iPad's GSM Micro Sim = No iPhone SIMs

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by modit, Jan 27, 2010.

1. modit macrumors 6502

Can't believe how Apple is pushing this proprietary GSM micro sim. They're trying to stop people from just slapping their iPhone SIMs into the iPad.

Wow...could have been so much more. I'll bet they'll introduce iSight in the next revision along with a camera in the iPod touch.

Buy. Don't Buy. Buy. I'm Confused! :rolleyes:

2. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

personally i never buy first gen. of tech product

3. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Kinda surprised this isn't getting more replies. Maybe it's being talked about in another thread. But the ability to use your iPhone SIM in the iPad would have been a huge bonus and incentive to get one. It's really obvious that they went with Micro SIM to stop people from doing just that (yeah there could have been technical/design reasons too, but I bet they could have had a regular SIM slot if they'd really wanted). Not that not having 3G is a deal-breaker for the iPad, really, especially if you already have an iPhone, but it would have been nice.

4. tys macrumors 6502

I read somewhere that a Micro SIM has the same connections as a regular SIM but without the extra plastic around it.
    Would it be possible to cut down the iPhone SIM to use with the iPad and then use an adapter when putting it back in the iPhone?
    I agree that the micro SIM choice was done for the reasons you suggest. The iPad obviously has room for a full size SIM.

5. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

They would have done it with the iphone too I am sure if it was not for the europeans.

6. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

So would it accept a normal size GSM sim card? If not they have obviously cut out a lot of customers... I dont know many carriers which offer MicroSIM. If not i will just have to trim down my sim card...

7. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

This was one of the first things I noticed. I can't imagine any other reason for doing this other than keeping smartphone users from hopping on AT&T's network with the iPad.

8. mpleonard macrumors newbie

Maybe the next generation iPhone will include one of these micro SIMs too?

9. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

This is definitely one to watch. Either we'll see the whole market start to move to this format, or it'll be dropped in Rev B.

Don't think I'll be buying the Rev A if the widespread availability of micro SIMs doesn't materialise.

10. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

i was thinking the same thing.

11. ukcolinr macrumors regular

I'm curious by this statement? I know of no European country that uses Micro SIMs??? In fact if you look at the article about Micro SIMs on Wikipedia, they list the only known device to use them at the current time as the iPad?

12. MTI macrumors 65816

Why would you want to use an iPhone AT&T sim card? Can't be used for phone calls, so you'd be paying for a voice plan that will just carry over minutes . . .

Why put a webcam in a handheld device if you have to hold it like a mirror to get a good image?

13. wingnut8 macrumors 65816

wingnut8

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Well you could take your sim out of your phone the use data on the ipad when you need it.

14. MTI macrumors 65816

When did Apple users become such cheapskates? :D

15. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

well 30$ a month adds up ;)
    cause when i have an iphone and occasionally when i just wana use the data on a ipad im going to pay 15$ a month?

16. MTI macrumors 65816

$15 a month . . . $0.50 per day . . . shall I ask my intial question again? Cheapskates.

17. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

yes but then a year with other expenses a penny can make a difference. then you add tax and other fees. my att bill is already 250 with this it will be 300.

50X12=600

no thx

18. MTI macrumors 65816

:) $50 a year is a "deal breaker" . . . okay, if you say so.

19. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

no 600 dollars a year is a deal breaker:)

20. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I would suggest getting the wifi only version.

21. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

GSM Micro is NOT proprietary, it's a true standard. However, no U.S. company, other than ATT, has agreed to use it. Clever way to lock people in w/o locking them in, but just the same T-Mob could offer GSM Micro SIMs if they wanted, no prob.

Regardless, it would do you no good to stick your iPhone SIM in the iPad even if it accepted the more conventional size, i.e., it wouldn't get you 3G or phone service.

22. MTI macrumors 65816

My bad on the math. When discussing the $15/mo rate plan, are you saying that with taxes it goes to $50? Or are you factoring an "unlimited" plan costing $50?

23. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

This is akin to trying to say could trim the plastic off of an existing SDHC card to get a mini-SDHC one. It isn't merely "plastic" that are trimming off.

http://www.fonearena.com/blog/2010/01/28/what-is-a-microsim-or-3ff-sim-card.html

1. They SIM and MicroSIM/Mini-UICC/3FF are the same thickness. So it will be hard to "insert" the smaller in the larger because won't insert "into". Conceptually you'd have a cut-out. The other issue is that it is smaller in all dimensions except thickness. So the pins don't necessarily line directly up.

2. Format aimed at smaller "data modems" or other devices that are small. While the iPad isn't small it is definitely just leveraging it for a data only modem.

Back on the 7th (weeks before the iPad announcement), Tmobile said there was going to have these for another device. (perhaps they have a plan. ;-) While you only get EDGE on their network in the US... they do also have a national WiFi network. A national coverage WiFi + miniSIM plan would probably work for many if priced right. )

http://m2m.tmcnet.com/topics/m2mevo...lok8u-t-mobile-launch-micro-3ff-sim-cards.htm

For are producing new ones quickly.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2358489,00.asp

24. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

yah unlimed since i use like 2 gigs just on my phone :rolleyes: then taxes and fees is almost 50 a month

any way i have a plan. if the next iphone has the new sim no prob. but if not ill just transfer my plan to the microsim and hope that a adapter for the iphone comes out for microsim

25. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Does any other phone company in the world use it?