iPads screen issues, 6 months after

Discussion in 'iPad' started by TC03, Sep 17, 2012.

1. TC03, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012

TC03 macrumors 65816

Okay, so we've had the new iPad for almost 6 months. We've known there initially have been a lot of complaints about yellow screens. I'm wondering how people and Apple are dealing with it 6 months later later.

The reason why I start this thread is because I did something I should not have done, I pulled out my iPad, which is was very happy with, to compare it with an iPad in the store, and I immediately regretted doing so. My iPad had a very yellow tint and the contrast was much lower, whereas the iPads in the store were very vivid, bright and had good contrast. It was just much, much better. I'm not being picky, anyone could see it.

How would Apple deal with it? If I went to the store (which is a ~2 hour travel for me), would they swap it or would they simply state that it is 'within spec'? My iPad is a few months old.

To the people with yellow screes, how are you dealing with it? Do you simply not care or have you accepted your fate?

2. augustya macrumors 68000

augustya

Anybody who has bought recently in the last 1-2 days can confirm this ? ON how are the screens ? Anbody using a September Bought "DY" unit ? Can you report how the screen is ?

3. VidPro macrumors 6502a

VidPro

I don't have a yellow tint issue but I do a have a warm screen. I actually prefer this attribute but what I did have was some unevenness pink to greenish blue. I can honestly say that that has all but disappeared over time. I'm very happy with my launch iPad 3.

4. Rodster macrumors 68040

I have a warm tint on my iPad 3 and when I crank up the brightness it produces a brilliant white level. I actually prefer a cool tint but I have come to appreciate warm tint as it's easier on my eyes.

5. TC03 thread starter macrumors 65816

The tint is not really the problem or me, it's the lack of contrast in comparison with other screens. Doesn't anyone else experience that? And more importantly, do you think Apple might swap it for this reason?

6. iLLUMI macrumors 6502

You could start by comparing the 4 character serial number prefix of yours to the in-store demo models or to other iPad 3 owners to try and determine where/when yours was manufactured and if they are known to be faulty.

As I've discovered in recent months, and even today with the iPhone 5, Apple uses different companies to manufacture display panels.
    Have a read of this article regarding the iPhone and different display panel manufacturers:
    http://www.webpronews.com/iphone-5-screens-finally-being-shipped-by-sharp-2012-09
    It could be the same for the 3rd gen iPad. At some point Apple may have switched companies or the company that produced the yellow tinted screens may have since fixed their issue.

As iPad's have a 1 year warranty and it has only been 6 months, I would wipe all your personal data and apps and take it back to Apple for a replacement. Check the serial number (on the back of the box) to ensure they're not about to hand over old stock. (This is why you need to do some research on serial numbers). While there, set up the replacement iPad as normal then compare it to the one you've returned. If you don't see much of a difference with the contrast then you could conclude that this is normal for your particular model.
    The Demo model you compared yours to may have different specs.
    However I'm fairly confident that the difference solely comes down to the type of display panel fitted as mentioned above.

I've just been doing some research and found a couple of serial numbers with varying prefixes (4 character prefix) - DLXH & DMPH. I believe this indicates two different manufacturing locations. From what I can determine, iPad 3's with a DMPH prefix should be okay. Maybe the DLXH ones are not okay??

I just found the following thread. Have a read of Otis52's post regarding DY prefixed serials. Does yours start with DY? It may confirm you have one of the bad ones:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1362769&page=3

Good luck with this!!
    :)

7. Fruit Cake macrumors 6502a

Before you compare yours, I'd suggest crank your brightness to max because tats what apple does,then compare. I used to care but now they're much of a muchness, you get used to your screen over time worts n all
    To the people with yellow screes, how are you dealing with it? Do you simply not care or have you accepted your fate?

8. TC03 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks a lot. Mine starts with DMQH, so this doesn't really tell anything.

----------

I did crank it up to max brightness. Especially in the settings menu the difference was very obvious.

9. TC03 thread starter macrumors 65816

Allright, I replaced it today but I still have the same yellow screen unfortunately. Starting to think this is just the type of screen people get nowadays...

10. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

i have an iPad 2 and was thinking of upgrading to an iPad 3 32GB Verizon LTE now that hopefully the screen issues are gone.

however coming across this thread, now i am hesitant.

i was looking to save some money and go refurbished, but i bet all of the refurbished units still have the original screens since the techs in china couldn't notice a problem so they just slapped a new aluminum shell and battery on it and shipped it back the USA.

the one thing i can think of why you got a replacement iPad 3 that still had a yellow screen, was that it was a brown box refurb. did they grab a brown box unit and give that to you? those are refurbs and due to my educational guess above, the screens were never replaced despite the product being returned for the yellow screen.

oh the humanity..........

11. AL123 macrumors newbie

i just got an ipad 3. DY series. manufactured in june.
    - a yellow shade on the left side, bottom and lower and upper right side. more prominent on the keyboard. '123' and 'spacebar' look faded. it's not a complete yellow tint on the entire screen though.
    - yet to see an ipad 3 with perfect screen. what is the situation here? they all get it exchanged time and again, but to no avail.
    - they claim it gets 'perfect' after a week/month usage. no documented proof available. tear down showed it's not the same iphone 4s glue issue.
    - ipad 2 has a whiter/brighter and more vivid screen. at full brightness, ipad 3 fails to impress me. for this price tag, the compromise isn't worth it.

will it get 100% fine with time?
    is iOS6 an improvement as far as screen is concerned?
    shall i wait for ipad mini?

12. TC03 thread starter macrumors 65816

So I exchanged it again because the screen had a red spot in the top left corner. Besides that it was ok, not perfect but ok. However, the new screen is horrible. It lacks saturation and has a green/grey hue to it.

I took two photos in a bit of an awkward angle to simulate 'real' ambient light and you can see clearly how grey/green it is. Brightness is at 50%.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. derThomas macrumors member

My personal iPad 3 story.

Bought an iPad 3, Black, 32GB, Cellular, last monday at the Gravis-Store nuremberg. Back at home, switch it on and thinking "****". Yellow tint on complete upper side. And an 5mm overexposed border around the whole display. Last but not least, massive afterglow over the whole screen.
    Today, I visited the store again, talk to the service personal. Replacement was not a problem. He gave me the chance to choose a device by serial-number, but he had only two :) maybe, i pick the right one. It's impressive!

New one was build in kw 26 (the good one); the old one was build in kw 29 (the bad one).

14. vish26 macrumors regular

What do you mean KW 26 ? and KW 29 ?

15. derThomas macrumors member

sorry, i meant the calendar week ( in german kw ).

16. The Special One macrumors member

The whole screen thing is a lottery. There are good ones and real crappy ones out there. My iPhone 5 has no screen issues. Every iPad 3 I got had them. It is a QC thing with the iPad.