iPads for our company

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Rickpwns, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Rickpwns macrumors newbie

Hello,

First of all I am not quite sure if I am posting in the right section. If I am not, can a mod please move this? Thank you!

We want to give out iPads to our employees. But we want to configure the iPads the way we want it. We already saw you had the MDM, first of all I want to notice that we have an custom made App which is NOT located in the Application store, is it still possible to add this app through iTunes (Like we used to do) and then Sync it with other devices?

Is it possible to open MDM with Windows? If not are there any alternatives? Because we are a Dutch country, there is no App called MDM, do we need the Apple Configurator?

We need around 25 iPads, 5 for every location. Do we need 5 different iTunes account, or can we just use a single one?

As you can see we still have many questions, we would appreciate if someone can answer them!

Thank you in advance!

Rick

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Your best bet here is to contact Apple corporate support for your area...maybe:
    http://www.apple.com/uk/contact/

One of the numbers here should get you started....From there they will be able to open a corporate account, allowing discount and meeting the MDM requirements for each iPad...It's probable that working with them that they can be configured and ready to go out of the box.

3. Rickpwns thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply, the problem is that I tried contacting Apple support in my country (The Netherlands). Too bad they only offer English support at the moment. I don't have the time to set-up a phone call at the moment, but when there's no one that can help me here, I will call tomorrow.

Once again, thank you for your answer!

4. michalm macrumors newbie

Mdm

Hello,

you have two options. You can either purchase MDM software (which I highly recommend for this scenario), which will control and apply policies to those devices. One of those policies could be Application delivery ;)

The second option is somewhat difficult to pull off (never seen it done), but possible. On your OSX server you install iOS management SW and then you create profile which you upload onto the devices.

Honestly, business devices needs to be compliant with your laws and business policies and the only way to do that, that is the Mobile Device Management (MDM). Have a look at Citrix XenMobile, VMware AirWatch and AppSense MobileNow.

5. Rickpwns thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for you reply, you really helped me here. I have one question for you: Which program do you prefer? And does this program support the ability to add a custom App that is NOT located in the App Store?

Once again, thank you very much for answering!

6. michalm macrumors newbie

Hello,

every MDM I have outlined above supports this. You upload the signed *.ipa, assign this "package" to individual devices and it gets deployed wirelessly via push.

My job is exactly this, architecting the solutions, but for much larger corporations with thousands of devices and I prefer XenMobile. All those solutions above exists as cloud or on-premise solutions and you are able to get a "DEMO" license for like 30 days, unlimited devices.

You can sign up, try it out and voila! Then you make a decision whether to purchase such a tool or not. If your company is high-security environment, then you will just try the cloud version and then, for production, install on-premise.

If you want to try it, try AppSense if you can stay in cloud, or XenMobile, if you need on-premise.

Visit those web pages, read up and a new corporate mobility world will rise in front of you ;)

7. Rickpwns thread starter macrumors newbie

Got it. Thank you very much for assisting me! I am an intern at a Dutch company, so I really want to do the right thing :)

8. michalm macrumors newbie

Read up, present it to your manager and you'll be a star :)

9. Rickpwns, Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014

Rickpwns thread starter macrumors newbie

I came up with another question, my apologies for asking so much. We probably prefer not to use a cloud service. Do you think buying an Mac Mini (Server) and then host the MDM at that machine would work?
    We will probably use around 25 iPads. I heard that you can add up to 5 products to your iTunes account, right? So we probably need 5 iTunes account to let this work? What do you recommend?

Also, is it possible to push updates over the air? Like if they are home the next time they connect to a wifi their software (iOS) and apps will update?

10. michalm macrumors newbie

You didn't read! :)

Anyway, MDM has nothing to do with iTunes, iClouds or any accounts of that sorts. Second, MDM is usually hosted on windows server machine.

25 devices is a lot to manually manage via OSX server, really, go with MDM.

If you would like on-premise solution, first try the cloud one (they have the same functionality), if it works, install the on-premise one. At this point it should get handled by IT which handles windows servers, as it would be one of them.

Just remember, if you have MDM, you don't need any accounts anywhere! You just enroll the device to the MDM server and it can control the device and deploy just by itself. You can even disable iCloud, so the user won't be able to use his appleid...

11. Rickpwns thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry, I completely lost you here. I thought MDM was an application in the App Store also known as Apple Configurator, only available for Mac. That is why I came up with an Mac Mini purchase.

You tell me that we don't need a single account to configure the MDM?

Thank you again for your reply.

12. michalm macrumors newbie

Yep, you got it wrong.

MDM is Mobile Device Management made by various manufacturers. It installs on Windows Server and from there it manages iOS, Android and all other devices. It controls policies, deploys apps etc.

It has no connection to regular user "stores" or accounts. It uses special part of iOS and Android operating systems to control the devices directly.

Now you should head to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_device_management

;)

13. Rickpwns thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I get it now, thank you for your help.