iPads and Macs will be on the same "level"..

Discussion in 'iPad' started by brayhite, Jun 17, 2011.

1. brayhite, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011

brayhite macrumors 6502a

..when on the iPad there's
    • native access to more than just your iTunes music and 64 GB worth of storage space
    • native Flash support
    • USB support
    • multiple user-support
    • enhanced app/folder security
    • more native iPad-other device support when on same network
    • and so on

This isn't meant to be a troll post at all, but when Steve said that computers are "just another device", that's like saying a Porsche is now just another automobile (note, this is not me saying Macs are the Porsche of computers). When, until most of the above and others are capable of being completed on an iPad, I will always see the iPad as complementary device rather than a full substitute.

I know the emphasis has been put on demoting the laptop rather than promoting the iPad, but there are still many functions that the laptop serves and serves well that the iPad can't do (yet). So to me, the laptop and ext. HD will always be my "hub", unless Apple gives me 1 TB of free storage space and limitless sharing capabilities.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Nothing in "the Mac is just another device" was meant to imply that the devices all had similar capabilities. All he was saying was that the Mac was no longer the "master" or "truth store" in the syncing world anymore, this would be the cloud.

3. darngooddesign macrumors G3

A more apt analogy is that Mini Cooper is just another SUV.

Lighter, more fun to drive, but less capable of doing heavy lifting.

4. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

But it still is. The cloud provides users with a lot more added functionality, but again, cloud storage space simply does not allow you to create a cloud hub. It's more like a cloud rest stop. My computer and external hard drive will still be where I focus my storage of nearly all of my media, and to me, that makes it's my "master" device still.

5. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

The iPad and Macs will never be on the same level. They are different machines for different pourpose. The iPad is a whole new breed of computer.

PS: the iPad will will never support flash.

6. Carouser macrumors 65816

So brayhite has some arbitrary criteria which have to be met before he considers two distinct devices on the same "level". This matters to anybody because . . .?

Also, giant lol at the idea that the laptop is being 'demoted'. Someone hasn't been looking at MacBook Air sales or anything about Lion.

These devices have electronic screens and do some similar things, but I don't get theis need to shoehorn them into some kind of hierarchy. A toaster is not a mixer and a truck is not a tank.Do people look at their smartphones and say "only when this does X, Y, Z, will I consider it a True Computing Device" (the funny part is X, Y, and Z are often deprecated old-school needs).

Also, the idea that technology advances by individual products doing 'more and more' is ridiculous. History is littered with all the functions and needs which have been jettisoned, or rendered niche, as the tools people use change. There's things old computers could do that you can't do now on personal computers; nobody cares because those things ceased to be relevant to people who wanted and needed personal computers.

7. MuggleReviewer macrumors member

MuggleReviewer

See Floppy Drive

the cloud is not meant to store your digital life, it is there to keep your devices in sync. That is why your computer maintains your entire photo-stream and the iOS devices only display the previous 1000. It's not about removing the computer. It's about getting rid of the middle-step to having all of your documents, photos, videos ect on each device.

8. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I think you missed his point, and you definitely missed the last keynote.

At the last keynote, Steve made the point that the Mac (iMac, MBP, MBA, etc.) is currently the "hub" for our digital lives. We connect our devices to that hub and sync them with it. The problem this caused was that if you had more than one device you were syncing with the hub (i.e., an iPhone and an iPad) they wouldn't necessarily be in sync.

So Steve proposed "demoting" the Mac to a device and to make the cloud the new hub. All you data is stored in the cloud and wirelessly syncs with all your devices, including your Mac.

I agree with Brayhite that the cloud can't really become the hub until enough storage is provided to keep all of my data (or, similarly that iTunes in the Cloud and iTunes match start working with Movies and TV Shows as well). But we're definitely heading down that road and well get there in the (hopefully near) future.

9. Carouser macrumors 65816

Nope, not at all, on either count.

That's right, which is why thinking about the desktop PC as the king of the device hierarchy, to which all things must aspire, is silly.

But brayhite didn't say 'we need a larger cloud', he said things like 'Flash support' and 'USB ports' and 'and so on', saying that the tablet has to do what laptops do in order to receive his assent. They're not there yet, he tells us, but that's the direction they have to go in. Why?

Again, 'needs to be like a desktop to be a Real device' is just a peacock term for 'needs to do the things I want for me to give it full approval'.

10. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didn't? At 3:55 p.m., I edited my original post. You posted at 4:10, giving you plenty of time to see the updated info. I added a part about additional space. And if you read any of my responses, I say:

So, while I admit I inserted some "arbitrary" functions that the iPad doesn't deliver on, some of those arbitrary functions could be deemed by me and others to be required unilaterally on all iDevices AND computers for my computer to no longer serve as my hub. One being USB support, the other being additional cloud storage (or additional storage in some way shape or form, whether it's cloud or USB).

11. Carouser macrumors 65816

Ok: "But brayhite didn't just say 'we need a larger cloud', he said things like 'Flash support' and 'USB ports' and 'and so on', saying that the tablet has to do what laptops do in order to receive his assent." (The 'just' was implicit, but I hope that clears it up.)

Do you really think that adding USB support is the only way around this? You're confusing arbitrary means with necessary ends. If we're going to live in the cloud, USB becomes superfluous, since all devices will talk to each other wirelessly.

EDIT: Getting rid of the computer as the hub isn't solved by making everything a computer; and not everyone's needs have to be met in order for the keynote claims to be justified.

12. brayhite thread starter macrumors 6502a

Forget I said anything about Flash support. Eliminating the computer as a hub for media means it's purposes must be duplicated elsewhere. The purpose of the computer as a hub for nearly everyone right now is storage of media and the way to sync and organize media across devices, backing up for restores all the same.

So what needs to happen? Syncing has been announced. Great. I have a cloud for syncing everything to and backing things up, making things substantially easier and fluid for all devices.

Organization can be achieved on the device itself. And we can delete and add music as we see fit, via the cloud. Also great and will make the things substantially easier.

What's left is storage. And the cloud, up to what's been announced thus far, just isn't enough. I don't know about you, but I have over 250 GBs worth of movies and music alone. Oh, and I don't have Internet access at all times on all of my devices. So hints must be stored locally, either on something internal or external.

So sure, I may confuse arbitrary wants as necessary means, but until you show me a more fool-proof plan, it's the basic truth. I, too, think everything will be in the cloud someday. But as we all know, the Internet isn't flawless. AT&T 3G fails. And some people have data caps. If we put everything in the cloud now, and Apple said that was all they'd do for your media, it'd be a huge problem. Therefore, my computer is still a hub. And my iPad is still much, much lesser of a device than my laptop.

13. Mak47 macrumors 6502a

Essentially what this does is make it possible to not use a computer as a hub. Many of us will still continue to do so, but there are millions of people out there who truly have no need to, aside from the arbitrary need to physically sync their device.

It'll be an interesting next few years. I think we'll see use and dependence on the PC decline considerably in favor of the tablet. Many users have no interest in computers aside from email, web browsing and Facebook. We will see a sort of "dumbing-down" of computing.

The tablet will become like the car, everyone will have one, some will have many. They'll be used for daily tasks and fun things. The PC will become like the truck. They will become more powerful and more intuitive. They will better enable you to manage what you can access on your portable devices, but will be largely used for work. In order for them to be acceptable, they will need to quickly and easily push out your documents to your portable devices. The cheap, crapware PC market will disappear, because it is no longer needed.

For someone using a computer for professional purposes, it will always be their hub, but the cloud is what will tie all of these things together. While it may seem a bit fuzzy today, Apple is positioning itself very well for the future, and it's users will be very happy it did once it all shapes up.