iPads and their operating systems

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iDrew87, Dec 18, 2011.

1. iDrew87 macrumors member

I have been reading couple of post in past from people with 1st generation iPads commenting how the current operating systems has slowed down and affected their iPads.

I find this a concern as i am planning on getting an iPad 2 or the next generation which i have been saving since september. (Aim to get a 64gb 3g model)

Reason for my concern is that whenever in the future when Apple introduced a new OS for the ipads, will it slow down each older models as the years past? iPad 1 isn't that old, people have forked good money and now Apple has slowed down the first gen due to the latest updated OS.

Will the ipad 2 be its next victim and will every future models that gets old with new OS get affected?

I have no idea but thought i'll ask on here

2. jhead95 macrumors member

First, you don't HAVE to update if your that concerned about speed. And second, why wouldn't wait another (presumably) 2-3 months and get the newer iPad that is expected to launch?

3. lavem macrumors member

lavem

I have a first generation iPad with latest software and haven't noticed any slowdowns. In fact overall I would say it has improved the user experience. If your buying an iPad 2 or 3 dont worry, you will get a good few years out of it.

4. matttye macrumors 601

iPad 2 is less likely to slow down as it has a dual core processor, which iOS is optimised to make use of.

5. iDrew87 thread starter macrumors member

*Thats okay then, made it clearer that you don't HAVE to update to a new OS

*Good to know some first gen users feel that the OS has improved their user experience.

*Thats brilliant to know about the dual core processor on current ipad 2 which iOS is optimised to make use of.

Well cheekily It has been my plan all along to wait for the next iPad which i am patient to wait for. Although i am dying to have an ipad tablet right this minute and I travel a lot about the place it would make good use. I am happy to use my macbook pro for the meantime but its too big for me to carry around

6. matttye macrumors 601

Just look at the current iPad and see if that has everything you want then make a decision. A lot of the time people wait for the newest version just to have the latest and greatest when it doesn't even have any new features they actually use!

7. iDrew87 thread starter macrumors member

My decision would be made, once the new ipad is unveiled at the next conference whenever that is. It all depends on how much improvement has been done and its redesign? I like the ipad 2's think they are lovely piece of equipments

As stated about this thread it was important for me to be sure about future operating softwares as when i buy the ipad it will be used for a very long time as i am not intending to be upgrading every year

8. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

My iPad 1 didn't slow down. I don't think you need to worry.

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I have a 1st gen iPad as well with no performance impact

You have to remember, some users on message boards delight in negativity and will pan anything
    While there may be some users affected by their unique configuration of apps, etc, there are many (most) like me who have not

10. TheSuperSteve macrumors 6502

Well maybe I'm the only one but my iPad 1 feels as slow as a second-generation iPod touch on iOs 4.2.1. Slow. Cant wait for the iPad 3. I was gonna upgrade anyways but this slow down makes my iPad hard to use.

11. Fry-man22 macrumors 6502

Fry-man22

My iPad 1 runs iOS 5 just fine and so does my wife's iPhone 4. Yes my iPad 2 and 4s runs them better, but the others are still fast/smooth in general use.

5.1 is a good release, battery on iPad 2 is back to where I expect it. Should be released soon.

Those saying their iPad is slow on 5 just want an iPad 2...

12. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Yeah I agree my iPad didn't slow down too much... it's quite a bit slower when compared to my iPhone though when you open a finder window or open an app...

What the new iOS did bring are a lot of crashes... and I think this is due to RAM. On my iPad Infinite Blade 1 crashed at the START screen every time unless I shut down my iPad and restarted it (a process that takes a full minute) and if I stopped playing an opened another app or 2 after that I'd have to restart all over again to play. Needless to say I never played Infinite Blade 1 on my iPad after a few times. I stick to my iPhone.

Safari crashes quite often too.

But this is all due to lack of RAM though 256mb in this day and age is quite paltry but 512mb I think will do fine for a few generations to come.

I ordered a used iPad 2 from Amazon yesterday for 555 shipped with a case... and I'm debating the same thing... I figure at the savings over a new iPad I can sell this one in mid-2012 for the iPad 3...

Also one of my biggest concerns is if they'll raise the price of the iPad 3. A double resolution LCD will be quite costly to Apple and based on their history with iPods I wouldn't put it past them to raise the prices of all the iPads slightly. They did it with it iPod Touch 4 the 3rd Gen 8gb was 199 and the 4th was 229 when it first released with it's retina display.

So they could be possibly end up going for $549, $649, and $749 for the wifi models.

Of course this is purely speculation by me.

13. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I have noticed that most users don't know how to close applications running in the background. Exiting from an app doesn't close it completely.

Also, some apps don't manage resources properly (this problem should be going away when apps are updated to iOS 5).
    In the meantime, hold Power and Home until the iPad resets and shows the Apple logo; it's like a power cycle and cleans any problems away.

14. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I'm not sure if you're referring to my issue... but closing all the apps did nothing for my iPad. (yes I understand the double press of the home button and holding down the open apps and hitting the X)

Infinite Blade would still crash with no other apps open.

15. Amazing Iceman, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2011

Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

When that's the case, a restart is what's needed: Hold both Home and Power until the Apple logo appears. It's the same as a Power Off and Power On (Hold Power until "Slide to power off" shows on the screen, and do that (Slide to power off!)).

If Infinite Blade still crashes after that, then your next step would be to remove it, restart your iPad again, and finally reinstall Infinite Blade.

My only complain about the iPad 1 is the lack of enough RAM to run apps. Still, the benefits are greater than my complain.

You may also want to check if any other users are having issues with that app or if it's just you.

EDIT:
    - The App description prompts you to go here for technical issues: http://infinitybladegame.com/faq
    - Also, strongly recommends using iOS 5 or later.

16. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Yes a restart fixes it. Then after I open a few other apps it'll crash at the start screen again... I didn't try the delete and reinstall as I bought that app after I updated to iOS 5. It was a fresh install to begin with.

It doesn't matter now I've sold it off for 400 bucks and ordered a 32gb iPad 2 for 555 shipped...

I think I got a good deal. Twice the capacity, twice the RAM, twice the CPU speed for what it would it had cost me to buy the first 16gb iPad after taxes in Los Angeles.

17. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I guess you cut the problem at the root. :D
    Heh! OK then. let us know how it goes with your new iPad 2.
    Apparently this issue has been happening to a small number of users, being you one of the unlucky ones; but that's going to change now... heheh!

You sold it for $400 ??? what was it? An iPad 1? what are the specs? I may sell mine too!

18. SporkLover macrumors 6502

Side by side, I notice it drastically. I believe what really exacerbates the problem is the lack of a second core and half the memory.

I believe the iPad 2 will be more future proof.

19. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

iPad 1 16gb. I sold it on amazon with my Incase Magazine case.

20. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Count me in as one of the first gen users less than thrilled with the new ios on that platform. Since the upgrade, I have experienced countless crashes and the iPad is much more sluggish.

Closing all background apps and cycling the power makes no difference for me. Interesting - the app that crashes the most is Safari, so it's not like I can remove and reinstall that. I have started using alternative browsers and that helps with the constant crashing, but it's a pretty sluggish device right now. I can't wait for the 3rd gen to come out so I dump this one.

21. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

I have experience some sluggishness but a restart usually takes care of it.
    You may also be running an app that is doing a poor job releasing resources after running or place in the background.
    At some point in time, GoodReader was causing problems for me, but it seems that a recent update solved the issues.

Overall, my iPad 1 runs good, my only complain is having 256MB RAM.
    I have even enabled gestures.
    Oh, one thing you may want to do is go to Settings -> General -> Date & Time -> Set Automatically = OFF

Also, reduce the number of apps that provide Notifications. This would free some RAM too.

22. Hamburger macrumors regular

my first gen iPad also runs just fine with iOS5