Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oceanjaws

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
Todmorden, West Yorkshire
Hi.
We bought about 30 iPads some time back for our school, but they aren't compatible with the latest OS.
This means that our ipads will soon be useless.
We can't afford to replace them with new iPads. Is there anything that can be done? Do Apple have a policy on this at all?

Here are details from one of the iPads

capacity - 12GB
version - 9.3.5 (13G36)
model - MF432B/A

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I don’t think Apple can help you there. Are the apps that you need not working anymore? A slightly older operating system doesn’t necessarily mean that the devices stop working altogether.

XtremeArtists

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2018
The iPad Mini 1 is from 2012, and can't be updated to newer iOS, but you can always trade it in.

If the applications work, I would keep using them.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
Send them to me. We have no funding for our school this year and could use 30 old iPads. They will still go online and still be able to use Microsoft 365 and Google. Our students would be forever grateful.

oceanjaws

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 20, 2007
Todmorden, West Yorkshire
I don’t think Apple can help you there. Are the apps that you need not working anymore? A slightly older operating system doesn’t necessarily mean that the devices stop working altogether.
There is one very important app (Showbie) which co-ordinates students progress in music. Students and teachers can post assignments, advice, videos and recordings. It's a great app. This one is the really important one. I over-egged the pudding when I said they will soon be useless. They can still be used for lots of other things, but this is the primary issue, and one that knocks out a whole chunk of functionality for the Music Dept.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
There is one very important app (Showbie) which co-ordinates students progress in music. Students and teachers can post assignments, advice, videos and recordings. It's a great app. This one is the really important one. I over-egged the pudding when I said they will soon be useless. They can still be used for lots of other things, but this is the primary issue, and one that knocks out a whole chunk of functionality for the Music Dept.

Does this application no longer work on older versions of iOS? You might think about replacing it with something simple like Google Classroom, where you can do the same things.

Reactions: oceanjaws
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.