iPad Pro iPads and external drives and torrents

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jdaniel, Mar 12, 2017.

1. jdaniel macrumors 65816

Hi guys have a few questions:

I currently use a macbook pro 9.2, Which is heavy and difficult to lug around now that I am travelling more often I am thinking about moving to an ipad pro.

1. I am going to be using a NAS type external drive like WD My Wireless Pro.

2. Is there an easy way to use my ipad to download and store files to this external drive?

3. Is there an easy way to download torrents using the ipad and store them either internally or externally?

2. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

The only way I can think of would be to use your torrent clients remote webpage too access and control torrents.

Apple really does like torrents, so you won't find companion apps.

You could perhaps download the torrent file to Dropbox and have your client watch that folder for new torrents.

3. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks for the response.. but where would I run this torrent client? I'll have an ipad an an external drive which I think can run plex media server but I dont know if it can run anything else...

4. robotica macrumors 6502a

robotica

You would have to have a computer connected somewhere... unless you nas has a torrent client built in.

5. ayetta macrumors newbie

I had (still messed up after I've run every disk recovery method imaginable) a 3 TB WD MyPassport Wireless Pro that went to crap...twice. Needless to say....these apps might come of some use: "FileBrowser" for sure, FileApp, Infuse (videos), Tresorit (cloud-based storage, offers free trial I think)

6. ayetta macrumors newbie

Do you use WD's MyCloud app? I just used FileBrowser. Can even see hidden files. Be careful though....mess with them on your WD, and it could cost you a warranty.

7. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

haha why would you keep using that app I assume it is an app? filebrowser? if it keeps messing with your drive? haha

And all those apps you mentioned... do they run off the drive or your ipad? I was told WD has some kind of app store for this drive?

Thanks

8. ericwn macrumors 6502a

I thought I read somewhere that Synology NAS have a torrent app/ download function.

9. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

yeah but they are not exactly portable

10. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

I have found wireless external hard drives to be most unreliable. Check out iCloud or Dropbox options if you are going to dispense with laptop/desktop.
    Unlike android, there is no torrent app for IOS.

11. Longkeg macrumors regular

Apple will not permit any torrent clients to be sold in its App Store. The only way to do what you want on an iOS device involves jail breaking, which is a whole other topic for another forum.

12. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

Theoretically, the WD My Passport Wireless Pro can run a torrent client. Unfortunately, the weak CPU and low RAM on the device makes that impractical.

13. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

This is an oxymoron...there is no USB external mechanical drive that offers "NAS" type performance or reliability.

If you think that...wait till something happens. They cry later.

If you want to torrent...there are many alternatives better than this.

14. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

But they didnt mention USB :confused:

To OP, as far as torrents go, I think there is a website where you could download them 'zbigz' i think its called. You can use something like goodreader's web browser to download the contents onto your iPad, then if your external hdd is supported by goodreader, transfer the contents there. I did it once long ago, but its not the best workflow IMO.

15. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

Went back and you're right.

16. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

The WD My Passport Wireless Pro is a NAS.

Also, "NAS" type performance and reliability encompasses such a wide range. On one hand, you've got low power devices with ARM CPU and 512MB RAM or less such as the Passport Wireless. On the other, you've got multi-CPU Xeons with hundreds GB of RAM.

17. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I beg to differ.

But that is a topic for another day. And one which I'm not interested in debating at this time. Peace out.

18. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

Based on the complexity of what you do, did you consider a 12" MacBook? It's almost as light as an iPad Pro, and would be even lighter than an iPad Pro + keyboard.

19. sdz macrumors 6502

Exactly this!!!

I still don't understand, why Apple does not allow me to install a Torrent Client on my ipad Pro and let me decide which Apps are allowed to run in Background...

20. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

You would be much better off with a MacBook. The type of freedom you are looking for just doesn't exist in ios.

21. DNichter macrumors 68000

DNichter

I have dealt with this scenario for years and was never able to find a great solution until I bought a QNAP TS251+. With this, they have a great app for the iPad with a "download station" that searches many torrent sites and you can download torrent files directly to the server. I would suggest going this route if you can't get your current solution working right. Costs about $500.

22. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

Check out Nvidia shield tv. I do not have one but may do the trick. $200

23. Hym tix macrumors member

Hym tix

$500 for a torrent NAS? $200 for Shield TV?

It doesn't have to cost that much. just set up an old PC on your network and remote in from iPad. Then share the files to any standard NAS and install FileBrowser or other NAS viewer on iPad. Done. Bottom line is that there has to be some kind of hardware beyond just the NAS and iPad.

24. jdaniel thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the replies guys..QNAP will not work for me I am looking for something portable. I travel alot and this remote thing is probably not a good idea...

25. DNichter macrumors 68000

DNichter

Portable how? The iPad is portable. You can access the NAS on your iPad from anywhere in the world.