Ipad's picture transfer ?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bosep, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Bosep macrumors regular

Hi, is it possible to transfer picture from my camera to the ipad without loosing size/quality on the picture? or is it as crappy as the iphone on that part? :(

2. robotkiller macrumors 6502

robotkiller

I'm guessing here - but I bet it transfers the picture whole, without compression. The iPad views RAW images, which it would be unlikely to compress, so I assume JPGs would be treated the same.

3. G4R2 macrumors 6502a

The Photo app on the iPhone doesn't view .jpg files from your photo library directly. Instead, iTunes converts .jpgs into uncompressed RAW files with the .ithmb extension. These .ithmb files are then uploaded to the iPhone for viewing. The presumed reason that these files are uncompressed is that it takes some processing power to decompress .jpg's. The downside is that these files tend to be much larger then the original .jpg's. I believe on the iPhone these files can be either 52k or 708k in size regardless of the original file.

This is why images viewed in the photo app are of a lower quality then the original images. They are scaled to fit the screen and converted into RAW .ithmb images.

It would be interesting to see how Apple will adapt this approach to the iPod since they are also including the camera import kit. The utility of this kit would be severely diminished if the image quality of the original images is reduced.

4. Bosep thread starter macrumors regular

If that's the case I will buy one :=)

5. wyneken macrumors regular

The iPad Features page at the Apple site says:

So I take this to mean that, even if iTunes still has the annoying habit of reformatting your files, you can get around that by e-mailing them to yourself and importing them directly into iPhoto on the iPad. Or just downloading them straight from the camera.

6. jamies90 macrumors regular

Any idea if the older iPod camera dock will work with the iPad?

I'm hoping it will but knowing my luck it wont.

7. CVC macrumors member

The iPad tech specs page says this about the Camera Connection Kit:

That's interesting. It doesn't say that the Camera Connection Kit supports those formats, but the iPad does. And that's including JPEG and RAW, which means other formats as well. Maybe that means photo editing programs can be created with the ability to transfer back and forth to a computer.

I read somewhere some speculation on this. Although nobody knows for certain, but since the old camera dock isn't supported by current iPods they doubted it would work with the iPad.

8. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I'm curious if the camera adapters and the iPad are programmed to look for photos and tranfer them when anything it plugged in, or if the iPad will open up a file browser so you can drag only the photos you want off what's plugged in.

Anyone have an opinion about it? It would also be nice to be able to transfer ANY media content off an SD card or USB thumb drive when plugged in. Songs, Videos, ebooks, etc..

9. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

im going to take wild guess but due to the bigger screen apple may keep them the reg size.

10. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

If it automatically transferred all content over, it would be incredibly irritating. I want to select what I want, and I believe that is what we'll be able to do.

11. Stoney79 macrumors member

I'm guessing we won't be able to move photos from one album to another on the ipad or delete photos. Please someone tell me I'm wrong??

12. RobBookPro macrumors regular

the videos i have seen demonstrate that you can zoom in quite well on photos without them going pixelated. I believe itunes will not be reformatting images for the ipad.

However i will probably be reformatting them myself so that they are sharpened properly at the screens resolution.

13. pirateRACE macrumors 6502

Good thread. I may be in the minority, but one of my biggest reasons for the iPad is to be a digital album for our family pictures and videos. I can't think of a better way to share my photos than to pick up an iPad.

I hope the file sizes stay similar...

14. vini-vidi-vici macrumors 6502

I think nobody really knows for certain... I plan to batch-resize the images I want on my iPad to 1024 on the long side, and will sync the iPad with that directory structure. I'm hoping that this will leave me with a decent looking image on the screen. however, I'll lose any ability to zoom-in for more detail. But, I rarely need to do that on the iPad anyway. I see the iPad as a photo viewer, not an editor or analyzer...

I'm working off a PC... and do all my image management with photoshop & lightroom, so I have no idea how iPhoto works. After I've edited images from a particular shoot, I have an action that exports properly-sized images to the directory I sync with (and/or creates a new directory/folder when appropriate).

15. samcraig macrumors P6

It's possible that via iPhoto or whatever xfer method, the iPad will have "smart" resizing. IE - when you xfer files it will give you a pop up that asked if you want to resize your photos or not. And if you select yes, it will resize on the fly as it copies.