Ipads in the Board Room

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Zippie, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Zippie macrumors newbie

Question is directed toward Board Meeting particpants.
    Am I the only one excited about the use of Ipads in the Board Room?

I think it adds that WOW factor to the presentation. Any thoughts....

2. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I'm in a bored thread.

3. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

I'm excited about the day these things become useful tools in the boardroom and aren't just there for the "WOW factor." I work for an investment bank and I see them all over the places these days.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

5. Zippie thread starter macrumors newbie

ouch ! Easy on the Newbie !!!!

6. Zippie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your in put.
    Just attended a board meeting and was amazed seeing them used for the presentation. All the Ipads changing simultaneously. Better than the projector and handouts presentation.

7. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Haha, sorry. I want use my iPad everywhere, but don't like to feel like I'm showing it off in front of other people. Sometimes I want to use it, but I feel too flashy so I go pen and paper. :/ Am I the only one?

8. akm3 macrumors 68020

Umm.

That day was a long time ago?

9. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Lol. No. Not the only one...I feel that way too sometimes. But iPads are becoming commonplace at the office. I don't use it for note taking as I still don't feel like there's a similar "feel" for handwriting on iPads but It's great to look at presentations or info. Saves paper.

So I usually have both. I take a picture of the handwritten notes, upload to Evernote...everything in one place. :)

10. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

I remember using the 1st gen iPad when it first came out. I took it on a business trip and used it in the meeting. Everyone was distracted because they kept looking at it to see what it was. The lady giving the presentation kept smiling at me and she joked that "the guy with the new iPad was getting more attention than her." Needless to say, I slept with her later that night.

11. palpatine macrumors 68040

i have not found the ipad to be much of a chick magnet. more of a dude magnet, if anything. geeky dudes.

i don't hang out in board rooms these days, but i see ipads pretty much anywhere, so i don't see why it would be a big deal. then again, some companies are still running xp (i have even seen windows 95 with my own eyes), and i guess an ipad would be sort of like a magical unicorn or a wormhole opening up and sucking them into the future.

12. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Your iPad was meant to be used anywhere you need it. And how is it showing off? Use the device you got, wherever, however and whenever you want and don't be so concerned that people may think you're "showing" off. Really guys, thats the silliest thing i have ever heard!

13. E3BK macrumors 68020

E3BK

Different work environments for different people. This was a year ago. Now everyone has one. But thanks for the unnecessary judgement!

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Using a $499 to $829 device is not showing off.

Executives wear watches that are worth as much as a car sometimes.

Multi-touch magic!

15. akm3 macrumors 68020

COST as much as a car - not worth as much as a car.

16. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I am with the people who feel too flashy using it in the workplace, being in the IT department I can see multiple uses for it..

17. CandyCane23049 macrumors regular

I'm a cashier and our registers still use Windows 2000. :rolleyes:

Ipads around my way are still not common, two people I know of have them and use them for classes so when people see them using it they still get the wow factor. Hell even some people who bring their laptops to class still get the wow factor.

18. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I find anything in the board room distracting, especially things like iPads.

If anyone starts tapping on their phones I get really annoyed.

Take notes but board rooms are about participation, interaction and discussion.

If you want to bring your posh fountain pen and leather bound writing pad feel free but leave the toys for later.

We only use iPads and similar to test and discuss apps we have built.

Unless you can synchronise the iPad to a presentation, forget it.

19. Kupp macrumors regular

Too true, that got a chuckle out of me.

20. CuppyCake macrumors member

CuppyCake

Use It

This sounds like a statement from my BFF. It is an effective tool and the multitasking is great. You are not showing off; others are just hating.

21. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Personally, I find the iPad brilliant for board meetings. It is actually lighter than the papers that I would otherwise have to bring to the meeting. I also have papers from previous meetings with me which I wouldn't ordinarily have bought with me. My typing skills are also far better than my writing skills, so I keep better notes.
    I was the first on my board to have an iPad, now half of the other members do. I wouldn't be without it.

22. Zippie thread starter macrumors newbie

Sure I've seen it done.

23. imahawki macrumors 6502a

I'm not on a board but I work in corporate audit and I know we just distributed iPads to our board with software called boardvantage (IIRC). The reason is board meeting materials are sensitive (often having audit findings, details about ongoing litigation, future product information, etc.) Many companies have for years distributed hard copies of materials in 3-4" thick binders. That's a lot to lug around and if it gets lost/stolen, its gone. With this solution, the iPad is password protected and the content can be remotely removed via the boardvantage software. Its a lot more secure, not just a WOW factor.

24. FloatingBones macrumors 65816

FloatingBones

I recall an interview with Aaron Hillegass of the Big Nerd Ranch. They're famous for their programming courses, but they also do a fair amount of contract programming.

Aaron noted that there are some boards of directors who have ordered custom software for their particular business. Aaron's point was that we're in an age where someone with sufficient motivation can indeed get one-off software for their iPads.

IIRC, Aaron didn't give any specifics why those boards actually needed custom code. Perhaps he had to maintain a confidentiality agreement.