iPads help make strides with Autistic Children!!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by viriiguy, Mar 13, 2011.

1. viriiguy macrumors newbie

{Quoted from my blog}
    Autism affects 1 in every 160 children that are born today. With such increasingly high numbers of cases, it is more and more important that we find ways to assist those affected with Autism to be able to better communicate with the world. And that is exactly what Doctors and Teachers have done with the iPad!

In today's every increasing technological world, the iPad is standing out as a hero to some parents of Autistic children. Teachers and Doctors have found that Autistic children are naturally drawn to the iPad. They believe it is the familiarity on knowing exactly what to expect when they touch and click on the iPad. While they are generally frustrated by their lack of ability to anticipate human reactions, they know exactly what to expect when they slide a finger across the iPad's 10 inch screen. Even the act of drawing on the iPad is less frustrating, as they are able to handle the iPad a lot easier than they can a crayon or pencil.

One Australian study has shown that it is not just the predictable tapping actions that are helpful, but also various apps have proven to be very beneficial. Such as apps that match colorful and fun graphics to actions or words. In the case of the Australian study, a step by step guide for how to wash your hands was displayed on the iPad. After watching it, the autistic child was able to predict how to wash his hands in real life as well.

Many Teachers, Doctors and Parents have been blessed by seeing their child light up with excitement and learn new skills daily, by using the various apps on the iPad that have been designed to help with Autistic children and other special needs users. With the aide of the iPad, some children have been able to communicate their thoughts to their parents for the very first time! A moment that is sure to tug on the heartstrings of anyone involved.

The rest of the article, with some helpful apps is at iPadawan.info

Randy

2. sanford macrumors 65816

This is cool and all but iPad is just a more convenient, efficient way of delivering proven therapeutic and communicative tools to children on the more severe end of the autistic spectrum. (I use the term "autistic spectrum" because it is common, otherwise I hate it because it's the spectrum is too inclusive. Loner kids are now on the autistic spectrum. Hell, I'm autistic. It's ridiculous.)

3. viriiguy thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree with you on the trend of overarching diagnosis's, that is current int he Medical fields.. Everyone has something...

However, the iPad has proven to be as efficient, if not more so, as the extremely expensive augmentative and alternative communication devices, that regularly cost thousands of dollars.

It's size and lack of external distractions, such as control devices.. like a mouse and keyboard, actually make the iPad a much more efficient tool in a lot of cases.

4. sanford macrumors 65816

Oh, definitely. A $500 iPad beats a $5,000 specialized communicative system all over the place. Tidy side benefit of what Steve Jobs calls the post-PC era.

5. viriiguy thread starter macrumors newbie

I know I wish we had an iPad for my brother 20 years ago! He is not autistic, but he has a severe mental disability. We could not afford an AAC for him as a child, and no programs were available to us, that would get one for him.

If he were born today, life might be different for him.

6. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

I watched the 60 Minutes segment tonight. For some of the autistic kids, the iPad was a truly magical device.

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

This. My friends daughter is autistic and uses one for learning and has made great progress. It keeps her attention and she loves interacting with it.

8. AZ1578 macrumors newbie

So when can I buy an iPad with my FSA or HSA account?

9. Hammie macrumors 65816

Hammie

I'm in the middle of writing a paper on the impact of the iPad in Special Education for a writing class I am taking. It appears the iPad is either a hit or a miss with the students. There tends to not be too much in the middle.

The 60 Minutes segment was right in line with some of my other research. It came another reference for my paper.

10. CuppyCake macrumors member

CuppyCake

Wonderful

I thought it was a great discovery that the iPad could reach some of the children. It was an excellent segment.