iPads and Christmas

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tl01, Nov 15, 2016.

  1. tl01 macrumors 68000

    Jun 20, 2010
    So, there are no new iPads between now and Christmas right? I had hoped that there would be a new mini but I think it is now March right? I hate to buy devices that are about to be replaced... I have been waiting to replace my mini 2 forever!
  2. Channan macrumors 68030


    Mar 7, 2012
    New Orleans
    You should have replaced your mini 2 a long time ago. Go for the mini 4 now on sale if you really want a new mini. If you don't, you risk waiting until spring and finding out Apple doesn't announce a new mini or it's not as big of an upgrade over the mini 4 as you thought.

    Worst case scenario is that the mini 5 actually is incredible and you sell your mini 4 that you already got on sale so you don't take a massive hit and purchase the new iPad mini, and how bad is that scenario where the new iPad mini is amazing? :p
  3. sjleworthy macrumors 65816


    Dec 5, 2008
    Penarth, Wales, UK
    I too really want my first mini, but the spring event is too important to miss. Cometh the spring, i'll be buying a mini whatever.
  4. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

    Sep 7, 2010
    Keep in mind that there's no guarantee that there will be a new Mini in the Spring. Of course it's all just rumours at this point, but those rumours are suggesting new 9.7" and 12.9" models, and possibly a new 10.9" device. Sadly, no rumours have suggested a new 7.9" iPad at this point.
  5. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

    Jul 9, 2008
    cherry point
    I really want apple to put out a new 9.7 (hopefully with a larger screen on the same dimensions) iPad pro by xmas so that I have an excuse to buy a new one and gift my original ipp 9.7 to my son. He has really taken a liking to swift playground and for his age I am amazed at how quickly he is taking to it. Because of this I really want to get him a full size iPad (he has my original mini still) and I think that giving him my ipp will give him an iPad that will last him years to come and more importantly give me an excuse to buy a new one! Sadly, I don't see apple putting out any new iPads between now and xmas so I think I am going to just get him an air 2 from walmart for $350 (I think is what the deal is right now, hoping for better on cyber monday) and syncing my old apple keyboard to it through BT.
  6. bensisko macrumors 65816

    Jul 24, 2002
    The Village
    Generally I go for the "unless you know for certain within a month, buy now for what you want/need now" mentality.

    There's no guarantee a new mini will come, but if you feel you can wait four months just to be sure... I say go ahead and wait. If you're just worried about a spec boost, then buy now and don't worry about a slight spec boost. If you're waiting for Pencil compatibility, I'd say it's worth the wait.
  7. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68000

    Jun 20, 2010
    Well, it isn't just my iPad being replaced...it is my kids 2 iPads as well! They have iPad mini 2s as well and I have an iPad Air I would like to replace too. Seems like it is a bad plan to buy a bunch of "old devices". I wish the current mini had a more current chip. Maybe I'll get just one of mine replaced for Christmas and get the other later. Don't they want us to need a bunch of new stuff for Christmas;). Silly Apple!!
  8. Geekbabe macrumors 6502a


    Nov 20, 2011
    My son has the last good Kindle HDX, am thinking of getting him an iPad for Christmas, trying to decide between the mini 4 or an Air 2. Budget is a consideration but so is gaming, I will also get him an iTunes card to replace his games
  9. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020


    Aug 27, 2014
    Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
    As others have said, iPads are more of an Easter thing.

    My money is waiting for that, as I'm going to use the newest iPad Pro as an EFB (Electronic Flight Bag).
    Take a look over at 9to5toys.com I've seen some $100 iTunes gift cards for $85. I'm hoping for the $70 ones, but that may be just hope.

Share This Page