bad it might be. iPad in its core is still a glorified iPhone that can’t make phone call and receive text messages, plus no nfc chips and having a generally worse camera. iPadOS does make iPad feel more versatile but such versatility is extremely superficial and never address any issues plagued iPadOS being just a fork of iOS.

I think there’s nothing wrong with being a glorified big screen iPhone. That’s how most of us use the iPad anyway and that’s all it needs to be. And I think Apple knows that. If there are more people who think of iPads as a touchscreen Mac, they would have given it MacOS already.

Maybe at some point the folding screen Mac comes with a touchscreen. That could be the device these MacOS folks are looking for.

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
The main problem with this discussion is the prevalent misconception (in MR) of the iPad as a dying device that no one likes. We don’t have unit sales, just revenue, but the iPad has performed much better than the Mac since the start of the pandemic. Specially, considering that the iPad hasn’t received any major update, and the Mac has gone through a revolution that has made it a much better product. It took more than 1 year of no updates to make iPad sales plummet.

Most people can already do not 90%, but 100% of the work they do on their Macs on their iPads. Terminal, disk utility, etc. are things most people actively don’t want to deal with.

I will always choose my iPP over a MacBook Air. I find it much more enjoyable and simple than a Mac. And I only have to use my MBP for specific tasks (most people won’t need it).

The iPad is already used for many profesional use cases, just not the 3 ones that always come up in the tech bubble. They also try to make it a better device for video editing, programming, etc. but tbh I’m skeptic that they will ever succeed. A touch interface is not designed for that. What’s your suggestion on how to replace Stage Manager, FCP, etc.?

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
I have no idea what this would look like.

You and many others complaining about iPadOS not being fit for purpose.

I can say that multi-user support outside/beyond context of Apple Business Manager, Apple School Manager, managed Apple IDs, and really any other sort of managed environment ought to be a must.

Apple has positioned the iPad as a personal device.
Like it or not, I don’t see this changing in a hurry, in the same way it will not change on the iPhone.

The ability to use some form of Xcode should be a must.

Help me understand. Are you asking for tools to develop MacOS apps on an iPad, or for an iPadOS development platform?

The ability to use the Terminal should be a must.

Why?
How is the lack of Terminal hindering your day to day activities on the iPad?
How would the Terminal transform the iPad from a consumption device to a creation device?

Maybe installation of Apps outside of the App store might not be something Apple has an appetite for;

This is already being implemented in the EU.
It is a choice for Apple to allow it or not In the US and other markets.
No new OS required.

but certainly a revamped File System (give or take an actual Finder replacement) with better drive management (e.g. a Disk Utility app of some sort) should be on the table.

…and here we go again with the usual bottom line complaint, the File System.
So let me ask you, can you explain to me what can you do on a day to day basis with MacOS Finder that you cannot do with iPadOS Files?
How is Files stopping you from performing your day to day activities on the iPad?
I am genuinely curious to know why this is an issue for so many people.

As for the Disk Utility and things like the disconnection of external disks, etc… I agree that they would be useful tools.
Once again, these are functionalities that can be implemented by Apple today if they want to.
If this is what people want, this is what people should be campaigning for.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Here is ONE major reason why… the iPad Air/Pro is more versatile than a MBA in regards to hardware (imo), I can transform my iPad Pro into a laptop (or desktop)… the MBA cannot be used as a tablet.

Tbf, I think what you desire… is a touchscreen Mac (some 2-1).

But there is this consistent narrative that Mac/PC users continue to harp on being that Apple needs to fix iPadOS or something… it never fails. Yet, they refuse to acknowledge how much Apple has done to improve on it. It’s as if the narrative has been Apple made no improvements.

They have added external display support that runs Stage Manager, introduced PlayGrounds (I think this gets overlooked), virtual memory swap, tons of keyboard shortcuts and desktop class API’s. But the features you are seeking might never come to the iPad… and that’s why the Mac exist.

Can you run Logic on an iPad? Or using 3-4 programs, side by side on your big screen at the same time?

I really like my iPad Mini 6, and using it on a daily basis. For certain things like media consumption, sofa surfing and few other basic daily usage it can replace my Mac, but using it as a full 100% replacement it’s not possible.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I enjoy using the iPad... plan on being an iPad user for the foreseeable future, so not sure what you mean by the iPad is Apple’s product.

The challenge the iPad faces… is that folks always compare it to the Mac, I don’t consider it a stepchild.. but the middle child. Stuck between the iPhone and Mac, never fully taking all Mac features… because it’s in Apple best interest to make the Mac preferable.
iPad is obviously Apple's product because Apple designs and sells it.

Folks always compare it to the Mac largely because of that ridiculous "what's a computer" campaign featuring iPad. True story, my boss often says I have 3 laptops despite I only have two: one Windows laptop and one MacBook Pro. Reason? iPad Pro with keyboard accessory looks just like a laptop. A few other people I met in the past also says I am using a laptop when I am using iPad with keyboard.

So, Apple can choose to maintain status quo and inch forward iPad to be infinitely close to Mac but never become one, pick a direction and go with it: make iPad the best iPhone ever or full on MacBook Lite running a variant of macOS, or find a new direction to head into, such as making iPad the Apple Nest.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
and actually give people a reason to consider buying an iPad Air/Pro over a MacBook Air.
Why do you think Apple would have any interest in that? Apple ideally wants you to buy both, because they have different uses. That's also why they don't implement a desktop mode for iPhones. And certainly they won’t be adding multi-user support that would reduce sales. It’s very unfortunate, but that’s simply how modern Apple operates.

Apart from that, I see iPads used with a keyboard and trackpad as really a different mode of operation than their "natural" use as a tablet. While Apple could make the former work in a macOS-like fashion, a UI optimized for that doesn't really work for touchscreen-only use.

What I agree with is that Apple could and should make the iPad more power-user-friendly, for example regarding the Files app, automations and multi-tasking, home screen layout and so on. But that won’t make it a MacBook replacement for keyboard-and-trackpad usage.

Last edited:

scorpio vega

Suspended
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
I just can’t see the appeal of a touch screen mac. Horrible to use. If you want touch screen keep to the iPad. If you want to run pro apps buy a Mac.

I do a lot of photo editing and design work for my class and professional life. It’s why I fully jumped into apples ecosystem.

Millions would love the portability of a iPad and its touchscreen with the power of a MacBook Pro.

My surface pro and surface book are amazing devices.

Unfortunately, Windows is not great these days but if Anyone can perfect the surface ideology it would be apple.

Bones13

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2008
I have used various iPads since iPad v1. As a big reader since 3rd grade, the iPad has replaced physical books, and the early ebook readers. It works great for email and web browsing, where ever I am. (WiFi, or phone hot spot) with a bluetooth headphones, a good video viewer. I have experienced the upward creep of functionality of the iPadOS, but I do think they will continue to keep the functionality under MacOS levels for obvious reasons.

Retiring this year, and I will be updating devices while I can write them off on taxes. M1 Mac Studio, and 11 inch M1 iPadPro will get upgraded.

The M1 MBP, which lives in my work office (and travel) will not, as the iPadPro, with the keyboard will handle anything I want/need to do away from my desk.

I am aware of the overlap in price / functionality of a MBA and an iPadPro with matching keyboard. But the physical versatility of the iPadPro works better for my usage. On the other hand, if you were only allowed one device (not including phones), then a MacOX laptop makes the most sense.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.