iPads at 59th street street NYC store?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hammerfang, Mar 21, 2011.

1. hammerfang macrumors newbie

Tomorrow is my gf's birthday and she has just informed me (after I have asked her numerous times before) that she does in fact what the new iPad. I work a few blocks away from the 59th street store and would be willing to get there around 6:30 and wait till 8:30 to get it (need to be at work after that). She wants a 32 GB Wifi-only model in black. I was just at the store over my lunch break and the guy said they never know how many of each model they will get.

Do you guys think it is even worth it to get up early and wait in line for one? If I have a legitimate shot at getting one then I will do it, if not I will just need to order it online and wait.

2. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

depends how early you're going to get there... 6:30 would probably be too late.. lines are usually 50 deep by then..

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Order online. The weather in NYC is going to be crappy this week--not good for waiting in line for hours only to have the reseller in front of you grab the last 10 iPads.

4. hammerfang thread starter macrumors newbie

what time would I need to get there to have a good shot of getting one? Also, do you think I could get the 32GB black wifi model or is that sort of rare?

5. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Tonight!

Your guess is as good as anyone's

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

start heading over there now

7. hammerfang thread starter macrumors newbie

haha I was just there, no iPads, doesn't sound like getting there at 6:30 will work either.

8. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

if all else fails a gift card may go over nicely. it's worked for me with my wimins.

9. SiMBa37 macrumors regular

You have to really understand how this works, at least in NY. The scalpers are quite organized and start lining up the night before for a 9AM sale. There is no way to beat them, as they can take shifts with others. Your best bet is getting lucky at Target or Best Buy. The Long Island stores will offer no better luck.

Apple Buying Experience = killed by iPad 2

10. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

From what I hear, you'd need to camp out from the night before! I don't think the model you want is rare, per se, but getting any model iPad these days seem to be really really hard.

11. firehead428 macrumors member

I have that one. Gonna sell it once my white 16gb wifi comes in.

12. Mochaboy macrumors newbie

Not until the world wide launch passes. Until then you're going to be lining up against these guys:
    [​IMG]

That was taken about 4:30pm at the Fifth ave store on a wet and windy Monday - I counted about 30-40 in that group in the foreground with more out of sight behind them. NYPD was there and keeping the line sitters off the sidewalk and ushering them into that courtyard area.

I totally get the whole opportunistic capitalization of short supply, but what I think is totally uncool is that that group of 30 people doubles into 60 or more the next morning when their "friends waiting in the car" join them.

You really should take a picture of the line at certain times and show the apple employees who's cutting in line. I've read reports of them booting people for trying to cut, but to be honest, Fifth Ave and at least MeatPacking are going to be off limits until after the worldwide launch.

I honestly don't see what's so hard about limiting 1 per customer due to extraordinary supply constraints, but at the end of the day, they really can't do anything about it so the rest of us that don't belong to these reselling gangs are forced to search elsewhere.

-m