All iPads iPads and quality control

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AdonisSMU, Nov 28, 2013.

1. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Is there a problem with the quality control on iPads? It seems like there are issues with it. Also, does it really make sense to tether the iPad to iPhone specs even thought it has a bigger screen and needs more ram and more power?

There seems like a lot of complaints on here with the latest iPads.

2. chabig macrumors 68040

Complaining is a sport in the United States. That's all.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Not more than for any other newly released apple product.

4. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

The internet is where people go to complain. If your ipad is perfect you don't start a post saying my ipad is great. You go about your day and enjoy your ipad. Then there are those on here that plain look for problems even if there isn't really a problem... IE: gamut gate. Is it a thing? Yes. Is it a Problem? No.

5. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

6. AdonisSMU thread starter macrumors 603

One of my friends ended up buying an Air instead and rMini because of rMinis reduced color gamut.

7. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Hearsay.

8. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

I can't use my own experience for reference

but my first two attempts at buying an iPad Air resulted in hardware issues for both (no WiFi for the first and rattly tin-can speakers for the second one.)

Annoyed me decided to try one last time last night and landed a perfect (to me) iPad Air - with none of the previous issues.

I am not looking for yellowing or image retention and am over the RAM issue (never bothered me prior so why should it now?)

Yes, I can get quite belligerent and complain, but I will also say, yeah I got a fine Apple product and good/great service. Such was the case last night.

OP, if you'd like to get either iPad now, the best thing to do is try them out.
    There are QC issues at Apple. Some boil down to new generations/design kinks, some issues have been long-standing. For the record, those two iPad Airs were the first iDevices I've had issues with.

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

There seems to be a significantly higher number of happy iPad buyers than those complaining here, considering the millions sold and the handful of complaints posted here in comparison.

You cannot use this board and extrapolate these results. Google "Apple quality" and read some of the results. No company is perfect. When you produce MILLIONS of products, there are bound to be some with defects. Some people may even disagree with Apple's design choices. But Apple's commitment to quality is very evident in their products and design philosophy.

Apple returned MILLIONS of iPhones to Foxconn over quality issues. I believe Johnny Ive when he says its about design, not making money.

"Our goal and what makes us excited is to make great products. If we are successful people will like them and if we are operationally competent, we will make money."

"We say no to a lot of things that we want to do and are intrigued by so that we only work on a manageable amount of products and can invest an incredible amount of care on each of them."

So you can believe this, or the rants of an internet forum. Your choice.

10. Misskitty macrumors 6502

Ive boughten 8 ipads in my life and every single one has had at least 1 spec of dust under the screen. I dont even look for it now, I just expect it and hope its not too many.

One of the ipads, I exchanged 5 times cause they all had dust under the screen.

To me, its like an apple trademark now.

----------

It is a problem when you are paying double to quad truple the price over other tablets. You would expect top quality and no shortcuts taken.

11. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

What do you do that you need 100% color gamut? Do the youtube videos you watch look THAT much better? If you never saw an iPad rMini next to an iPad Air you would never know you have a problem. It's not a problem it's merely your perception of it and it's exacerbated by the people who merely "want the best" rather than "what is best for them"... emperor's new clothes syndrome...

A problem would be if the iPad rMini squirted burning hot battery acid out of the camera lens every time you turned it on...

As for "Quad Truble" the cost... I assume you're referring to the Nexus 7 and the Kindle Fire HDX. Both tablets that are sold at a loss or break neck costs for the company. One is sold essentially as a Dev Kit so they can grow their user base and the other is sold so they can sell you more crap on a video game system like model. Flip the coin and look at life from another perspective some time. Apple is a business and they make money selling hardware and they give away their software now. If you don't like how Apple sells THEIR hardware go to the alternative. Show them by hitting their pocket books because they don't really care if you're "happy" because your rMini is less colorful.

And for the record; I had both an Air and a rMini and I kept the Mini and returned the Air... The price point of the Mini and the physical size trumped the "inferior" screen. Which I honestly never have a problem with even though I know it's less saturated...

Actually if I were apple for the next rMini I'd make it spec for spec on par with the Air only I'd charge $75 more making the difference $25 dollars just to shut people up and show them realistically what the price difference between 2 inches of LCD should be (because a 324ppi vs a 261ppi screen would have a higher price point). That'll shut you people up.

----------

Is your friend a graphic artist?

12. harleymhs macrumors 6502

I have to agree! Apples QC is slipping! I went through 4 ipad airs in the past 2 weeks! Bot my last one the other night ( on the bottom bezel there is a MARK and looks like the white part of the screen in chipped as well! The other ones varied from Bad Battery, Home Button stiff, and speaker issue! TODAY will be my LAST attempt to get a GOOD ONE! After spending almost $1000.00 on a ipad it should be perfect! Had 2 bad iphone 5s as well! Last one EVERYONE said I sounded MUFFLED ( no case on it ) I have the APPLE BLACK CLOUD over me! My wife got a PERFECT 5s and a perfect Rmini! I may have to take hers! lol

13. KhunJay macrumors regular

KhunJay

I think apple is directly responsible for raising an extremely finicky bunch of customers.

They never miss an opportunity to talk about how they create products...re-doing things again and again till they're perfect, not taking the easy route, refining things even after everyone is satisfied...it's a good marketing manifesto....

but....

...consumers have taken it to heart.

So now, if I receive an ipad air with a screen that's off....I start thinking like apple (because that's what they've drilled into our heads)....

It must be perfect...that's what makes apple apple.

All we are doing is holding them to the impossibly high standards they claim they hold themselves to. Because those standards seem to have slipped a bit with the ipad air screen issue.

14. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

what ipad air screen issue? every year people here complain about the screens, yet every year i get one that perfect. strange

15. KhunJay macrumors regular

KhunJay

FWIW, Ive been buying apple gear for 15 years and havent returned or complained once....except this time about the ipad air screen.

16. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I have never had an Apple product, including 3 iPads, that was less than perfect.
    So no, Apple QC is not going to hell in a handbasket.

17. Misskitty, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013

Misskitty macrumors 6502

Its been said many times already on this forum, that its just unacceptable for Apple to be taking shortcuts and short ending the consumer on the product, whether its poor quality control, 66% gamut, yellowing, screen retention. Just because Apple decides to ship out screens on a $500 tablet, that has worse colour saturation than much cheaper tablets have, doesnt mean that the consumer should have to live with it.

Its like saying, you go buy a TV, you pay through your nose for it, but eh the manufacturer decided to put a cheap panel inside it, so the colours arent as good as cheaper TVs. But eh Ill just live with it, cause it is what it is. Well sorry if I dont see things that way, if Im paying overflated prices for a product, I want and expect top quality. When products half or even 1/3 the price have screens with more full color saturation, that is an embarassment. Its just unacceptable. There are no excuses for any of these shortcuts to be taken.

Quit being so gullable, you go on, keep trying to convince yourself that you, the consumer didnt get the short end of the stick and keep denying that the screen on your rmini isnt 66% gamut. Its a total slap in the face if you ask me from Apple. If this product was priced at a reasonable level, it would be an easier pill to swallow, but when you are paying overpriced numbers, your expectations go much higher.

18. rjsk macrumors newbie

There may be problem in hardware but do not upload to much apps in your iPad because it can slow speed of your iPad.

19. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you really think it is unacceptable, you need to vote with your wallet and not buy the rMini. But no, you've been posting many posts on this forum trying to decide between the Air and rMini. If you truly think what Apple did was unacceptable, you wouldn't be trying to pick between the two, you'd have returned the rMini and be done with this. If the rMini has enough features you find attractive that you're considering keeping it even though you are upset about the color gamut, then Apple has gotten it right -- there are enough customers around who are willing to compromise on this issue that yes, they can cut corners on the gamut in order to save money / increase profits.

20. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

The screen isn't the be all end all of products. I really wish apple would have put a 100% gamut 326ppi screen on the mini and charged 25 bucks less than an air so you can just cry about the price alone. I don't buy apple products for value. I'd go get a nexus 7 if it was all about specs for $$. But guess what my twice as expensive rMini is smoother than the nexus 7, feels faster and I enjoy the screen ratio for surfing and reading more... Screen yellowing is a flaw and a ad issue as EVERY product has. I'm sure there are lemons in the ipad air line, the nexus 7 line, the galaxy tap line and the Congo line. You have a yellow screen bring it back. But the color gamut thing and the image retention thing, pure hysteria. The image retention isn't an issue, and if it happens it goes away in 5 minutes... Color gamut isn't an issue until you compare it with the Air. My eyeballs have enjoyed pictures and videos on my rMini as much as it did when I had my Air.

Stop looking for the "best" and enjoy what you have. To me the rMini feels better to use. Even as much as I liked my Air the Mini was a better fit and value for me.

21. donnaw macrumors 65816

Actually on a tablet the screen is pretty much the 'be all, end all'. If the screen is subpar then the entire experience will be degraded. My iPad 3 had a bit of yellowing at the bottom (when using in landscape mode). I thought I would get used to it but having bought it on launch day, a year and half later I still hated that yellow. I never got used to it.

While I dislike the tabs reloading and the crashes on my new Air I certainly wouldn't be as accepting if the screen wasn't perfect. After paying close to $1000 I fully expect a screen without defects. After all, that's what I really see every time I use it.

22. doboy macrumors 68000

Yeah, I don't know how Apple managed to sell hundreds of millions of "non-retina" devices.:rolleyes:

23. donnaw macrumors 65816

And exactly what does 'non-retina' have to do with screen uniformity? I'll answer, absolutely nothing. I don't read any posts complaining about the number of pixels, only about screen uniformity and that would be an issue on any screen regardless of the pixel count.

If you can't see it then just be happy and move on. But those who can see it have every right to expect a uniformly colored screen. Some of us got lucky so good screens are out there. Personally I would only exchange once and then just get a refund and move to another platform. But then I'm not as enamored with Apple as some are.

24. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

You misunderstand, a flaw like yellowing is not the same as a lowered color gamut. That is in fact a defect, lowered gamut is not a defect in fact it's not even an issue. A defective screen is in the same boat as the home button not functioning at 100% or dead spots in the touch screen. Any or all these effect a user, color gamut only effect users looking to nitpick and compare.

25. donnaw macrumors 65816

No I didn't misunderstand. I was not referring to the color gamut. This thread is about QC and frankly screen uniformity is a QC issue. The post I referred to flat stated that the screen isn't the main factor and I simply replied that as far as tablets go it most certainly is since that is the part you actually see all the time. Regardless of OS you cannot 'unsee' a screen defect. Even just reading a book can be affected.

Whether a person disagrees with the decision to lower the gamut on the mini it was a specific decision by Apple. It is not a QC issue.