iPads in unusual use scenarios

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Traxan, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Traxan macrumors member

Recently I've seen some ads for a new Hyundai car that uses an iPad in place of the glove box manual. I also recall a restaurant that replaced its menus with iPads. So I'm wondering what other unusual uses for the iPad people have seen out there.

2. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

certain airlines use them in place of the pilots traditional flight charts. U. S. Navy and Marines do the same. The Army uses them to call in artillery and air support.

3. hfletcher macrumors 6502

hfletcher

We use them in the General Aviation industry a lot... Saves 5 Volume's worth of paper charts using the Jepp app. Not sure if that's 'unusual' though...

4. Traxan thread starter macrumors member

Oh yeah I heard about airlines replacing the pre-flight checklist with an iPad.

5. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Harris is developing iPad (and Android) apps to control US Army UAVs.

The idea is that you see what the UAV camera sees, and you can just point on the screen at what you're interested in... the camera rotates and zooms in.

6. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

This is already the way it works, minus finger input, but I would argue in this case physical controls are more accurate and quicker. I can see using an iPad as a secondary input in an area where traditionally set top boxes can't be used to control the UAV for better CAS support or BDA, but not to replace the original control node.